Vyger gets longer legs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vyger gets longer legs!

Just completed installing a XS850 F/D on my 'F'.

Having a lathe, I whipped up an aluminum spacer that press fits on the drive shaft followed by an 'O' ring to act as a cushion.

I press fit 5/32 (4mm) aluminum pins into the oil holes. Should be OK because there is no pressure behind them and will only get tighter as the housing warms up. I coated them in 5 minute epoxy just to make sure they don't leak or move.

Kind of a risky move before a 2400 mile trip, but what the heck. The worse that can happen is it leaks a bit. I'll just have to keep an eye on it. I will put a couple of hundred miles on it before I leave.

Off I got for my test ride!
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

kit

Your bike have the Big Bore Kit?................Hey when we gonna see pics of the R1 rear wheel?
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

No R1 rear wheel. Life and the lack of $$ keep getting in the way.

My first iteration will be a VMax 170x80-15. Hopefully this winter. Once I get a 170mm rear, I can move to 17" radials front and rear (with R1 front forks).

I keep looking for a FJR1300 rear wheel, but not been able to land one yet. I do have a plan to modify a R1 wheel to take the shaft drive as a back-up plan. THEN, it will be a big bore kit.
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

nother option

would be a rear wheel from a Road Warrior. It could take the Fjr drive hub. I have had a few PM's about the R1 front end and replied that the spring would probably have to be changed, but was waiting to see what you came up with.....Sorry for putting you on the spot....You cannot rush perfection, for sure....chop
        MDRNF
        79F.....Not Stock

Comment

I am a little concerned about the the front springs also. It might be possible to drill and tap an air valve so the springs can be air assisted. Or, just have custom springs made. That usually mean big $$. It would be nice to be able to use the XS progressive springs, but I have not looked inside my R1 forks yet.
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

alternative rear

Item number: 330260729014......Nice price....so far. I also Know that the road star warrior Forks are essentially the R1 forks with super beefy springs.....JAT
            MDRNF
            79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Cool option (Warrior wheel). I will have to keep an eye on that one (I am currently the high bidder).

Warrior from spring is also a good option.

Thanks for the info.
              DZ
              Vyger, 'F'
              "The Special", 'SF'
              '08 FJR1300

Comment

RADIALS

nothin like them, you'll be hooked
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Just got back from my test ride. I like it! It really smoothed out the vibrations. Having clip-ons tends to transmit more vibrations to my hands. I also like the wider power band. I feel I can utilize the XSs wonderful torque band more.

I have been getting consistently 38-39 mpg. It will be interesting to see how that is impacted.

I have often felt like the XS needed one more gear.
                  DZ
                  Vyger, 'F'
                  "The Special", 'SF'
                  '08 FJR1300

Comment

Another convert. You won't be sorry.

Comment

New Rear

My bike is stock i had to ck my mileage 3 times to make sure it was rt. i did Tune up all synthetic gear lubes. carb sync and valve adjustment i have been avg 40-44 MPG!!! and cruising is like a new bike now. best mod i have done.

John
                      79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
                      80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
                      06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                      2000 Concours
                      84 Kawi KLR600
                      79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
                      79 XR250
                      Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
                      John

Comment

spacer

what was the inner diameter of your spacer, Im going to do the conversion as well.
                        91 kwaka kz1000p
                        Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

what was the inner diameter of your spacer, Im going to do the conversion as well.
                          I machined (turned) my spacer to
                          I.D. - 0.8645"(21.96mm)
                          O.D. - 1.0"(25.4mm)
                          Length - 0.63"(16mm)

(I would imagine each shaft will be a bit different in diameter)

I heated the space with my butane torch and left the shaft in the freezer for 1 hr. they slipped together with just a bit of pressure (quickly). I would have to cut it off if I wanted to remove it.
                          DZ
                          Vyger, 'F'
                          "The Special", 'SF'
                          '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
                          X