My float post repair results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My float post repair results

I am rebuilding and trying a set of FJ carbs. I have learned some very valuable lessons from these carbs.

The fist is be careful when using the automatic center punch. It can mash and flare the ends of the pin. This resulted in a broken post as well as having to cut the pins with a dremel cutting disk between the posts and the floats in order to get everything removed. The flared ends of the pins became completely frozen in the float bracket. Worst time I have EVER had removing floats.

The second is that soldering float posts is a no go. At least, it was for me. Someone else maybe could/has done it, but I could not get the solder to flow.

The third is that there just really is no GOOD way to fix a broken post.

I did come up with something though and thought I would share. To fix the post I drilled 2 very small passages through both pieces (red in the pic). If you were looking straight down on the post one would be and 6 o'clock and the other at 3.

Then I took the super tiny bit that I drilled the holes with and broke it in half to use as reinforcing pins. Then I filled all the holes and mating surfaces with good old jb weld inserted the pins, clamped it and left it to set. Today I cut the exposed pin ends off and coated the JBW with clear fingernail polish (don't ask me, Prom said it was the way to go in one of the old threads I read through to research repairs ) The X arrangement of the pins seems to add a lot a structural integrity. I just hope things can hold up to the gas.

'81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Thats a pretty neat trick.
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Are you a dentist?
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
      03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

post fix

jb weld did not hold for me but quick steel did.i drilled a hole straight up and down and put a pin in as a back bone and so far it has held up to 50 miles.

sorry i hit the wrong button this is suposed to be in the carb post fix post.
        81 SH for 300 bucks,work in progress.
        87 dodge d-50,35's,lockers fr&rr,fun.
        87 dodge d-50,35's,open diffs,wifes.
        89 dodge spirit,low 17's 1/4mile w/o turbo.

Comment

No dentists aren't lucky enough to be able to fall back on jb weld. However, it does make me curious about the material they use for fillings...
          '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

That is exactly how I'd have done it.
            I make vinyl window frame repairs the same way. For pins I use trim nails.

That should hold, you could smear some RTV black on the crack with a q-tip. Its chemical and gas resistant. Clean surfaces with acetone before.

Looks good

Comment

Noebody said don't be careful

Hi Jessie,
              I am amongst those who advocated the automatic centerpunch trick. It has always worked for me and I'm sorry it didn't for you. What it DON'T work for is making a starter dent in a brass float to drill a 1/16" hole to let the gas out. Even when set as light as it will go, POW! You get a full punch diameter hole right in the thing.
              Don't be disheartened, it's impossible to weld or braze or solder the sh1tmetal that carbs are made from. Your fix is amongst the better ones.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I am not sure if it will hold or not but your fix is very ingenious. Congrats on that.

Here is a tip. When you are ready to reassemble, do not push the pins in tight as there is no need. I only push them in very lightly. Once the bowl is installed the pins are captive and cannot move. The next time you need to remove them all you have to do is pop them out with your fingernail.
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I done something close to that. What I done was I took my drill press and drilled straight down into the carb and then drilled the post part. Then I stuck some jb weld in both the holes I drilled and stuck a pin into the hole and then pushed the post part back on. Any jb weld that it didn't need pushed out around the edges. I just wiped it all off to clean it up. Been working fine for me. But I only put a few miles on the carbs before I tore into the tranny so I can't say anything yet for the long haul. But what you done should hold up just fine.

You may try this on the float post pins. Take your dremel and smooth up that edges of the pin that goes into the posts. That way they slide right in. You can leave just enough on there to just push it in to hold it still. Doesn't have to be real tight.
                  Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                  87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                  93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                  71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                  69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

60 miles on the fix and so far so good?i still have alot of tuning to do.
                    81 SH for 300 bucks,work in progress.
                    87 dodge d-50,35's,lockers fr&rr,fun.
                    87 dodge d-50,35's,open diffs,wifes.
                    89 dodge spirit,low 17's 1/4mile w/o turbo.

Comment

Oh, yeah. I have yet to redo a set of carbs that I didn't mill the pins down so that they just slide in and out.
                      '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I'm sure I'm gonna catch all kinds of crap for this one, but I superglued the post I broke. It's been working for two years now.
                        Randy

"I didn't break it! IT FAILED!"

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
                        '09 Buell Ulysses
                        '01 HD softail std - crunched

Comment

Noway it would hold up to gas. when mine broke i tried everything but nothing worked.

Comment

What a damn good idea Jessy! I have a few broken posts that I will try this on next week.

Comment

HERE is a fix that is REALLY COOL!!
                              '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X