Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It lives!!!...79 XS1100F Touring Package Version...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It lives!!!...79 XS1100F Touring Package Version...

I bought a 1979 xs1100F with full fairing with lowers, trunk, and hard saddle bags, brand new Jardine exhaust not installed, new carb boots not installed, and 3 sets of brake pads not installed. I managed to break of a bolt on one of the intake manifolds. Local machine shop got it out for me though (it was stuck in there worse than I've ever seen a bolt be stuck anywhere)... Cleaned the carbs a little, rigged up a gas tank and away she went...

Carbs leak, need rebuilt or at least new needles/seats, needs seat recovered, needs bags and trunk painted, fairing is near mint and no cracks in the windscreen, wiring is a little buggered, fuse box non-existent...PO soldered the wires together with no fuses whatsoever , tank needs cleaned and creamed and the bottom of the tank needs painted visible paint when mounted is in very good condition, needs new tires, new fork seals, new front fender (has a few very small rust holes), brakes work very well (thank goodness), took the exhaust off today and one of the bolts was broken off at the head of the bolt (assume PO's doings) no wonder it was smoking on the left side like crazy, the exhaust clamp was completely loose on cylinder 1 because of the bolt, has some tappet rattle (easy fix as long as I don't snap another bolt, a little PB Blaster and an impact driver should do the trick), oil filter housing bolt is rounded off (just going to grind it away and replace it), only has 16,300 miles on it...

I paid.......$350! Muahahaha...Good ole craigslist...actually was looking to get a couple cb750 parts bikes and he just happened to have this too...(didn't get the cb's though, pictures looked a lot better than the bikes did in person)

I need one of the chrome saddle bag brackets that goes around the back of the bag though...

Got it with the fairing, bags, and other body parts dismantled and the wires just cut off from the fairing...except the one black plug...

There are two red wires coming from the left handlebar switch...anyone know where these go? blinkers in the fairing maybe? Also there is a black wire that goes from where the fuse box would be to the front of the bike with a red wire spliced onto it, any ideas what that might be? also a small gauge grey wire at the front of the bike sticking out of the wiring harness under the gas tank to the left?

The bike is the blue colored version btw...

Puttered around the lawn today and it should run great once I adjust the valves, put the new exhaust on, and rebuild the carbs.

Also, one of the tee's on the carbs for the fuel is leaking that goes between 3 and 4...can I get this part new?

Thinking about doing the 750 FD mod...not sure yet though as I don't know how much freeway cruising I'll be doing.

Anyways, any hints/tips on making sure this thing is tip top mechanically would be appreciated...can't wait to tear around on this beast...

Thanks,

-Chris-
    Last edited by Cbass182; 06-04-2008, 02:54 AM.
    1971 CB750 K1 (Painted 96-98 honda blue, currently reassembling from total teardown)
    1979 XS1100F Dark Blue (almost done...seized bolts makin me PO'd!)
    1979 CX500C (project/parts...bad stator...)
    1981 CX500C (currently the bike i ride)

BTW...My name is Chris Hanley from Mount Pleasant, MI and I'm 22 years old. Got the bike in Midland almost two weeks ago now and sold my 82 cx500 to fix this bike up...

Cheers
    Last edited by Cbass182; 06-04-2008, 03:00 AM.
    1971 CB750 K1 (Painted 96-98 honda blue, currently reassembling from total teardown)

Comment

Good work - how about some pics.
      Si Parker
      '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

It's not pretty right now because it's in peices...but I'll try to get some up soon...

Comment

It Lives

Now the fun part begins welcome to the site.

John
          79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
          80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
          06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
          2000 Concours
          84 Kawi KLR600
          79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
          79 XR250
          Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
          John

Comment

Originally posted by SiP
            Good work - how about some pics.
            "We want a picture not a belly itcher..." Ooops, I guess that's suppose to be "pitcher". Too much time at my son's little league games I guess.

Don
            currently own;
            1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
            2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

At my age... I think I'd kinda prefer a belly itcher instead!!

I would cut the wires at the fuse box and either attach female ends to plug in a buss type fuse, or order a bracket that holds the buss fuses and solder the ends of the wires to those terminals. You want some fuses in there, but I wouldn't go back with the old glass style.

If the tank is rusty, even if the carbs were clean, bits of junk will keep the needle jets from seating.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Wow, wish I would have seen that on craigslist, I would have been all over it.

BTW I was up in Big Rapids with mine, now down to rockford, which is just north of GR.
                79 xs1100sf
                79 firebird
                85 f250 truggy

Comment

Sour on Kreem

Hi Chris,
                  amongst all the good things you plan to do, you mentioned creaming the tank. That's not creaming it with a hammer but applying Kreem the tank sealant to the inside? Stay away from that stuff. Guys who have a PHD in chemistry and the patience of a Saint might get that stuff to work but otherwise forget it. A bad Kreem job that was in a used tank I obtained (plus my own incompetence) cost me that tank and obliged me to get yet another one. If the tank you have is rusty use battery charger & washing soda electrolysis to de-rust it.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I'd seen that electrolysis with a battery idea elsewhere, I'll try that out on my cx500 project bike and see how that works. Then do it on the xs if it turns out okay...I'd hate to have to re-paint the tank.

Here's some pics finally. It's in pieces like I said, with a rigged up tiny gas tank to start it with...

Lemme know what ya think...(sorry about the few dark pictures didn't realize the flash wasn't going off)

This project is kinda on hold right now because of my friends cb750, but I'll get to it soon, the CB is getting close to done...(slowly but surely)

-Chris-

Tank and saddle bags (dark picture)

Random box of parts...anyone have the bracket that looks like this one for the saddle bags?

Exhaust still in the bags...

picture of bike itself

dirty fairing...

Seat

dark picture of bike...oops...
                    Last edited by Cbass182; 06-13-2008, 12:18 AM.

Comment

I looked at that bike. The day it went on craigslist. It will make a good project a bigger one then I wanted at the time. Congrats.
                      I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

Will have new pics up soon, since last I've replaced the battery, tires, tank, saddlebags, trunk, front forks, changed all fluids, put on Jardine aftermarket exhaust, spent $100 getting a intake boot bolt that snapped of out at the local machine shop, (Rise Machine Shop, Casey Rise did it), new RLU (still bad), new brake pads in the rear, new seat, took off the radio, new air filter, new oil filter, oil filter housing (old bolt was so stuck i ground the top off and ruined the housing, got one from local salvage), new exhaust studs and nuts (local Yamaha dealer only had 7 of the NOS bigger nuts with bigger allen wrench size, anyone have 1 more?), fixed headlight handlebar switch (PO ran wires from switch right to headlight thinking it would work lol), put in blade fuses (PO just eliminated the fuses all together and soldered the wires together!), and a bunch of other stuff i can't remember...

Runs great now, but tach is a little jumpy after 5-6k rpm..., need to still bypass RLU (have no power coming out of RLU), and need to bolt on bags and trunk...

-Chris-

Comment

Cbass182,

The washing soda and the battery charger is one of the coolest tricks I have ever tried. Worked great on my tank and I could not be happier.
                          Finally, Cheap and easy came together and worked.

Rodger
                          RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Working...
                          X