No announcement yet.

79sf vs new crotch rockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A buddy of mine has an older gsx-r 750 ('90) that weighs quite a bit heavier than the new ones. I can beat him out of the hole, then he hangs even to 100 then starts pulling on me.
    My right hand likes to get untwisted about then anyway.

Comment

Its like comparing apples to oranges

Crotch rockets are using all the new technology, CNC machining, fuel injection, six speed trannys, 4 valves per cylinder, half the weight, etc. while we are riding 30 year old technology. Nope, 100 in first and a top end of 180 are not gonna happen with an 11.

But you can make yourself feel much better by knowing that in 30 years the rockets have not impacted motorcycle performance as much as the 11 did the very first year it was out. AND, with a bit of TLC your 11 will still be around 30 years from now while the average plastic covered rocket will be in the bone yard.
      Mike Giroir
      79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

The one thing the xs has is a nice broad powerband. Great low-end torque. For roll-on power it's still really good.

For my seat-of-the-pants analysis, this is where the xs shines and why we love it: Cruising down the highway, if a 600-class bike is humming at 4000 rpm in 6th, (or whatever) - they really have no grunt from there and need to downshift 2x, (or maybe even 3!) to quickly move past the tractor trailer effectively. The XS has that roll-on power that you don't even need to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by drunner
          The one thing the xs has is a nice broad powerband. Great low-end torque. For roll-on power it's still really good.

For my seat-of-the-pants analysis, this is where the xs shines and why we love it: Cruising down the highway, if a 600-class bike is humming at 4000 rpm in 6th, (or whatever) - they really have no grunt from there and need to downshift 2x, (or maybe even 3!) to quickly move past the tractor trailer effectively. The XS has that roll-on power that you don't even need to think about.
          yeah my buddy did said that is what he doesnt like about his bike. when on the interstate he had to drop 2 gears to get good acceration.
          79 xs1100f- standard- $50.00 runner

Comment

you'd be able to spank a katana 600 and a 750. they have no balls and are very heavy. my old 98 yzf600r ran 11.3 stock. so you'd be close to one of those. also i read that the bikes bob built could run in the 10's? most 600's run really low 11's or really high 10's. i bet one of bob's creations could toat them. but not a stock 11. one of the reason's i got rid of the 600r is that it's just a generic crotch rocket. not anywhere near as sexy as an 11.
            plus there are more squids on gixer's anyway. i don't like to be associated with those types.
            " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
            xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
            8mm msd wires
            tkat fork brace...
            Fox shocks...
            mikes650 front fender
            led's gallore...
            renthal bars
            gold valve emulators
            vmax tensioner
            Rifle fairing

Comment

Enough speed to enjoy the feel, with a cruiser posture, after 4 or 500 miles see who has the best experience. LOL. Later 'Dog

Comment

with the mid range power the xs has, and a good rider with experiance, a set of twistys on a hilly section takes care of the 600 pocket rockets. But it has to be hilly, flat twistys, not enough top end, down hill, not enough brakes. Have been on a few club rides around the southern alps here in NZ with bikes ranging in size from 250 to 1500cc. I am always up mixing it with the 900cc+ crowd.The xs is nowhere as fast as most of the big bikes I ride with, but it keeps up very well, much to the amazement of the other riders.
                As metioned before in this thread, the experiance of the rider can make the difference . I have been riding since I was 13, I'm now 51, have ridden heavy bikes most of my life, so have learnt how to compensate for the weight in tight corners. Plus you just got to set the xs up to turn in a bit quicker. 15mm higher than the std rears prings and lower the front forks 10mm. Then go hit your favorite twisties. Be sure to have a good set of boots on your feet.
                http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/DSC00009.jpg
                1980 XS1100 Std English Assembled, 378k miles
                In stock untouched contion.
                http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/seatside.jpg
                1979 XS1100F Std NZ new,
                Mikes XS coils
                Jardine 4-1
                Pod filters
                Harley Davidson Rear Fender
                Bullet signal lights
                Twin 75mm headlights
                Self made single seat

Comment

I still say a good ol' street fighter like the one owned by a member on this forum, (from wester europe some where) could kill a 600! I used to subscribe to street fighter magazine & I have seen some XS & XJ builds that are topping out at 400+ HP on the gass! With modern suspention, extended swing arm, chain drive conversion; I think an XS could hold it's owne. Not that any one is going to go that crazzy around here, but for the sake of the arguement.

Comment

Originally posted by 79XS11F
                    The XS1100 is no match for the modern "crotch rockets". no even the smaller CC units. However, don't let that concern you. The XS1100 is the ORIGINAL crotch rocket!!! It is the motorcycle that started the war to be the fastest mass production street bike.
                    In 1978 when the XS1100 was let loose on the public it was state of the art and the fastest mass production motorcycle on earth. Just as the 11 has fallen form that pedestal, todayscrotch rockets will also fall. The difference is that in 30 years from now, todays crotch rockets will be no where to be seen and your 11 will still run with a good carb cleaning.
                    Rob
                    I thought it was only the Aussie Aboriginals that got into dreamtime mate!

The XS11 was never the original crotch rocket, that belonged to the likes of the Widow Maker. When it came out it wasn't even considered to be a 'true' sports bike due to it's shaft drive.

And the only war it started was with BMW for best sports/touring bike. The war you talk about was started by the GS750/GS1000.

It has never been the fastest bike in production, it did briefly carry the tag of most powerful, but it's weight and rive guaranteed it would not take the fasest crown.

I got my license shortly after the XS11 was released, and have ridden Old Skool Big Jap 4's ever since. No XS11 has ever been able to keep up with any of my GS's/GSX's/Z's on the road, as aversed to the drivel that was written in the mags at the time (Motorcycle magazines were reknowned for writing blathering crap at the time, even raving about how good bikes were that they never actually rode. I knew one of the M/C journalists of the time, and he got his license after he got his reporting job).

I have a lot of respect for the XS1.1, and find them a lot of fun to ride hard, BUT the points you made belonged to Suzuki/Kawasaki, they earned the right to those titles.

Comment

i think it said in 78 that is was the fastest production bike??? it said it was the first bike to break into 11's from the factory. it's in the mag article on this site.
                      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                      xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                      8mm msd wires
                      tkat fork brace...
                      Fox shocks...
                      mikes650 front fender
                      led's gallore...
                      renthal bars
                      gold valve emulators
                      vmax tensioner
                      Rifle fairing

Comment

Working...
                      X