tach and headlight problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tach and headlight problem

Hi all, I have been lurking for days looking over all the posts regarding headlight and tach problems. My headlight and tach quit working at the same time, but for only a few seconds. (This is a problem at night on curves.) I have replaced the old fuse holders and fuses, checked the alternator connectors (clean and dielectric grease) behind the fuse panel, checked for charge voltage (14.6v), still have problem. What I am looking for now is where the connections are where the headlight relay and tach signal tap into the alternator winding. I don't want to disassemble more than I have to getting at the right spot.
    80G XScitant XStreme

"Don't ever give up, don't ever give in, and don't ever read the owner's manual."

-- Red Green

Bikes I have owned --
    '68 Honda 90
    '74 Yamaha Enduro 125
    '75 Husqvarna 250CR
    '85 Kawasaki KLR250
    '80 Kawasaki KZ750H1 LTD

Under the gas tank is the regulator.Check connectors and grounds.I f you have tach and lights sometimes it is probably a
    connection of some kind.If no tach or lights at all it is probably the regulator.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I have headlight and tach most of the time. They just cut out for a couple of seconds here and there. No problem during the day, but at night out on winding roads, it's kind of hairy. Thanks for the reply.
      80G XScitant XStreme

"Don't ever give up, don't ever give in, and don't ever read the owner's manual."

-- Red Green

Bikes I have owned --
      '68 Honda 90
      '74 Yamaha Enduro 125
      '75 Husqvarna 250CR
      '85 Kawasaki KLR250
      '80 Kawasaki KZ750H1 LTD

Comment

Sounds like the reserve lighting device has a loose connection or is about to take a poop.
        This part is a square black box located under the fuel tank.

Comment

Working...
        X