house of kolor hi temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• house of kolor hi temp

i came to the exhaust system of my project and some of it was far too pitted and corroded. i decided to paint the exhaust instead of rechroming it. i had the chrome removed and began working on the prep by sandblasting.

i want a gloss finish but i know the only way to get gloss black on exhausts is to black chrome it. instead, i came by some house of kolor hi temp on eastwood's site.

the paint claims it does not need to be baked for curing and leaves a semi gloss finish. it also claims it is resistant up to 1400F. i know HOK's reputation is very good but has anyone personally worked with this stuff? $70 a quart is too steep to experiement with.

my other option was to use some duplicolor/vht 1200F flat black on the headpipes and possibly 500F gloss black engine enamel on the mufflers. anyone try engine enamel on the muff's with good results?

thanks
    '79 XS1100F

Some folks have had okay luck with the duplicolor, others have not. $70 is expensive, but it sure would be nice to know if it would work and hold up.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I used the Eastwood HI Temp Black $15-20/can, and so far holding up pretty good, no flaking or discoloration.

I think VHT also makes Hi-temp in various colors too. 1200-1500 degrees.

Dave
      1978 XS1100E

Comment

I used DupliColor Hi Temp with Ceramic from Autozone, Like $8 for the can, so far no fliaking or discoloration, been on there for like 4 months now. I sandblasted the pipes before spraying them

Sorry, bets pic I could find.

Comment

dant,

that doesn't look half bad. appears to have a little gloss to it. might try that.
          '79 XS1100F

Comment

Hey! We need more pics of those last two bikes! They look awesome! SEND MORE PICS! Dante-is that you? I am the guy who bought your old hard bags!

Comment

It does have a slight gloss to it, I would call it satin

bw 2000, you have a PM

Comment

Originally posted by danteinien
                I used DupliColor Hi Temp with Ceramic from Autozone, Like $8 for the can, so far no fliaking or discoloration, been on there for like 4 months now. I sandblasted the pipes before spraying them

Sorry, bets pic I could find.
                Best I can tell from this photo, it looks pretty darned good to me.

Don
                currently own;
                1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Maybe this one more better? Looks about the same
                  When I can, I'll try and get one with good lighting

Sorry, Giant Pic!

Comment

Just noticed something

My headers have flat metal clamp plate instead of the cast originals. I'm jealous. Time to start looking for replacements! seems like every time I turn around I see something else I need. Ain't it GREAT!
                    Tim
                    1979XS1100SF
                    K&N's and drilled airbox
                    Jardine 4in1
                    Dunlop Elite 3's
                    JBM slide diaphragms
                    142.5 main jets
                    45 pilot jets
                    T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                    750/850 FD mod.
                    XV 920 Needle Mod.
                    Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
                    Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

High temp clear on the flat will gloss it up. Thats how I did my jeep and will do the same to mine in a few weeks. And makes them easier to keep looking clean.

Edit: And can some one make that huge pic 600x600 so I don't need 2 screens to view?

Comment

There you go

Comment

Working...
                        X