Tkat brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tkat brace

Who sells the TKAT brace? How much are they and do they really work?. Thanks

Tkat fork brace

People in this group say they're the best.
    Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
    1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
    23mm float height
    120 main jets
    42.5 pilot jets
    drilled stock airbox with K&N
    Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
    spade fusebox
    1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...t&pagenumber=2
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Thanks for all your help. Does this help corning?. Thanks again for all your help

Comment

Yes... stops the fork tubes from flexing/twisting. Makes things nice and solid.
          Yeah, I have a set o' dem.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

They are the one item that will make the bike handle totally different,,,,,,,,,,,very responsive, and eliminates the "wag" when being a little aggresive cornering.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I will attest to their greatness. The Tkat brace will definately stiffen up your front end. It is a very well made piece and with a bit of sanding and then some polishing adds to the looks also. Make sure you tell him if you have a standard or special as the parts are slightly different to clear the special fender.
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

+1
                [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Tired - I love my TKat. I'm also an advocate of raising the fork tubes about 15mm above the tripple tree. The front end on these things is pretty weak, and shortening the running end of the forks a little tends to stiffen it up a bit. Also, make sure you tighten the bolts in the proper sequence for proper alignment. Basically from the top down.
                  I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks for your help. I think I will give it a try

Comment

"I'm also an advocate of raising the fork tubes about 15mm above the tripple tree."

Hi 'lee,
                      stiffening the fork legs ain't the only thing that moving the tubes up does. You are also reducing the front wheel trail which in turn will give you quicker steering. Which is fine if you actually want quicker steering. It's one of the little tricks, like swapping in Standard 'trees on a Special, that sidecar operators use to shorten up the trail without spending $800 on a Steerite conversion or $2,000+ on an aftermarket Leading Link fork.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

You are also reducing the front wheel trail which in turn will give you quicker steering.
                        Fred - You got that right, brother. I was really pleased with what it did for handling. It also lowers the bike slightly giving a little lower center of gravity - also good for handling. I think the next time I put rear shocks on it I'm going with 11.5" to bring the back end down a little. I ride with a friend a lot who has a yzf 600 - he's killin' me in the twisties
                        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

"I think the next time I put rear shocks on it I'm going with 11.5" to bring the back

Hi 'lee,
                          while lowering the front of the bike decreases the steering head's effective rake angle to reduce the front wheel trail and thus quicken the steering, dropping the rear end increases the rake angle and slows the steering down again so you are back where you started, except for being a little nearer to the ground.
                          Anything you change on a bike's suspension affects everything else.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                          X