can we **** can the octy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can we **** can the octy

As per the test Diver Dan had me perform on the octy the rebuild job or something related has failed. I believe Topcat once pointed out that some diaphram kits had poor diaphrams. I recall something about the kits lacking a diaphram spring. In any case I will open it up myself and have a look. Would it be a bad idea to plug off one of the nipples on each of the petcocks and run fuel line directly to the fuel bank on each side.

SURELY SOMEONE HAS TRIED IT

Thank you, Rob

do a search

If the petcocks are leaking there are some posts about some surprisingly simple fixes.
    Same goes for the Octy, some with diagrams.
    This is a very active forum as you've probably realized. I am new to this and I've already learned so much it's a little scary.
    In a little bit there will be more Xperts and Guru's here and ALL will be revealed. It's Saturday night after all. Patience, dear.
    Good luck!
    80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
    79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

Hey Rob,

Yes, you can eliminate the Octy altogether if you like, just suggested to get into the habit of turning OFF The gas at the petcock, not just relying on the carbs float needles to keep it from overflowing...they have been known to fail, and Gas-oil is not good for the engine.

IIRC, capping off the front one is what you want, it's the one for PRIME. The back one is for Run/Reserve and is the one you want to use. You can test how it will behave with fuel going directly to the carbs bypassing the Octy by running it on PRIME first. IF this eliminates your fuel starving problem/symptoms, then you know you can replumb removing the Octy!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yes, cap the front ones. I have a special tank with no octy. had no carbs either for that matter. had to figure it out on my own as I had not found this site at the time. Have a nice day and ride safe
        I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

SURELY SOMEONE HAS TRIED IT

NOt ME
          This be daily ride (with stock octopie ) Just under 20,000 miles

This be another SF with just over 50,000 miles and stock octopus

here be a standard with stock vac petcocks....(about all that be stock tho)

And another with stock fuel system.....

Don't have pics loaded of the MNS, F's or SH but all have stock fuel system and will have as long as I have em (umm, until I get my hands on a decent turbo)

All have had the diaphrams/petcocks rebuilt and work just fine.
          While there is nothing wrong with removing/moding the petcocks or octipus...it is '"added insurance" should your carbs have a problem down the rode and like me forget now and then to turn off the fuel.

mro
          Last edited by mro; 06-08-2008, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Good Needle Valves

Not to be an a$$ but I don't understand all the discussion on the octy and petcock leaking . If your carbs are right and you have a clean tank and/or good in line filters you will not have fuel leaking from the airbox or filling up the crankcase. Not to mention the performance issues, Kits are available for both the standard and special systems and many have had success rebuilding both. I agree with MRO, the stock vacuum shutoff systems are insurance only but work very well as backup to a good set of needle valves. If the float levels in the carbs isn't being controlled properly by the needles you should be able to tell from a performance angle long before you notice fuel on the garage floor. The only time I shut the petcocks off is when the special is going to be sitting for a long time.
            wingnut
            81 SH (Daily Ride)
            81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
            81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
            82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
            81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I took mine off

when I was first getting the bike sorted out. I was having the carbs on and off quite a bit and it made it much easier to do the R&R without having to fight with the spaghetti tangle of fuel lines.

Once I had things cleaned up and working well, I put it back in because it's funny, and I was bored one night.

I still turn the gas on and off out of habit, though. So I will probably remove it next time I do the carbs because it is overly complicated and serves no real purpose other than minor convenience.
              XS1100SF
              XS1100F

Comment

Pingle fuel valves

Pingle makes both manual and vacuum operated petcocks that flow better and are more reliable than stock Yamaha valves.

They look great too.

Jeff
                Obsessed Motorcycle Mechanic / 29 year Owner of a 78 “E” model
                Restored 1196cc Turbocharged 211 BHP @ RWL

“Honk if you have never seen a gun fired from a motorcycle”

Comment

Pingel

Hello which vacuum operated petcock did you actualy use for your bikefrom Pingel??
                  Tks
                  Peter.

Comment

can't we talk about tires

or oil or seats instead?! On my bike the front ports are plugged with fuel line running from the rear ones. Unless you like the idea of having the octupus take it off. It's not too much trouble to shut off your petcocks. You can always reinstall later. Here's a suggestion/tip how to route your fuel lines. FWIW when I replaced my lines and put new filters on I did mine this way and haven't had any problems.
                    1980 XS11SG
                    Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
                    Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
                    ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut View Post
                      If the float levels in the carbs isn't being controlled properly by the needles you should be able to tell from a performance angle long before you notice fuel on the garage floor. The only time I shut the petcocks off is when the special is going to be sitting for a long time.
                      Not to an A%% either, however, I spent hours this weekend riding behind an XS11 special that had at least one bad needle valve and Octy. When sitting the bike would have a puddle under it of fuel if the petcocks were not shut off. However, when running, I would be hard pressed to tell you anything was wrong. I was not the operator and perhaps they noticed it in how it ran, but riding next to and behind, I could not tell any difference.

That being said, I agree completely that shutting of the petcocks is not the solution and th carbs should be repaired. The kits are on order, so it will happen shortly. I ditched my Octy because it wound up leaking fuel and I have no problems working petcocks instead of buying a kit and working on another part destined to fail again and cause me headaches when I least need them.

BTW, just as an FYI, running on Prime is not a good solution as you will drain the "reserve" gas in that position, so when you run out, your out, no reserve to get you to salvation. You are now a member of the walking brigade and accompanied by a VERY heavy "friend".
                      Last edited by DGXSER; 05-21-2009, 01:50 PM.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                        BTW, just as an FYI, running on Prime is not a good solution as you will drain the "reserve" gas in that position, so when you run out, your out, no reserve to get you to salvation. You are now a member of the walking brigade and accompanied by a VERY heavy "friend".
                        I run mine on the reserve position and just stop and fill up whenever my low fuel light comes on. I get about 90-95 miles per tank doing that. As long as you're halfway paying attention you shouldn't run out of fuel and be stranded IMHO
                        1980 XS11SG
                        Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
                        Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
                        ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

More Octy talk...

In January, Trbig, Bohn Fraser, and Elevenator helped me repair my first XS experience, an '82 XJ1100. As we were removing the engine and tranny for repairs, one said... " and this is one of the first things that's gonna go, too."
                          He then ripped out the Octy to my horror, and threw it over in a pile of other parts on the floor! He then added, "But be sure to always turn off your petcocks when you park it." I had no clue why or what he was talking about at the time... LOL
                          Then, we went through the carbs, reset floats, synched, the works and re-installed the newly repaired engine and tranny. Took it for a ride, popped a little at first through the exhaust. Tweeked the idle and mixture a bit... ran great - except for one thing... I turned off one petcock, but forgot to turn off the other!!! Parked the bike on the side stand and left it in the garage for the next 2 weeks. Somewhere in that 2 weeks, it dawned on me that I had done that. When I checked... sure enough, a puddle of gas under the bike, and yep... gas in the oil. Bye Bye new oil change and goodbye more $! Needless to say, I never forget to do that anymore, and I now know what he was trying to tell me.
                          MY bike runs like a brand new one, but does this. Floats have been re & re-checked and leaned. Runs great, but will do it. I don't believe needles / seats are bad, petcocks are fine, nor is it an adjustment. Probably from the angle when it's on the side stand.
                          Yes, it is a lot cleaner looking w/o it. Runs just fine w/o it. But, for mine, I must always remember to shut off BOTH petcocks... every time!!! Then, I'm ok. I just hate learnin' life-lessons like that... ($$$)
                          Regards,
                          Bob
                          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I thought i had problems with the octy last summer so i got one from Andreas Weiss. I know that there are more lines with the octy but the one i got from Mr Weiss is working fine.I shut the gas off when I'm done riding for the day and watch the fuel light also.All these things help avoid puddles on the floor.
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            Inline fuel filters
                            New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                            160 mph speedometer mod
                            Kerker Exhaust
                            xschop K & N air filter setup
                            Dynojet Recalibration kit
                            1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                            1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Hey BigDick, I hear you on the fuel light idea. And yes, you can also simply watch your tripometer and keep it in check. I get the simplicity of it I suppose.

All I will say is that when I got my bike, the fuel light did not work. (I have since corrected that issue by cleaning some connections). Until I worked on the carbs and tested my theory of the prime draining the reserve, then plugged the empty tank in, I had no idea if the light worked or not! And just the other day I wound up at the start of a long ride with the tripometer knob in my hand so no way to reset it. So, simply turning my petcock to the right position could easily be my ONLY shot at not walking. (Again, tripometer has since been repaired). JMHO I guess I just do not see the up side to running on reserve and NOT on the ON position. But then again, I do not like fish, so who am I to judge others opinions!
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X