Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front wheel bearings

Is anybody around this afternoon?
    I am having a ^%* of a time trying to remove the front wheel bearings on my XS1100. The book says to move the spacer "out of the way" and using a drift punch, drive the bearing out.
    Well the spacer doesn't move more than about 1/32" to either side, so, there is no surface on the bearing to catch with the drift. Is there a tech tip that I have missed?
    I would REALLY like to get these things removed today so that I can get them ordered for the weekend.
    TIA,
    Mike
    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Never mind. I got it.
    It turns-out that the spacer has a large washer type thing attached to one end (spacer flange). This makes it so that the spacer can only be moved aside on one end, and not the other.
    Once I knew what was actually inside the hub, it was a snap to get the bearings out.
    I will try to draw a sketch of this later to add to the tech tips. It might save someone a little frustration.
    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

I wrote one for the rear wheel bearing.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&threadid=1345

Does it help you? The one side is similar.

If I do the front I will write it up, but if you would like to take some pictures and do write up then we can post it in the tips section.

Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Great expose on replacing rear bearings sixtysix, thats a job I'll be doing in the upcoming weeks when I put the new tire on back as well! Is the left side bearing from Yamaha still come w/o seals? Also, as some have tried other fixes to circumvent the cost of this exclusive bearing, has anyone pressed in 2 or 3 ball bearings that mic out to the same ID/OD and overall width? Maybe there aren't any combos of 2 or 3 bearings that will have the same dimensions as the 1 needle bearing? Would there be any load concerns doing this?
        80sg "Reaper"

Comment

Working...
        X