No announcement yet.

Cincinnati Area owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The strange thing is, I have jumped the posts and it turns over just fine. I can hear the engine fire, but as soon as I let off it dies. Unless this setup is radically different than my old Chevy POS, it should stay running once it fires, right? I am highly suspicious of the emergency shut off switch that dbeardslee mentioned.
    I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
    3J6 003509
    Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
    Fuse Block Upgrade
    Mike's XS Green Coils
    Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

Eric - That sounds like my kind of plan. I did a little checkin' around, and while the fiche doesn't show the part numbers and descriptions under the diagram, Bikebandit doesn't suffer from this malady. Their diagram has the descriptions under the electrical (2) schemo, and it looks like the tip switch is still available new for the whopping price of $47.15. Part # 32 on that diagram. I wouldn't buy a new one, but this will at least show you what it looks llike.
      I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by egleaves
        I'm good on the usual tools, however, I have 4 carb kits on standby that I haven't installed mostly because I don't have a sync tool. I've read about the bread tie method and some others, but I've never done it before so I don't think I would know if I was screwing it up. If you want to get together sometime to rebuild and sync my carbs I'll make sure we have plenty of beer to get the job done!
        Carbs is easy. At least, relatively. Keep thing organized, keep things clean, and you're good to go.

Two recommendations:

Got an impact wrench? Those freaking phillips head screws just LOVE to strip out. Had the best luck hitting them with an impact wrench. Failing that, grabbing them with vice grips to break'em loose.

Second, socket head cap screws are your friend! I've got what could be called a stainless steel fetish. Been known to buy upwards of $75 worth of SS fasteners from Grainger at a time.
        Replace all those obnoxious phillips screws with SS. I've got'em and would be happy to bring a supply along. The "bling" factor is an added bonus.

Paul

Comment

Paul - Didn't want to speak for you on the parts. 6'3"??? You always look so much taller to me. Maybe that's cause I just generally look up to you anyway. No insult intended - nothin' but love, brother.

I was out at your place yesterday, but your door was welded shut. Spent a little time with Verne outside admiring Betsy. He just can't get over the difference. I'll have to let him take a little spin when he recovers from his injury.

Doug

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

The strange thing is, I have jumped the posts and it turns over just fine. I can hear the engine fire, but as soon as I let off it dies. Unless this setup is radically different than my old Chevy POS, it should stay running once it fires, right? I am highly suspicious of the emergency shut off switch that dbeardslee mentioned.
            If it turns out to be the tip over switch, and you don't want to bypass it, I've probably got one of those too. Sort of a U-Pull-It arrangement. I don't always have time to scavenge parts, but if you want to come out to Tri-County I can usually fix you up.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee
              Paul - Didn't want to speak for you on the parts. 6'3"??? You always look so much taller to me. Maybe that's cause I just generally look up to you anyway. No insult intended - nothin' but love, brother.

I was out at your place yesterday, but your door was welded shut. Spent a little time with Verne outside admiring Betsy. He just can't get over the difference. I'll have to let him take a little spin when he recovers from his injury.

Doug
              Heck, I knew you weren't being 'noxious. Nobody makes more fun of my weight that me. I keep saying I'm in shape. Round IS a shape, is it not?

Heck, you should see me on the wife's Virago 250. Rick calls it the clown bike when I ride it! I can almost hear it whimpering.

Paul

Comment

I'm good on the usual tools, however, I have 4 carb kits on standby that I haven't i
                OK, one other tip that I think I got here:

Get 4 metric zerk fittings that fit the drain plugs in the bottoms of the carbs. Drill out the check-ball and you've make great fittings for attaching clear hose to so you can see exactly where your fuel level is in each carb.

Easy and cheap. I like things that way!
                Paul

Comment

I have had the carbs apart once for cleaning so I'm confident that they will open up with no problems, I jsut didn't have the kits then. I just now rememberd the interesting "repair" someone before me made inside one of the carbs, I wish I had taken a picture. I remember it involving a small piece of tie wire...what ever they did seems to be working ok I guess.

1980 SG
                  3J6 003509
                  Fuse Block Upgrade
                  Mike's XS Green Coils

Comment

Paul - LOL - When I mentioned mass I was referring to the broad shoulders.

Comment

Well I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but I am out here by MT.Rumpke. I know I can't help you with the problem(being honest) but maybe some time this summer the Cincy riders could have a quick get together and admire each others bike:-)
                      Sounds like you are in good hands plus try a search,most problems have been encountered and solved.
                      Ride safe,

Bill
                      '80 XS1100 SG
                      Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Steppenwolf - Born to be wild, baby. I like the idea of a get-together. Saw in your bio your an ex concrete-cowboy. What did you pull? I used to run a skateboard for TMC.

Doug

Comment

Well, it seems as though a fuse has made a fool of yet another man. Obviously fuses were the first thing I checked, only one problem, I only did a visual check. The fuse looks great, but as someone in another thread pointed out, that doesn't mean jack. I just tested the ignition fuse for continuity and what do yo know, nothing. I slipped my flasher fuse in there just to test it and we have ignition! So I'm off to dig through my junk drawers and parts caches to find a 10A fuse and then I'm back on the road.

Thanks everybody for the advice and ideas, some of them I never would have thought of myself. Let's all go for a ride sometime.

1980 SG
                          3J6 003509
                          Fuse Block Upgrade
                          Mike's XS Green Coils

Comment

Eric - Glad you found the problem. Have you changed out the fuse block or are you still running glass fuses? I believe TC sells the spade-type fuse blocks for like $8. Here's a pic:

Last edited by dbeardslee; 06-03-2008, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Doug,
                              Talking years ago but I pulled refers then piggybacks to tankers and then to a 26' straight truck with hospital supplies,enjoyed the life but got burned out on it,the first million miles were fun but after that it became work. I drove in the day when you could say "Good Buddy" on the cb and not get shot:-) or when the Mc Clean or Monfort lane were common terms.

Bill
                              '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

Hey, great it was a simple fix...I still run the glass fuses myself,thought about the upgrade....trying to stay original as I can.
                                '80 XS1100 SG

Comment

Working...
                                X