79sf vs new crotch rockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79sf vs new crotch rockets

I was wondering how the 79sf stacks up against the newer crotch rockets in acceleration and top end.just curious as people say my bike (clyde79sf) would'nt stand a chance against even a 700-800 cc crotch rocket.I'm not into racing but I am curious how others have faired or not.

The XS1100 is no match for the modern "crotch rockets". no even the smaller CC units. However, don't let that concern you. The XS1100 is the ORIGINAL crotch rocket!!! It is the motorcycle that started the war to be the fastest mass production street bike.
    In 1978 when the XS1100 was let loose on the public it was state of the art and the fastest mass production motorcycle on earth. Just as the 11 has fallen form that pedestal, todayscrotch rockets will also fall. The difference is that in 30 years from now, todays crotch rockets will be no where to be seen and your 11 will still run with a good carb cleaning.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

your 11 will still run with a good carb cleaning.
      Well actually with a good triple cleaning....
      1982 XJ1100J "Horse with No Name"

Comment

Maybe a new cam chain as well.
        http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Modern crotch rockets out horse the xs11 and weigh even less and in the hands of a good pilot will blow the XS away. However, I say in the hands of a good pilot, having run up against a few modern day rockets, I have found the "pilot" has a very difficult time keeping the front wheel down hence the XS puts a pretty good show till the rocket rider gets a grip on things. But, in the hands of someone that can ride em well, its a brutal beating.

I doubt you will see 30 year old R6's or GX's or Busa's, but you could come over to my house and check out my 58 year old XS while my carbs and teeth soak, in the same basket.
          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Originally posted by webbcraft2150

I doubt you will see 30 year old R6's or GX's or Busa's, but you could come over to my house and check out my 58 year old XS while my carbs and teeth soak, in the same basket.
            **** that made my funny hurt.

Comment

well i did have a few runs with my buddys 02 cbr600f4i. keep in mind he only had his bike a few months. so we did all our runs from a rolling start, cause he couldnt launch werth a crap without wheeling. now me i can drop the clutch, peel out, and take off. i never had my 79f even try to pop a wheely, to damn heavy.

5mph roll till 80ish, i could get him on take off and hold him till we left off at 80ish. he would be creeping up beside me when we left off.
              from a 60mph roll i could hang for a sec then he would slowly pull away.
              his bike has no low end power but hold on when the revs hit higher up. damn thing redlines at 14000rpms.
              the xs has way more takeoff power.

from what i seen alot of crotchrockets have all top end power. i think at a redlight to redlight run, the old xs11 would have a good chance of winning unless u come across a good rider that can get the rpms up and keep the front down. but in a 1/4 almost all rockets would walk away unless the rider sucked. IMHO.

specs online said his bike is rated at 105hp and 50ftlbs torque. i think the xs is rated at 98hp and 70ftlbs?
              79 xs1100f- standard- $50.00 runner

Comment

XS needs more valves and fuel injection.... but if you ride it right, it has a hell of a low/mid range punch.
                1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                1982 XS650
                1980 XS1100g
                1979 XS1100sf
                1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Old Vs New

My 79 SF if great for what it is now my 06 CBR1000 will bump the fuel cut off at 100 mph in first..........

John
                  79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
                  80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
                  06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                  2000 Concours
                  84 Kawi KLR600
                  79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
                  79 XR250
                  Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
                  John

Comment

I knew they were fast but I didn't know any stock bike would do 100 mph in first gear.

Comment

Good God, Man! Now that is a dirty job...

Originally posted by webbcraft2150

Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

rockets

Tried a 636 rr kawasaki topped it out at 178 mph per hour, it did 110mph coming outta second at 15000 rpms with the front wheel in the air. My XJ wouldnt even smell the exhaust short or long run dont run for pinks !!!!
                        Doug Mitchell
                        82 XJ1100 sold
                        2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                        2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                        1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                        47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

I agree, not a chance! But, that midrange torque is still worth something. when you pull up to rice-burner on your clasic muscle bike and rip the front wheel 3" off the ground, you'll need a camera to capture the look on there faces It's like compareing a 2000 Toyota supra to a Chevy Nova; in stock dress the Supra is going to kick the nova's ass. But which would you rather be seen cruzing the strip in?
                          Becides, just like the old muscle car, the old xs with all the fixin's including turbo & nitros will still smash a stock 600-700cc rocket easy, probably even a liter class bike!

Comment

nope

Not even with all the fixings unless you change the gear ratio not enough top end. The 9000 rpm limit is the trouble. But i agree with your thoughts on how cool these old bikes are they have soul!!
                            Doug
                            Doug Mitchell
                            82 XJ1100 sold
                            2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                            2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                            1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                            47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

My neighbor says his GSXR1000 will do just over 130mph in 1st. You don't gain a lot per gear after that... but that's what you get when you have 12-13k rpm to play with.

Tod
                              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100
                              *Crashed/Totalled, still own