still seized!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still seized!

Ok I've used WD-40 and a product called Release-All in the cylinders and let it sit for a week and I still can't get the motor to budge. Two people in the same day suggested pouring diesel fuel into the cylinders via the spark plug holes and let it sit for about two weeks. Has anyone done this and is it a good idea?

Other question is where exactly is this crank bolt that I can put a socket on to try to turn the motor manually? Right now I'm just putting it into 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears and trying to push the bike in the laneway with only wheel lockup and no movement.

Another question, how do I find out what the original model of my bike was (what model designation, s sg h etc...). It's been changed many times it seems before I got my hands on it.

thanks and I really appreciate the advice...... everyone on this forum is great.

You can look up the model based on serial number that should be on a tag on the side of the steering head. Here is that info.

I believe that the nut you can use to turn the motor with a wrench is under the left engine side cover with all the timing stuff.
    You could try diesel fuel I won't hurt anything, but I'm not sure it would work any better then the WD40 or Marvel Mystery oil.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

my serial starts with a number that isn't on the list though, 3U7-

Comment

Use the nut on the engine and just work it back and forth it may take a while and if it does come loose turn it clockwise.
        http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

3U7 1980 1100G Canadian model

see http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...=&threadid=396
          Ernie
          79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
          (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

wow mines way off of what it should look like, different tank, different seat, no grab bar... I've got lots of parts to find now to put it back to original...... thanks for the info.

Comment

I used pb blaster before when all else fails. I just filled the cylinders up and left it for a day or two and it broke loose. I turned the nut on the motor and kept bumping the starter on and off to help.
              It is better to stay silent and be thought a fool, than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.

Comment

well I am about to ship this off to someone who's better with this than me, apparently I don't have the touch for it, just rounded off the nut to turn the crank......... sucks to be me today I quess, and I still have to put in a 10 hour day at work,,,, damn life is great...

Comment

Hey DJ,

Sorry you possibly didn't try a search first? You might have found that it's really NOT a good idea to use the square nut head on the left side timing cover, as you have found out, it's not very strong, only intended for use with a NON-seized engine.

The NUT on the right hand side that holds the flywheel on IS a 6 sided bolt, and it MUCH STRONGER, it's a right hand thread, so turning it left/CCW might cause it to come loose, but you could turn it CW as well if nothing else to get the pistons/rings loose. But yeah, folks have used Diesel, Marvel Mystery Oil....WD-40 isn't necessarily as good for penetrating!

You could also put a lever/ tire iron, etc. in between the slots in the fly wheel as well for more leverage!? Might try blowing into the spark plug holes with a heat gun to cause some expansion and contraction action.
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

A company called CRC makes a product called Knocker Off. We used it to get gassed up ejector pins loose in plastic injection molds. You will have to find a dealer nearby, it's not sold in retail stores. We got ours from Bearing Headquarters I believe.
                    Tim
                    P.S. Don't give up!!!
                    1979XS1100SF
                    K&N's and drilled airbox
                    Jardine 4in1
                    Dunlop Elite 3's
                    JBM slide diaphragms
                    142.5 main jets
                    45 pilot jets
                    T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                    750/850 FD mod.
                    XV 920 Needle Mod.
                    Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
                    Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Stuck

I jjst got a stuck engine loose thats bee sitting outside for god knows how long i filled cylinders with marine sieze free its nasty stuff that a friend gave me i think teh EPA banned it lOl but let it sit for a day i had bike on center stand put her in gear and rocked wheel back and forth till it broke free. then it 45 mins with a 10 lb rubber mallet to get head to let go gotta love alum on steel pins. good luck

John
                      79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
                      80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
                      06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                      2000 Concours
                      84 Kawi KLR600
                      79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
                      79 XR250
                      Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
                      John

Comment

sometimes if you fill the cylinders with brake fluid and let it set a few days it will free up
                        "Lead by example, Follow by choice"

1979 xs1100sf 10,182 miles

Comment

I suppose you could load up a couple of cylinders with gunpowder an ..............

well maybe not.
                          http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Personally I like the gunpowder idea...LOL just kidding, gonna try the diesel fuel idea and let it sit for a long while.......any ideas on how to replace the part I rounded off?

Comment

How bad is it? Can you take it off and maybe regrind to square?
                              Ernie
                              79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                              (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Working...
                              X