Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bikerphil

40X146 MM
    I measured mine at 6" by 1 1/2" being from the top left of the "Y" horizontally to the production of the bottom right of the "A".

I have to laugh, however, that you guys south of the border are using dimensions in millimetres and me, being up here in Canada, automatically measured the badge in imperial units!!!!
    Ernie
    79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
    (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Thanks, Phil and Egs. Kinda sounds like some deranged Dr. Seuss book, don't it.

I have to laugh, however, that you guys south of the border are using dimensions in millimetres and me, being up here in Canada, automatically measured the badge in imperial units!!!!
      Yeah, it's kind of funny - after the government stopped trying to make the conversion, then it catches on
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Well, they say even the "good doctor" had a dark side, "green" eggs....don't those come from quail....I know people trying to re-introduce the quail into ohio....seems they were all hunted out....probably from people eating "green" eggs and ham, see what happens when you start a trend...now everyone's gonna want those eggs, don't really know why, takes half a dozen to make a three egg omelet. have a nice day and ride safe
        I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

measurment

Well, these are metric bikes, aren't they, eh?
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

reproduction decal.com has the emblems.like 47.00 free shipping.

Comment

Hoffman - I took a look at reproduction decals.com and subsequently found several other sites that handle the same parts. None of them had the dimensions listed for the tank badges, so I fired off some e-mails and am waiting for their replies. Kind of pricy though.

If I was going to bite the bullet to the tune of $100 I'd probably do the Old Bike Barn badges as I like the idea of gold-plated metal badges. That, however, is a HUGE 'if'. I'm more inclined to keep an eye on e-bay as the badges TC mentioned were $6 apiece. Hard to argue with that kind of economics.

Somebody had a thread up a month or so ago concerning a decal kit to repair old badges. Might give that a shot. I just hate to spend $100 on a couple little pieces of plastic, when initially I only paid $600 for the rest of the motorcycle. I thought $36 for two badges from Mikes XS was reasonable, but I'll have to wait for their e-mail reply to determine if I can make them work.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Hi Guys,

You don't need to search the 'bay to find the golf-cart badges; Just hit the local golf store!.... I got mine from the lawn-mower shop here in town 'cos they do the electric carts too....

They carry them in stock because the kids keep nicking 'em off the golf carts.

AlanB
                If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Something else you could do, being that you are in the Cincinnati area, wait until July....more specifically Vintage Bike Days" big event up at Mid Ohio raceway. Alot of cool old bikes to see and a really large swap meet, lots of guys selling stuff. at 25 bucks or so to get in, it's a little pricey, but you may find what you are looking for without having to modify. you might even find a whole lot of stuff you didn't know you were looking for, and even more stuff you weren't looking for at all. I plan on going up, don't know if I'm driving or riding, guess it depends on whether or not I plan on any serious shopping while I'm there. either way, it is a good time. have a nice day and ride safe

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

the kids keep nicking 'em off the golf carts.
                    AlanB - Now why didn't I think of that

Lorax - Didn't you have a post up earlier this year about Vintage Bike Days. I was thinking about going up for that. I was also thinking about swinging by Mansfield Penetentiary while I'm in the neighborhood. It's closed now as a penal institution, but open for tours. I saw it on "Scariest Places on Earth" and it's supposed to be VERY haunted. They run these "ghost hunts" at night. Starts around 8:00 and goes 'till dawn. Sounded like a good time, but still, I should probably bring an extra pair of boxers.

Comment

Yes, i started a thread about that, funny thing was, it went by and large unnoticed for almost a year, then someone in the general vicinity of the state found and resurrected it. I was asking about last year at the time, but hey I'm planning on going again so I guess the thread is still valid...sort of

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

I heard back from Mikes XS and they inform me the their badges are 5 1/2" X 1 1/2". 4" center to center on the holes. I went out and measured the mounting setup and it looks like 5 1/2" will just cover it. All I have to do is figure out how I'm going to mount them. If I drill one hole and tap it I'll have to use a little bondo. If I can figure out how to move both holes in a smidge I won't need the bondo. Might be able to drill slightly above or below the holes. Have to cogitate on it for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee
                          All I have to do is figure out how I'm going to mount them.
                          Get some brass screws, cut the heads off and glue them into the new emblems. Then, use some automotive-grade double-side sticky tape to tape the emblems onto your tank. Wallah - you're got new emblems, complete with gold-looking screws, that look like they belong on your tank.

BTDT...
                          Ken Talbot

Comment

Ken - Double-sided tape. Hmmmmm. Where can you get automotive grade tape? Will it stand up to the breeze?

Comment

Any automotive $hop $uch a$ NAPA will have this $tuff. It $ticks like $hit to a $heet, and ye$, it will $tand up to the breeze, even bug 2.0 or better...
                              Ken Talbot

Comment

Badge Replicas

I have a XS650 Special parked beside my XS1100 Special. The 650 has a much smaller looking tank than the Eleven. It looks half the size even though it holds three gallons. I don't think the 650 emblems can look OK on the bigger tank.

http://www.badgereplicas.com.au/

This place makes nice badges. Apparently, they make molds from the originals and then poor them in metal. They shrink enough in the mold that the mount holes don't line up. Install with tape.
                                Marty (in Mississippi)
                                XS1100SG
                                XS650SK
                                XS650SH
                                XS650G
                                XS6502F
                                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                                X