No announcement yet.

What tires do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 for the Lasertecs. Good in the rain and smooth in the corners.

They were okay in the snow too, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

I am also using the Metzeler Lasertecs.
      No complaints, much better than the continentals that were on before. I would definitely buy another set in the future.
      1980 xs1100 LG Midnight Special - first bike - pickup wire fix - fuel lines, inline filters, and inline shutoff valves - rebuilt calipers -

Comment

Roadrunners

I wanted Battlax's last time but got a Roadrunner on front and a Spitfire on rear . Spitfire is gone at 10,000 kms . I got a Roadrunner for the rear now and they seem sticky . Front Roadrunner is cupping .Next time round I will try extra hard for the Battlax's .
        XJ1100K
        Avon rubber
        MikesXS black coils
        Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
        MikesXS front master
        Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
        Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
        Progressive fork springs
        CIBIE headlight reflector
        YICS Eliminator

Comment

After the last two weeks I'm sold on the ContiTour's I just ordered a sets for the xs 750 my wifes CB 400 the Suzuki GS and the KZ.
          I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

Gotta go with Trbig on this one, put an E-3 (rear) on this spring, got over 14,000 on her and still have lots of tread left. Has worn a little flat across the center but still hangs on to the road like a hungry wood tick on a dog and works well in the rain. As 6,000mi was the best I have ever done on any other rear tire I am tickled with this, it may make well into next season. I can drag the kickstand easy with this tire and never could have done that before. It will absolutely be my next tire!
            The Old Tamer
            1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Don't go! It's a trap! There's two of them!

Hi Trbig, Daniel,
              I'm always keen to hear about high mileage tires so I Googled "Dunlop Elite 3" and hey! They make them in radial ply and in bias ply. Where do we go from here?
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I have wondered that myself. I've heard on here about dire warnings of running a radial on our bikes, or mixing a radial rear with bias front or vice versa. AND.. I've heard that is a load of crap from some reputable sources. Is it another case of "Don't jump start a bike from a running car" wive's tale?

I have absolutely no personal knowledge on this subject... but I do wonder about it myself. I know a radial on a car is a vast improvement over bias ply... so wondering why the same doesn't apply here?

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I bought front and back Dunlop Elite 3's that I was going to put on my 1100SG. I bought my two bikes this time last year off of Ebay.

I got looking at the tires that were on my SG and figured they were in great shape so I left them on. The bike is now being stored in Maine so I can't go see what brand they are.

The Elite 3's are going to go on my SH that I hope to have running by Spring of '09. The tires on that one are much more worn.

Don
                  currently own;
                  1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                  2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Me too

I am also interested in the pros & cons of radial vs bias ply. I had a small Plymouth Horizon once and used it to haul and launch a 21' McGreggor sailboat that was much larger and much heavier than the Horizon. I found that Radial on the rear and Bias ply on the front (drive wheels) worked really good. Especially in hard stopping situations it would help keep everything in a straight line.
                    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                    Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system
                    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

NOT an old wives tale

"Is it another case of "Don't jump start a bike from a running car" wive's tale? "
                      Hi trbig,
                      being a slow learner, I did it twice. Boosted another vehicle from my running car and each had the needle of the car's electronic tach stick at ~2,000 rpm once I turned the car off. I had to reach in through the little hole where the trip odometer zero knob sticks out with apiece of mechanic's wire to pull the needle back to zero. That was enough to teach me that yes, boosting from a running car can indeed mess with that car's electrics.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

tires

dunlop 501 130 80 16 front
                        dunlop 501 130 90 16 rear

you can slip it if your leanned hard but normal driving it's fine as wine

ps have fj 1100 fork so 16 in front
                        bill hane

Comment

radial tires

I did a "google" and found this on another site:

What’s the difference between radial tires and bias-ply tires?
                          The main difference between radials and bias-ply tires lies in their construction. Tires aren’t just toroidal balloons, they are reinforced with cords of steel or synthetic materials such as nylon or Aramid. In bias-ply tires, the fibers are wrapped in an X pattern between the beads; in radial tires, the fibers are wrapped perpendicular to the tread. Radial tires have more flexible sidewalls than bias-ply tires, and thus absorb road irregularities better and have a comparatively larger contact patch when leaned over. Because of the flexible nature of a radial, these offer higher mileage compared with a comparable bias-ply for a given rubber compound. Since they absorb small road irregularities better, they ride more comfortably and are less likely to be upset by groovy pavement.
                          While radial tires perform better than bias tires, some older motorcycles can’t be fitted with radial tires because of differences in rim profiles. You probably won’t notice much of a difference anyway, so stick with boas tires if that’s what the motorcycle was designed for.
                          Why can’t I mix radials and bias tires?
                          The different ways in which radial and bias tires react to sideways loads can lead to unpredictable behavior while cornering. It’s bad enough to do this on a four-wheeler, but it can be even worse on a motorcycle. If you need to replace one tire and the same type is not available, then go ahead and replace both tires with the same type.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Bridgestone Spits or Kenda Challengers

Well, I've been driving Xsives since 1982 when I bought my first one, and I've gone through Conti's Bridgestones, Yokohamas, and Kendas. I can STILL get a set of Kendas for 125 bucks for the bike. For my style of driving, which is moderate (still have to whip some Honda Civic punks once in awhile you know) the Kendas have returned the best bang for the buck. To me, they seem like a clone of the Spitfire, including saying they have a dual compound tread. If you like to drag pipes, and generally scare the sh*t out of yourself, then perhaps you won't like them, but up here in the PNWet, where it rains lots, and the roads are greasy, I have always felt comfortable turning some moderate corners at regular speed with worrying. Mileage has been fine for me too, because I check that my alignment/pressure/ is where it's supposed to be.
                            Court
                            Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Metzler Metronics front & rear.Good grip-rears dont last too long...maybe if I stopped doin burnouts in my garage haha

''+1 for the Lasertecs. Good in the rain and smooth in the corners'' I think mine are too. V rated . +2
                              80 XS11 Standard Australia

Comment

I have run Metzeler 880 Marathons on my 81 Special now for over 40K miles, in wet and dry, and moderate driving. Average 14-18K a year. Now on the third set. I have gotten at least 13K out of the front tires and a bit less from the rear tires. Also running the 880 's on my 79 Special. same results, never had a single problem on these tires. They also do well on grooved highways.
                                I have been looking at the Kenda's though, run those on my 4 wheelers and are great tires. May give them a try next.
                                Ken Krieger
                                Chesterfield, Va.
                                81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
                                82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
                                82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
                                79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
                                1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
                                85 XJ700 Maxim
                                06 VMax - Black Max
                                85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

Working...