Exhaust Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Leak

Hi Guys, I recently installed a Kerker 4 into 1 header on my XS11 Special. Lately I ride and come back home and always smell like an exhaust pipe myself!! The thing is, I thought it was coming from where the down pipes go into the collector of the header. I sealed those up but still have the smell. It appears that the header pipes aren't sealing up tight at the engine block even with new exhaust gaskets and really tightening the brackets. I can't double the gaskets cause the studs aren't long enough. Can I use the red high temp gasket sealer to help seal where the pipes meets the gasket? Any advice or comments? Thanks Guys, I appreciate anything you can offer.
    CG Lisk
    1980 X1100 Special
    Standard Tank Conversion
    Bagger

Any advice or comments?

Don't follow so close to the cars/trucks in front of you while riding
    _____

If the head and pipe mating surfaces are smooth/clean and you torque them evenly....should not leak.

I cut a six inch allen and welded it to a socket so I can torque em properly. Have had the pipes off/on for more than a dozen bikes and no problems.

If you think it's leaking, can spray it with some soapy water to check. Will bubble at leak (do it when you first start bike as it gets hot fast and will sizzle/bubble anyway)

mro

Comment

Thanks mro, funny comment about following too close! That would explain the diesel smell on me after my last ride!! Here I thought I'd put the wrong fuel in my tank!!??!! Anyway, I've had exhaust systems off and on many times too over the years with no problem but this one seems to be an issue! Maybe it's just that fresh Toronto air!! I'll try the soapy solution idea and see if it shows anything. Thanks, take care.
      CG Lisk
      1980 X1100 Special
      Standard Tank Conversion
      Bagger

Comment

Do you by chance have a fairing on this bike. If so the air that is being sucked forward into the riders space could be the cause of the issue. Myself .. I have never had this issue and have run the 1100s with stock and 4 into 1 pipes including the Kerker.
        Perhaps if your getting into a lot of stop and go traffic it's not the bikes exhaust that's getting on your clothes. Could be everyone exhaust.
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Thanks Rob, I actually do have a fairing with lowers as well and it does get sucked up into my face and onto my right leg as the wind passes through the fairing and along the side. It only happens on decelleration (is that a word??!!) and gearing down. I don't ride much in traffic, mostly back roads in the Oshawa, Clarington rural areas. This wasn't an issue until I put the 4 into 1 on. It seems to be coming from the right side exhaust ports or port where the pipes join the engine. I did some work today on it with new gaskets again and some high temp gasket sealer and it seems to have stopped the problem. Thanks again, keep ridin' between showers here today!! We may need to build another Ark by the end of the week!
          CG Lisk
          1980 X1100 Special
          Standard Tank Conversion
          Bagger

Comment

OK .. one thing i can tell you about installing most 4 into one headers is .. .install the header pipes without the muffler attached. Make sure the pipes are fitting properly into the head recesses firm the nuts up good and then see if you can wiggle the header pipe set back and forth. There should be no appreciable movement if the pipes have bottomed out and are crushing the gaskets. After the head pipes are on and secure, then attach and position the muffler. Use the hose clamp that should be with the pipe to tighten the muffler in place.

OH .. also make sure the muffler packing is not plugged. i am guessing this is a used pipe and the packing can get plugged up over time. If the pipe is not free flowing it will not work as it should and cause back pressure that will force exhaust fumes out of all the connection that are not perfectly sealed.
            Rob
            Last edited by 79XS11F; 07-20-2008, 04:36 PM.

1978 XS1100E Modified
            1978 XS500E
            1979 XS1100F Restored
            1980 XS1100 SG
            1981 Suzuki GS1100
            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Thanks Rob, I did actually follow that procedure too. The header is brand new as well. It seems to be ok now with the work I did today. I just was wondering if anyone else out there had exprienced any trouble like that. Thanks again, take care.
              CG Lisk
              1980 X1100 Special
              Standard Tank Conversion
              Bagger

Comment

Originally posted by clisk
                Thanks Rob, I did actually follow that procedure too. The header is brand new as well. It seems to be ok now with the work I did today. I just was wondering if anyone else out there had exprienced any trouble like that. Thanks again, take care.
                Hey ... where the heck did you get a new KerKer header for an xs1100??
                Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                1978 XS500E
                1979 XS1100F Restored
                1980 XS1100 SG
                1981 Suzuki GS1100
                1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I got it off of Ebay about 6 months ago. There was a guy selling a whole bunch. One after the other for about two months. He'd sell one and then another would show up on the auction within a few hours for bid again. He must have had a surplus buy on them from Kerker. I paid a good chunk of change for it though! Wasn't cheap, but sounds real nice. Haven't seen him with one since. It actually came in the original box and packaging that was packed right from the manufacturer. I'm real happy with it too. I didn't realize at the time that they were not on the market anymore until one of my buddies who also has an XS asked me about it.
                  CG Lisk
                  1980 X1100 Special
                  Standard Tank Conversion
                  Bagger

Comment

The previous owner of my bike had rewelded the stock exhaust header where it had cracked, typically where the fixed pipe meets the lower manifold. I think the guy might have just taken the set off and handed it to the welder because when it was reinstalled the angle of the header pipe didn't allow the exhaust flange to seat properly. The pipes hung up between the head and the footpeg brackets. I replaced the original special pipes with a set from a standard and I did what one of the previous posters did; set the headers up so that they bottom out and fully seal without the gaskets. Then tack welded the megaphones on to position them, ( took some games to get the standards to fit..) before removing and fill-welding the joints. When the set was reinstalled, this time with the gaskets, everything worked out nicely..
                    Does that make sense?

Any repairs on your set?

G

Comment

Originally posted by clisk
                      I got it off of Ebay about 6 months ago. There was a guy selling a whole bunch. One after the other for about two months. He'd sell one and then another would show up on the auction within a few hours for bid again. He must have had a surplus buy on them from Kerker. I paid a good chunk of change for it though! Wasn't cheap, but sounds real nice. Haven't seen him with one since. It actually came in the original box and packaging that was packed right from the manufacturer. I'm real happy with it too. I didn't realize at the time that they were not on the market anymore until one of my buddies who also has an XS asked me about it.
                      Wow I don't know how I missed that. Is it black or chrome?
                      Rob

1978 XS1100E Modified
                      1978 XS500E
                      1979 XS1100F Restored
                      1980 XS1100 SG
                      1981 Suzuki GS1100
                      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

It's chrome. Real nice finish. The bad news is it turned a bit gold at the engine but that's cool cause my bike is black with gold striping!! There's a guy on there right now selling a Jardine 4 into 1 header one after the other. I'm not sure if it's the same guy or not but he's doing the same thing. As soon as one goes off auction he lists another right away. These guys must have a surplus of old stock or something they've been able to buy.
                        CG Lisk
                        1980 X1100 Special
                        Standard Tank Conversion
                        Bagger

Comment

Working...
                        X