Badges? Badges?! I DO need stinkin' badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Badges? Badges?! I DO need stinkin' badges

Anybody know if the tank badges on an XS 650 are the same as the ones for an XS11?
    I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

badges

As for the mounting holes lining up, and the gold color, the 1100's I believe are all by themselves. I have a 650 silver badge on one side of my Standard tank. I had to re-drill 1 hole to get it to mount up. Looks OK though.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks Phil. You wouldn't happen to have a pic would you? The one's I was looking at are Mikes XS Part #65-6502. They look identical, but you just never know.
      Last edited by dbeardslee; 06-04-2008, 12:30 PM.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

badge

The above mentioned badges are a little bit smaller. I'll post a pic. shortly.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

pic.

If you notice on the left side, the badge doesn't quite cover the indentation in the tank. This badge is from a junkyard bike.

2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

Phil - Thanks for the pic and info. I see what you're talking about with the indentation. Still looks pretty good though, and for $36 for a set of 2, it's hard to argue with the economics. As I'm getting ready to repaint anyway, I could put a little bondo in that area and cover the indent. Eeeegg-selent (as I rub my hands together ala Dr. Frankenstein).

Comment

Old Bike Barn sells metal knock offs. They run about 50 bucks a pop.
              Rob
              KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
              1978 XS500E
              1979 XS1100F Restored
              1980 XS1100 SG
              1981 Suzuki GS1100
              1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I've got a set of badges from an XS400 Special on my SF. Had to slot out the screw holes a bit but you could glue them on with contact cement. The 400 badges needed to be switched with the left side badge on right side of tank and vice versa so they'd contour properly. The Mikes XS badges are a similar pattern but a different contour and smaller than the XS11. Again just slot the screw holes a bit with a Dremel or glue 'em on.
                Shiny side up,
                650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

79XS - Looked at old Bike Barn and noticed some interesting things. The badges that they have are custom order Australian manufacture with a 2-4 week lead time. Description says they are just slightly smaller than factory originals. If you look at the fitment chart it lists the 650, 750, 850, and 1100 specials (mine's a standard). Looks to me like they are very similar if not the same as the ones Mikes XS sells.

Took another look at the tank pic posted above. Took a REAL close look. GEEZE PHIL! Put some clothes on next time you take a picture of a shiny gas tank
                  Last edited by dbeardslee; 06-04-2008, 05:43 PM.

Comment

95 degrees in my garage, ain't gonna happen any time soon.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

Golf Cart Emblems work too!

Hey DB,

Save some $$ and buy some of THESE from Ebay Ebay Item # Z370057785372 in case link doesn't work! You can use a heat gun/blow dryer to heat it up to bend it to fit any contour you need!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC - Thanks for the tip. I took a look on e-bay and was all set to buy a couple when I noticed they are silver. Unfortunately I need the gold ones. "Missed it by that much" - Maxwell Smart, circa 1965

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee
                          TC - Thanks for the tip. I took a look on e-bay and was all set to buy a couple when I noticed they are silver. Unfortunately I need the gold ones. "Missed it by that much" - Maxwell Smart, circa 1965
                          I ordered some off of Ebay that turned out to be slightly too small for my XS1100SG. They are new, plastic, gold lettering. Yours if you want them. Let me know as I think they are over at my buddy's in Maine where I was doing my rebuild.

I think they are for a Maxim and I took a chance they'd fit mine.

Don
                          currently own;
                          1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                          2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Don - I certainly appreciate the offer. If they're for the Maxim's tiny little 13 liter tear-drop tank, they're probably smaller than the ones for the special.

I have a '79 F model. I went out and measured the factory badges that are on it and they appear to be 39mm X 152mm. The ones Old Bike Barn sells are 147mm by 37mm. FYI - The OBB badges are made out of gold-plated metal, not plastic - whoda thunkit. That explains the $51 a pop.

Don't make a special* trip, but the next time your at your friends in Maine if you could pull a measurement it would be helpful. I would also be interested in the dimensions of the special's badges if any of you folks have an S model and a ruler that isn't doing anything special*.

DB

* pun intended

Comment

79 special emblem

40X146 MM.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

Comment

Working...
                              X