Mystery Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

give the V.I.N.

you you post your VIN we will bw able to tell you what frame you have and what seat will fit your bike.....also look under your curreny seat and see where the ignition unit is located. it is the black box about ainch thick four wide and six long (rough estimate)

1979 XS1100 SF "Black Goblin"
    -Pod Filters
    -4-1 pipe
    -larger jets for carbs
    1982 XJ1100 "Black Sheep"

Comment

I"m posting another pic here to show the mounting of the ignition box (you might have to refresh the page for it to show up). Will post the VIN as soon as I find it...where is it located on the bike?
      Last edited by gixxer; 07-08-2008, 02:29 PM.
      '81 XS1100 H
      Special Tank
      Special Headlight

Comment

It is on the steering head. That is a special tank so I think a special seat should fit but I would post the vin number to be safe.
        http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

The number on the steering head is 4T1000499 which doesn't look like a VIN # to me, but maybe different for a bike?
          '81 XS1100 H
          Special Tank
          Special Headlight

Comment

Hey Gixxer,

That IS the Vin #, see below from the Misc Tips, Serial #'s ID:

1981 XS1100H 4T1-000101 Indigo Blue Canada

SO...you can NOW see that it's an 81H Standard with a Special Tank, but also a modded fender, that TCI doesn't belong there under the SNORKEL, but is suppose to be attached to the fender just behind that cross bar...there is supposed to be a recess in the stock seat that allows it to sit there and not be hit/crushed by the seat pan.

Here are a couple of photos, one is the Venturer, the 81H Touring package, with the extra large 6 gal tank!!

And here's a shot showing the rear fender/tail light a bit better, note the round grab bar, but it this one has the flatter seat, whereas the photo in my Manual for 81H/SH shows the more prominent step seat!?

That owner's manual is available for Downloading, only about 6MB, it's in the LINKS FORUM, go to it from the MAIN FORUM PAGE.
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

That's fantastic. Thanks guys!

So, looking at pictures of the special and the standard I'm thinking that the standard seat is the way to go even with the special tank.

The bike seems really low (compared to the pics above). Maybe it's just the way the pipes run but I think there's more to it. I'm going to yank the suitcases off the back for a closer look to see if something else has been modified. I've already played with the spring pre-tensioners but it seems to make little difference from one extreme to the other. Maybe the springs are just tired?
              '81 XS1100 H
              Special Tank
              Special Headlight

Comment

Or somebody put on shorter shocks to help lower it for their leg room?? The stock ones IIRC are about 12.5" long E2E, but shorter ones will fit and work provided they are not too short which can cause fender rub on bottoming out bumps!?
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham

Comment

quote:
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  1981 XS1100H 4T1-000101 Indigo Blue Canada
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heh heh heh

Comment

I don't think the fender is touching the tire but the bike is bottoming out quite often on humps and bumps. Is that normal with just me on it? (no I'm not 450lb either
                    '81 XS1100 H
                    Special Tank
                    Special Headlight

Comment

No.
                      http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Its a 1981 Standard

1. Forks do not trail front axle. It is in-line
                        2. Standards did not have slotted rotors until 1981. (specials had them in 1980, your right Wayne!)

Unless there was some mixing and substitution, that's the facts.

Floyd
                        1981G

Comment

Hey T.C.

How come your second shot doesn't have slotted rotors on the back?????

Floyd

Comment

Hey Gnepig,

I don't get it??

Floyd, it's not my photo, just got it out of the pictures section, perhaps the owner had a bad one and replaced it with an earlier version?
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham

Comment

Hey T.C.

Hey Gnepig,

I don't get it??

????????????????

Comment