No announcement yet.

EMERGENCY..... GURUs Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can sign me up for some of those alloy half moons. They sell them for my buddies KZ and I was jealous. I'll take 4
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

xschop
      "I also pulled of the PCV from the crankcase breather and sure-enough, it only let air in and not out, so I'm sure this was the culprit"

that would definately do it. :-)
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by xschop

I also pulled of the PCV from the crankcase breather and sure-enough, it only let air in and not out
        Slap me if I'm mistaken but doesn't that mean it's in backwards?
        Ernie
        79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
        (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Those half-moon gaskets DO have a lip on them that is on the inside side of the head... kind of like the old original crank seal. The only way I can see that it could have popped out, is if someone had installed it with that lip to the outside? These half moon gaskets are rubber lined steel... but that little lip is rubber (I think) so I guess it could have come out with enough pressure. For proper installation of the original, you would have to remove your valve cover... Sorry. BUT.. you may be able to loosen up the bolts enough to just raise that right side up a but to get it in there???

I'm glad it took out that piece instead of a base or head gasket!!

I probably have an original plug here somewhere (Right next to those valve seals I couldn't find, I'm sure..lol) that I could get to you to use for measuring... but they are really cheap from the dealer..

Tod
          UPDATE... The lip is on the OUTSIDE of the head... Haven't had my coffee... sorry.
          Last edited by trbig; 07-23-2008, 05:55 AM.
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I couldn't add in time...

That half moon gasket is a little taller than the gasket surface of the head so that it squishes it down and seals the hole... so the valve cover will still need to be raised just a bit to get that in there... not much though.

Unlike XSPastor... I have always used Yamabond on mine and I don't have problems with them leaking.... of course my engine vents the pressure! lol

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100

Comment

Unlike XSPastor... I have always used Yamabond on mine and I don't have problems with them leaking.... of course my engine vents the pressure! lol
              My vents too. I don't use a pcv valve. It spit out the seal twice! The engine only has 20k on it so I don't think that blow-by gasses are xsive. The yamabond got gooey and slippery. The third time, I only used Yamabond on the gasket surface and left the curved part dry. No problems since.
              Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
              1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
              23mm float height
              120 main jets
              42.5 pilot jets
              drilled stock airbox with K&N
              Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
              spade fusebox
              1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

The yamabond got gooey and slippery.
                That makes me wonder if you got a bad batch or something?? Yamabond isn't supposed to get like that... that's why it gets used between the case halves.. stays pliable, but doesn't break down when exposed to oil and such. If the plug is getting blown out, there HAS to be internal pressures building up. There shouldn't be any... even with a LOT of blow-by, the case vent should be taking care of that. That's why there's such a big hose on it.

Chop...

Had my coffee and time to think. What likely happened in this instance... If you had been able to listen a little closer, what you would have heard was someone yelling, "It's the PO' PO'!! " and that "Pop" was the gunshot as they were running away... and the bullet hit your cam plug. A tall white guy with that haircut in THAT neighborhod... what were you thinkin' man?!?

Tod

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100

Comment

My Man

My Friend Mouse got me the new seal for $11.00, I installed it without removing the cover, just used a 21mm deep socket and light hammer to reinsert, drove a few miles around town last night, and no leaks or ruined clothes!....will get me thru till I get some of these alloy ones machined (with inner and outter lips!)...I guess I should turn this into a poll of who would want a set or two of these....I will design them to install simply with some Yamabond or High temp silly-cone.....$30 shipped per set, will take a week or two to get the bugs worked out on the design....let me know and thanks for all the help
                  MDRNF
                  79F.....Not Stock
                  80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

I'll take a set, Mine are both leaking a bit and should be replaced.
                    Last edited by psycoreefer; 07-23-2008, 09:40 AM.
                    1979 xs1100 Special -
                    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                    My Bike:
                    [link is broken]

Comment

Chillin' with da Homies

Big, I'm not afraid to go anywhere (admit
                      sometimes I do carry my Glock 40 tho) but in that neighborhood I would be afraid of leaving my bike for an extended period of time
                      MDRNF
                      79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Hi Chop

Would that $30 ship to UK..??

If not, and providing you're amenable, I'll link across to the XS1100UK register and poll the guys there as to who would be interested in these...

I'd be up for at least one set... may be two...

Whadyasay..??

Miti
                        One of those terribly nice chaps on XS1100.com
                        • XS1100S (5K7) '83 "Sport #1 - Trike Donor"
                        • XS1100S (5K7) '85 "Sport #2"
                        • XS1100LG (4W1) '80 "A Tribute to Brian"
                        • Hesketh V1000 '82 - Dream Realised...

Comment

Miti-long way

I will check postage later, and adjust for UK shipping as well, these shouldn't be much. I despise the overseas paperwork B.S. at the P.O. But we can work something out....chop
                          MDRNF
                          79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Chop, you can do it all on your comp from home at USPS. You can even have the postman pick it up at the door.
                            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hey Jessie,

Yeah, Click-n-ship does have that for the international PRIORITY stuff, but for the weight and size of these things, just simple FIRST CLASS will work, and so he would be better off $$ wise to just send them that way. With them weighing less than 16 ounces, then you can use the little GREEN stick on Customs form, vs. that big white one. I print mailing labels for the from/to sections, and then it's just a few pen strokes for the other Customs parts!

Chop, would think you would want to measure the Head and recesses more so than the rubber plugs to get the right sizes needed?? But like has been mentioned, they seal up against the valve cover, and IF they are too tall or too short, could lead to problems. The rubber around the OEM's allows for compression fitting of the cover. Could pose a problem depending on how much sealant is used? Just thinking out loud!?
                              T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

tolerances

I have a head being shaved down right now and will go to the shop and mic the head itself to get the design needed. I see that the KZ ones are made with a double lip design as well. As long as the half-moon flat face to cam cover gasket has .5mm difference, then that would be ideal so the silicone sealant will fill the void.....Will be Billet too
                                MDRNF
                                79F.....Not Stock

Comment

Working...
                                X