No announcement yet.

Old gaskets are hard as metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use PAM on my gaskets, seemed to help this last go-around, but was not completely sucessfull. For small spots that won't come off I use a sanding drum on a Dremmel tool. Works well, but use a light touch to avoid sanding a low spot in the surface.

Many yars ago I bought something that needed asembly. In the box was this 5 x 7 notice, in red letters: "We know you like to do it yourself, but if all else fails, read the instructions." Had a good laugh about it.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

tshirt

I have a friend who is quite handy with all things mechanical and electrical, but his wife is always the skeptic. She bought him a t-shirt that says 'Mr. Make-It-Worse'.

He feigns indignation.
      80G XScitant XStreme

"Don't ever give up, don't ever give in, and don't ever read the owner's manual."

-- Red Green

Bikes I have owned --
      '68 Honda 90
      '74 Yamaha Enduro 125
      '75 Husqvarna 250CR
      '85 Kawasaki KLR250
      '80 Kawasaki KZ750H1 LTD

Comment

I have used gasket removing fluids and they do work to a degree, but you will not be super impressed. One thing to watch for, they also remove paint, my XS seems to have been painted on the inside, I accidently caused some of this paint to bubble up using the gasket remover when changing my clutch. Just paint it on carefully and you should be OK.
        Leo
        1980 XS1100 Special
        1197cc Wiseco kit
        1978 cams
        4 into 1 Jardine with glasspack
        Keihin CR33 mm carbs
        K&N individual pod filters
        TKAT fork brace

Comment

I like the signature I've seen on here (can't remember who it is)

" Do You Want It Done Right, Or Do You Want ME To Do It?"

I use that line occasionally.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I agree totally with this as I have never seen a gasket that will win against these discs.

Originally posted by rbmgf7
            if you have a die grinder and air compressor 3M's roloc brstile discs are quite handy. they'll remove the gasket and wont hurt the cover but come quite pricey as the discs are $8 a pop at NAPA (then you still need the roloc adapter).

I dont think they are quite that much money at our Napa, depending on the size they range from 4 bucks on up.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

I was removing a cylinder base gasket yesterday, and as usual it was next to impossible to get off. I tried a can of gasket remover , but it made no difference, even afer repeated soakings. I then decided to try some Hoppes #9 gun cleaner. It worked pretty well. It seams to soften the gaskets quite a bit, best is you don't need to let it soak, it seems to work right away. It is still a fairly manually intensive job, but it sure helps.
              Leo
              1980 XS1100 Special
              1197cc Wiseco kit
              1978 cams
              4 into 1 Jardine with glasspack
              Keihin CR33 mm carbs
              K&N individual pod filters
              TKAT fork brace

Comment

I've sucessfully used a large scotchbrite wheel in my die grinder on the top of the barrels, but that only works on large flat surfaces, not in the tricky stuff around the studs on the top of the crankcase.

For the tricky stuff I found a bit for the dremel which is abrasive enough to take off the gasket but soft enough not to touch the soft alloy below.

Click HERE for the bit I used. It is also nicely pointed to get all around all the tight bits.
                '84 Sport

Comment

Working...
                X