Locking Tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking Tabs

Is the use of the locking tabs on the brake rotor mounting bolts crucial?

Would blue locktite suffice? I would like to use some polished stainless bolts instead for a cleaner some what custom look and do away with the tabs.

Thanks,

Paul
    Paul
    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

I did away with the locking tabs six years ago. Did not use any locktight, just stainless lockwashers. I checked the bolts a lot for the first couple of months, but never found one to be loose.
    Leo
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1197cc Wiseco kit
    1978 cams
    4 into 1 Jardine with glasspack
    Keihin CR33 mm carbs
    K&N individual pod filters
    TKAT fork brace

Comment

Yes, you can. I used stainless allen head bolts with blue locktite, none have come loose 10k miles later.

Comment

I wouldn't run them without locking tabs...chances are you'll be fine without the tabs, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. Especially with locktite...the best way to get a part that's locktited off is with heat..and brakes generate plenty of that.

Those discs cycle hot & cold all the time, and that can cause the bolts to loosen over time.

The engineers knew what they were doing when they put the locking tabs on.

I personally dont use locking tabs, but I have drilled and safety-wired my bolts (same difference...I just like the looks better)

I once had a nut come loose on a countershaft sprocket on a 750 Kawasaki. I was coasting down a long 6% grade and a truck came up behind me (reason I was coasting is I was almost out of gas)...when I put it in 5th, gassed it and let out the clutch it spun the sprocket off and my chain locked up. Truck barely missed me as I skidded off the road. The locking tab had been overlooked when the bike was assembled and was never bent over.

I always check and make sure everything that gets a locking tab is secure now..either with the tab or safety wire.
        Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Custom bolts with safety wire- I like that one.

If you don't end up using wire, at least use red locktite.

Comment

Originally posted by GNEPIG
            Custom bolts with safety wire- I like that one.

If you don't end up using wire, at least use red locktite.
            Good point ,the red would offer a little more security.

Thanks.
            Paul
            1983 XJ1100 Maxim
            1979 XS1100 Standard
            1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Working...
            X