Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Luck

Sorry just venting.

Bought a 81 SH with the intent to do some minor work on it and have a ridable bike.

First problem was the starter not engaging, which I thought was no big deal, but it turns out I have to split the case to fix it. Good thing the repair kit is only about $25.

So, I figured I should get it running first, and see if getting the engine warmed up and cleaned out would help the starter clutch engage.

I looked pretty funny trying to pull start a bike with my wife pulling me down the road in our Yukon.

It wouldn't even fire.

Started checking things, found the cams out of place. Bent #2 and #3 intake valves. #1 and #4 didn't get bent, strangely. All the exhaust valves are fine.

I did find some valves for a decent price, which is much better than the $60 a piece for OE parts. Still trying to find a chain for a decent price. $90 for that small chain is ridiculous. I have half a mind to go to Tractor Supply and see if they have metric chain. Its probably right nest to their metric plow bolts. (have to be a farmer to understand that one hehe)

So, now it looks like closer to $300 -$400 to get it running.

Still looking forward to the bugs in my teeth. Hope I can get it running before Kansas passes a helmet law.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

for cam chain.

don't forget to also order the master link.

http://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog...S1100-1981-EN0

do a search on this site for "master link"... turns up a few recent threads on cam chain replacement.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Wow, that is an excellent price.

Too bad they don't have valves and gasket kits. hehe

Thanks a bunch, I'd say a million, but would you do with thanks a 70?

Ivan

Comment

Ivan - Partsnmore has a pretty complete engine gasket set for $77. I've used it and the quality of the parts is good.

Prom - What Ivan said - WOW! That's the best price on a cam chain I've seen yet.
        I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

yeah I was planning on that gasket kit.

Planning on valves from: http://crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm

the chain from Z1 and the rest is all time.

Anyone know where to find a good price on some extra elbow grease?

Ivan

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan

Anyone know where to find a good price on some extra elbow grease?

Ivan
            Possibly? Edit your profile to put your city/state location, and also do a search in the MEMBER's LOUNGE, read the STICKY thread, you might find some members closer than you think, and many like to work on these bikes as well as help out fellow riders!? Worth a try!
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Updated the profile.

The elbow grease was supposed to be tongue in cheek, I am horrible at expression through type.

I like tinkering on these type things, as long as I don't get paid for it. Wrenching cars for a living was hell for me. Overhauling my bike in the garage is relaxing though.

Comment

originally posted by Prom
                don't forget to also order the master link.
                If splitting the cases would not use a master link.

mro

Comment

I already ground off the link from the old chain. It is pretty well worn out.

Do new chains come in a continuous loop? I have never worked on bikes before. I am a noob.

Comment

Ivan - some do, some don't. The factory chain is continuous. The aftermarket I got from Partsnmore needed a master link. Don't know about the z1 chain.
                    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Go back to prometheus578's response. The master link is available.

I already ground off the link from the old chain. It is pretty well worn out.

Do new chains come in a continuous loop? I have never worked on bikes before. I am a noob.
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Re: Bad Luck

Sorry just venting.

Started checking things, found the cams out of place. Bent #2 and #3 intake valves. #1 and #4 didn't get bent, strangely. All the exhaust valves are fine.

It seems that the number 3 intake hits first as they go out of time. I know this cause I bent it not once but twice. The gasket kit mentioned works great. I didn't know about that chain the one I bought was about 35.00. Be cautious on reassembly as that was when I bent it the second time. The chain ended up beside the bottom sprocket it turned the valves enough to stay in time through two revolutions by hand but as soon as I hit the starter BOOM. Just check very carefully that the chain is on the sprocket.
                        http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

I have ben t plenty of valves on car engines from screwing up. FWIW, Saturn engines have the mark on the crank go AWAY from the colored link (DOH!)

The neat thing about this bike is that I have the cylinder head off and I can see the position of the pistons while the timing mark is at TDC, so I should be able to see the lobes and be sure it is ok.

That being said, I am the king of missing the very small yet vitally important detail. Maybe I should look into being a doctor or aircraft mechanic. :P

Comment

Working...
                          X