Old gaskets are hard as metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old gaskets are hard as metal

When I reinstalled the clutch today I found that the old gasket material was almost as hard as the metal under it. I hate scraping gaskets that are that hard. I am always scared of scarring up the surface. I think that cover might never have been off before. Anybody ever find an easy way to remove really hard old gaskets? Now that I am done
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Some of the spray can paint strippers work well as a gasket remover/softener. I used Aircraft remover in a spray can, and it worked ok. It took a few applications, but it works. You will still have to scrape, but the job will be easier.

Comment

I would have needed something I could brush on as I would have been scared of the spray going where it shouldn't. Hard enough to keep the scrapings out of the engine. I may not have been as through as I should have been covering up. I hope I don't end up with some old gasket scrapings plugging up somewhere.

Comment

Just spray some into a bowl, and brush it on.

Comment

if you have a die grinder and air compressor 3M's roloc brstile discs are quite handy. they'll remove the gasket and wont hurt the cover but come quite pricey as the discs are $8 a pop at NAPA (then you still need the roloc adapter).
          '79 XS1100F

Comment

Go to your nearest auto parts store and get a can of gasket remover. Bush it on, let it set for a while and then scrape off with a putty knife.
            POTTS CREEK EXPRESS

IF YOU AINT THE LEAD DOG
            THE VIEW IS ALWAYS THE SAME
            1980 G Full Dresser

Comment

Thanks guys these are great ideas I wish I had asked first but isn't it always that way.

Comment

The spray on stuff doesnt make the gasket just lift off as the directions would have you believe BUT, the stuff does soften it up enough to remove much easier than trying to chip it away.

Having said that, some guys spray the new gasket with PAM so that it will remove easier next time. I have done this on cam cover gaskets and it does seem to work.
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Just a thought, I have never tried it, but would a heat gun help to soften the gasket and ease removal?
                  Ernie
                  79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                  (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Originally posted by olebiker
                    Thanks guys these are great ideas I wish I had asked first but isn't it always that way.
                    I'll bet you're the same with directions and assembly intructions too!

It's a man thing!

Paul
                    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                    1979 XS1100 Standard
                    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by John
                      I used Aircraft remover in a spray can, and it worked ok. It took a few applications, but it works. You will still have to scrape, but the job will be easier.
                      Yep... eventually, the aircraft come right off...

(man... I feel SUCH a smack coming on later)

81 SH Something Special
                      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                      80 LG Black Magic
                      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                      For those on FB

Comment

A thin layer of anti-seize also works well to keep gaskets from sticking.
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

And I thought we had big bugs here. I guess you could call a dragonfly an aircraft but I hate to think how big they are in Texas. Paul ain't it the truth......

Comment

originally posted by Bluegiant

I'll bet you're the same with directions and assembly intructions too!
                            My wife bought me a t shirt in Florida....on the front it says "BINFORD TOOLS"......
                            on the back it says "real men don't need instructions"

I wear it with pride!
                            Ernie
                            79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                            (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Originally posted by egsols

My wife bought me a t shirt in Florida....on the front it says "BINFORD TOOLS"......
                              on the back it says "real men don't need instructions"

I wear it with pride!

And so you should!

Paul
                              1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                              1979 XS1100 Standard
                              1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Working...
                              X