float pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• float pin

I have to replace a float pin on my bike and was wondering do i have to remove the carbs or can i just run the bike until it out of fuel(by shutting off the petcock) and then remove the float bowl?I really don't feel like removing the carbs again for this simple fix.I know the pin(nail) will come out easily.
    1980 XS1100 SG
    Inline fuel filters
    New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
    160 mph speedometer mod
    Kerker Exhaust
    xschop K & N air filter setup
    Dynojet Recalibration kit
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
    1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

I don't see any reason you shouldn't be able to do it, providing it's either #1 or #4. The internal ones would probably be less trouble to remove than try to service installed. Don't run it out of gas!! Gas is expensive! Shut off the petcocks and drain the carb into something clean and pour it through a paper towel back into the tank.
    Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
    1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
    23mm float height
    120 main jets
    42.5 pilot jets
    drilled stock airbox with K&N
    Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
    spade fusebox
    1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

oldyam80sg:L

If what you have in the carb substituting for a float pin (nail?) is working, why do anything right now? Run the bike as is and the next time you have to tear into the carbs do the fix. "Don't wake the tiger."

Comment

I agree with boyat68.I just worked on my carbs last week and took someone elses advice and removed all 4 pins.I then took four drywall screws(I mic'd em and they are about .003 smaller than the pins) and nipped the pointed end and the heads off and filed the ends smooth.I used those and set the floats right and now I can remove the pins without worrying about breaking a post.So far they run great!
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Decided to do this even though the weather was close to 100 degrees out.Removed float bowl and removed float pin because someone told me that steel pins will rust in gas.I ordered 5 from Bike Bandit and it went in fairly easy.Replaced float bowl and tightened screws.Took it for a test drive and all is good.
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

I guess I didnt know gas causes rust.Well maybe I'll get stinless wire that size,or maybe I should just file down the fat part of the stock pins so they just slide in.Thaks oldyam
            80 SG XS1100
            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I got a PM from someone on this site that told me it was written in a thread that a steel should not be used as pins because they rust.-i looked and couldn't find it but i guess it could happen.
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Inline fuel filters
              160 mph speedometer mod
              Kerker Exhaust
              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

that was my info

Hi Old yam,,,that was my message to not use steel nails. The oxygen in the bowl will combine with iron and create iron oxide-aka "rust" and rust in the carbs is not helpful. Unless the pins could be kept out of any contact with the air and the oxygen in the fuel, they will rust quickly. Stainless nails are best,,,,some have used zinc and have been happy. Some have used cotter pins and finish nails and cut off the end to fit and done ok. Any others used anything else to replace the pins?? They are cheap, even from the dealer, like 2.00 each but some have used alternatives......mike in s.d.
                mike
                1982 xj1100 maxim
                1981 venture bagger
                1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                1959 wife

Comment

maybe I should just file down the fat part of the stock pins so they just slide in.
                  I've done that with all of mine. I can't understand why Yamaha made them the way they did. The sides of the bowl prevent the pins from coming out; no need for a press fit.
                  Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                  1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                  23mm float height
                  120 main jets
                  42.5 pilot jets
                  drilled stock airbox with K&N
                  Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                  spade fusebox
                  1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Thank You soccer4m-i knew i wasn't seeing things.Thanks again!The last thing i want to do is take off the carbs.
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    Inline fuel filters
                    160 mph speedometer mod
                    Kerker Exhaust
                    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Working...
                    X