Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Question

Hey All,

I have a question about the clutch. I have adjusted it so that the hand lever has about 1/2" of play at the end of the lever. I know the clutch is disengaging ok because it shifts fine.

BUT...when it's warming up and I have the choke engaged and the RPMs are about 2000-2500, I go to put it in first gear and pull in the clutch lever then lightly push down on the shift lever I can hear the gears beginning to grind and I have to reduce the choke and bring the RPMs down to idle then it will go into first but with a really loud clunk.

Is this because of thick cold oil not allowing the clutch to disengage or is it something wrong with the clutch or tranny?
    Once it warms up it shifts ok but it still has a loud clunk going from neutral to first. Aren't the gears in the tranny supposed to stop spinning when the clutch is disengaged?

By the way, I'm running straight 10W-40. (Valvoline)
    Never scratch your head with a nail gun!

1982 XJ1100

thats pretty normal
    it is 4 my bike, :-)
    u can help reduce the effect by
    try and changing into 1st at an idle speed,
    dtn push down on the lever lightly
    b direct with the engagement into 1st.
    it can also help holding in the clutch 4 a sec or 2 b4 engaging 1st.
    these can b nororious for clunking into gear.
    Last edited by petejw; 08-06-2008, 12:26 AM.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

clunky is normal for me

new barnett clutch setup, took a thousand miles to break in now it doesn't creep and lurch nor is it grabby any more,

i try to roll the bike forward when i engage it into first at stops, it helps with the grinding but it does not go away completely.
      "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
      History
      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
      79 yamaha xs1100f
      03 honda cbr 600 f4
      91 yamaha fzr 600
      84 yamaha fj 1100
      82 yamaha seca 750
      87 yamaha fazer
      86 yamaha maxim x
      82 yamaha vision
      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

These bikes have clunky sounding gears... so that's sort of normal.

What isn't normal is PeteJW's grammar and spelling.
        Act your age...
        Quit writing like a damned teenager with one o' dem damn text phones!
        Thank You.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Checking clutch play at the lever is not always the best place to check. A sticky cable could miss lead you. I prefer to check that the clutch cable can be lifted out of the clutch case hole about an 1/8 of an inch. Try this check when the bike is cold.
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

I prefer to check that the clutch cable can be lifted out of the clutch case hole about an 1/8 of an inch.
            Huh??

If the end of the cable housing fits flush against the clutch cover hole.. how do you get it to go an 1/8 inch past that? Am I missing something?

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Rhumba;

You have 1/2" play at the lever pivot? Not good.

First clutch adjustment should be done at the engine side of the cable. Follow the directions in the manual. Then, do the lever end of the cable.

At the pivot, IIRC, there should only be a couple of mm free play. That will give you maximum clutch dis-engagement. Any noises/clunking after you do those adjustments is, as previously noted, normal!

Comment

"the machine is working perfectly"

Hi Rhumba,
                there's an urban legend about an exchange of telegrams between Ettoire Bugatti and a customer.
                "The machine sounds like a bucket of ball bearings being poured onto a steel plate"
                "From your description the machine is working perfectly"
                I keep saying this:- The XS11 shifts like a Russian tractor.
                At least, mine does.
                I wonder if that's true of all the XS series shafties? My son & I have happened on a total bargain XS750. Once it's running we shall see.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

If the end of the cable housing fits flush against the clutch cover hole.. how do you get it to go an 1/8 inch past that?
                  You should be able to pull the clutch cable housing up about an 1/8" from the clutch case when the clutch is in its static postion.
                  DZ
                  Vyger, 'F'
                  "The Special", 'SF'
                  '08 FJR1300

Comment

You have 1/2" play at the lever pivot? Not good.
                    He said at the end of the lever - not at the pivot.
                    Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                    1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                    23mm float height
                    120 main jets
                    42.5 pilot jets
                    drilled stock airbox with K&N
                    Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                    spade fusebox
                    1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

I have a 1/2" of play at the end of the hand lever. I do it this way because that's how my last bike, a Honda, was set up. I know it's a different bike but the same principle applies. A certain amount of play to insure the clutch doesn't slip and also to insure full disengagement.

I do see the point about the engine side of the equation though. I'll check that as well.

I am just curious about why when the clutch is fully disengaged the tranny gears still spin. It's like the gears are still spinning when I go to put it in first gear and I have to force them together.

I'm thinking warped clutch plates or too thick or sticky of an oil.

Opinions?
                      Never scratch your head with a nail gun!

1982 XJ1100

Comment

Adjust it per the manual and you'll probably see an improvement. I've never heard of end-of-lever play having anything to do with clutch adjustment. But, then, I learn something new every day.

Comment

has been told :-)

prometheus578 These bikes have clunky sounding gears... so that's sort of normal.

"What isn't normal is PeteJW's grammar and spelling.
                          Act your age...
                          Quit writing like a damned teenager with one o' dem damn text phones!
                          Thank You."

It is a bad habit,
                          but theres nothing wrong with my grammar. :-)
                          pete

new owner of
                          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                          zrx carbs
                          18mm float height
                          145 main jets
                          38 pilots
                          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Rhumba
                            I am just curious about why when the clutch is fully disengaged the tranny gears still spin. It's like the gears are still spinning when I go to put it in first gear and I have to force them together.

I'm thinking warped clutch plates or too thick or sticky of an oil.

Opinions?
                            There are two sets of shafts with gears that are all in constant contact with their countershaft companion. The "Countershaft" or "Drive Axle Shaft" contains the "gears". The other shaft is the "Main Shaft" or "Axle Shaft", this contains the "pinions".

Some of the gears and pinions are connected to the shaft so that they are locked to the shafts rotation, others are allowed to spin freely on the shaft.

About Neutral and the Neutral-1st gear shift:
                            The hard shift into first gear is normal. The cause is due to how the gears behave when in neutral, and how that effects the shift into first.

When the engine is running and clutch is engaged, and the transmission is in neutral, 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears are freespooling, but their pinions are fixed. Thus, each of these gears is spinning on the countershaft, though the countershaft is not spinning at all (remember, the countershaft and wheel have a hard connection, if the wheel is stopped, the countershaft is stopped).

Since 1st gear is so large, it has a lot of momentum, disengaging the clutch and shifting into first causes the non-spinning 4th gear to engage with the spinning 1st gear. This causes the shifts to be hard. This is why there is a loud "thunk" when shifting into 1st from neutral. To make it worse, the bike is shaft driven; on chain and belted bikes, the chain or belt will bounce to absorb some of the shock.

The way to avoid this is to wait several seconds after releasing the clutch to engage 1st gear. This will allow the gear to slow down enough or stop, so that the shift will be less brutal.

Larry
                            Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
                            http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
                            82 XJ1100
                            80 XS1100G (Project bike)
                            64 Yamaha YA-6
                            77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
                            See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Comment

Ehhh...

Pete, don't mind Pro.. They're trying to wean him off the pain pills right now and he's grouchy. Pretty soon he'll be right back to his old.. ummm.. grouchy self!

Tod
                              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100
                              *Crashed/Totalled, still own