EMERGENCY..... GURUs Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCV

My bike (1981 XS1100 SH) doesn't have a PCV valve, but the vent tube from the crankcase goes into the air box with tubes curved around into the carb inlets. This would give a sort of positive ventilation, through a venturi effect.

PCV valves are designed to be hooked up to a strong vacuum source, and pull air through the crankcase. On vehicles, especially the older ones with a round pan type air cleaner, you will see a separate filter, or a tube that opens inside the filter and goes to a valve cover. This is the fresh air intake for the PCV system. When this gets plugged, the crankcase gets vacuum applied to it and seals start going south. The sole purpose of the PCV valve is to prevent an intake backfire from igniting crankcase gasses and blowing the engine apart. I have seen old chevy engines with the valve covers swelled up like a balloon, because someone did away with the PCV valve.

In order for any bike like mine to effectively use a PCV system, there would need to be a fresh air intake going into some place far away from the breather. Most likely, it would be easier to mill or drill an appropriately sized hole into the valve cover, and put a grommet and pcv valve from a car engine in there supplied with vacuum. Then remove the curled tubes from the air box, while letting the crankcase breather be the fresh air intake. One would have to find a place there is not much oil flying around for the pcv valve, or make a baffle for it, lest the engine ingest large amounts of oil into the combustion chamber, and the rider be accused of fogging mosquitoes out of season.

the benefit of a PCV system over a breather is the continuous removal of combustion gasses from the crankcase. Those gasses are highly acidic. Think 78% nitrogen atmosphere combined with Hydrocarbon byproducts, and you have nitrous and nitric acid elements, along with the normal water vapor inherent in any hydrogen oxygen combustion, and the engine oil goes to pot rather quickly. A breather only equalizes pressure, and does not evacuate combustion gasses.

FINALLY! That stupid ASE test has been useful. It never got me a better job or got me a raise, but at least I get to look like an intelligent person on the net (or a smart a**, which ever fits)
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

in the works

Got over to the shop today and double checked the design of these Cam plugs. I had to order some 1 1/8" round billet. I had some 1" but will not work because I will add a double sided lip to the design. Will be a little more time consuming since I will have to transfer to the mill and shave them in half to get the design.......The cam plugs are 25mm half rounds exactly without the "lips" that I will be machining so these will never pop out OR LEAK! Just apply High Temp RTV and slap your valve cover back on.....Anyways, will be another week out, so If you want some add your name to a list here.....Still $30 for a set of 2ea shipped anywhere in the U.S. If enough U.K. folks want some. I will make a one time shipment after I get a Tally......chop
      MDRNF
      79F.....Not Stock
      80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Message Received Chop

I'll try to organised that Tally ASAP...

Miti

(Photos will help enormously BTW...)
        One of those terribly nice chaps on XS1100.com
        • XS1100S (5K7) '83 "Sport #1 - Trike Donor"
        • XS1100S (5K7) '85 "Sport #2"
        • XS1100LG (4W1) '80 "A Tribute to Brian"
        • Hesketh V1000 '82 - Dream Realised...

Comment

(Photos will help enormously BTW...)
          Will do when I get a few made next week....
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock

Comment

chop, did you ever get some of these things made up, I've still got an annoying oil trail down my right side and I'd really rather have some metal plugs then the stupid rubber ones.
            1979 xs1100 Special -
            Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
            Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
            My Bike:
            [link is broken]

Comment

billet plugs

I just got back to doing some different things on my bike and ordered the billet rod I need to make them.They have to be turned on a lathe and then half of it wasted to get the exact dimensions so they take longer than I originally thought...The price for a set of billet plugs will be $38 shipped anywhere in the U.S.
              MDRNF
              79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Show of Hands

I need a show of hands for the billet cam plugs. I have the billet rod in hand and am set up to start turning them. A pair will do both cams on the XS11 head ($38 shipped in US)
                I will do a 1-time ship to the UK if needed.....
                MDRNF
                79F.....Not Stock

Comment

I'm in! Do you take paypal, or do you prefer something different?
                  1979 xs1100 Special -
                  Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                  Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                  My Bike:
                  [link is broken]

Comment

paypal

I take paypal. Just PM'd you
                    MDRNF
                    79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Chop, will you ship to Canada?
                      '80 SG
                      '79F engine

Comment

Canada

Yes, I will let you know what postage difference is...
                        MDRNF
                        79F.....Not Stock

Comment

then I'll take a set. Good timing, it was only yesterday i was cursing those stupid plugs.
                          '80 SG
                          '79F engine

Comment

Just about there

Got the billet rod needed and turned a couple out on the lathe to check the initial fitment before waste machining half of it in a mill to get a perfect plane to line up with the bottom of the Cam Cover Gasket. I have a bare head here in the pic and it seems the cam line-bore valley is wider than the front one by a few thousandths, so I will make all of them the same larger width and of course inner and outer DOUBLE-LIPPED (is that a word) so these suckers will never pop out again at 80 MPH....
                            MDRNF
                            79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Billet

Got you guy's billet plugs done and will ship out Saturday.

This is what is wrong with the factory design (Lip on the outside only). You'd think they would have made it with the lip on the inside?????
                              I redesigned these billet ones with an inner and outter lip for insurance....

The spare head I have here needed a light sanding of the cast metal near the camshaft bore to get a smooth fit on one of the outer lips (200 grit a few swipes)....Fits like a glove and locks into place....Just put a light coat of Hight temp RTV around it before installing it.
                              MDRNF
                              79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Hey there chop. I would like some if you made enough...

Sid
                                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                                X