X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I havent run the occy on the bike for years and i never
    turn off my petcocks when the bike is parked, in all that time,
    the carbs have leaked once, no problems, was a broken
    float post. If the carbs leak fix the problem, dont hide it behind closed petcocks. Fix the problem, not the symptom.
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

my tank could be special though, had a dip-spit mechanic do some work on my bike a few years back (first and last time that'll happen) and due to things I have found I do not have confidence he reassembled the petcocks correctly. Mine only allow fuel to flow on the reserve position. and for the record I do agree with the sentiment of make sure your carbs aren't leaking and not just hiding it with shutting off your petcocks. I just like the thought of the extra insurance.
      1980 XS11SG
      Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
      Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
      ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Enough said.Mine have not leaked since i replaced the float needles or what ever they are called.
        1980 XS1100 SG
        Inline fuel filters
        New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
        160 mph speedometer mod
        Kerker Exhaust
        xschop K & N air filter setup
        Dynojet Recalibration kit
        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Same experience

I have the same experience as you Pete. We removed the octy on my '80G and it has never leaked and I don't turn off the petcocks, ever. The '79 came w/out the octy as well as the '82J. And, again, I've never had a leak.
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
          Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

I fixed my octy. It is just a simple vacuum operated valve and a spring. The seal is a small o ring which had deteriorated and I replaced it. smeared some form a gasket on the edges of the diaphragm and put it back together. Haven't had a lick of trouble with it.

FWIW, the vacuum petcocks in the Standard tanks are the same thing...
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
            X