Cincinnati Area owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cincinnati Area owners

RECENTLY AQUIRED A 79 XS1100. I am in search of anyone in the area who has a little knowledge of the bike to maybe meet up have a beer or two and take a look and let me know what neds to be done to make it road worthy. PLease contact me at gk45242 (at) excite.com or feel free to call over the weekend 513-532-9050...Thanks in advance

Gary
    Gary

Not sure how big your area code is, but there are a couple of XSives listed in the members locator pages. Use the search button at the top of the page to search for "area513"
    Ken Talbot

Comment

I live just west of Dayton, my daughter is a Freshman @ UC so I get down that way from time to time. If you need something, I might be able to give a hand. also, there's another guy lives down that way, and I think I remember hearing of a fellow living in Middletown. there are a couple XSives up this way. drop a line, I can't speak for all of us, but I can't remember hearing of a member refusing to assist another. drop a line. have a nice day and ride safe.
      I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Gary,

I'm in the Cincy area, Montgomery actually. I know Doug Beardslee is up this way as well.

Would be happy to get together and talk bikes.

I don't frequent the forum as much as I'd like, feel free to drop me an e-mail to tupperj@juno.com and we'll set something up.

Take care,
        Paul

P.S. I've got several XS carcasses in the warehouse, so if you need parts, I may be able to help!

Comment

GK45242 - I've got the same bike and would be happy to lend a hand. Four of us in the same metro area - boys we gotta get together. TupperJ, you sound suspiciously like someone I know. Your initials wouldn't be PJ, would they?

DB
          I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Hey Doug,

Yeah, it's me. I'll tell you how I got the nickname sometime. Goes all the way back to High School.

Sounds like you've got the FD replacement about done. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Paul

Comment

Paul - right now the whole neighborhood knows what I think about it. That stinkin' drive shaft is giving me fits. I've deleted every expletive I know, and even made up a few Got everything else ready to go if I can just get it in. I put it in the freezer where it will stay for several hours then I'll try it again. Other than that it's been an incredibly easy mod.

I keep laughing about your handle, and specifically the "new" under it. If ever there was someone that deserved the guru handle, it's you brother.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

Cincinnati Owners

Thanks all who replied. I have talked to Doug and have gotten a starter course. He has offerd to walk me through my xs mechanics 101 (which is what a mildly mechanical guy like myself needs. I have a feeling I will be asking Doug and others a ton of questions in the future. At this point I feel fortunate that there are alot of enthusiest in the dgeneral area, It makes me feel alot more comfortable tinkering since most of the shops wanted to stroke me big dollar or just didn't have a clue.

Gary
                Gary

Comment

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble with my bike and was just going through the forum to search for answers when I found this post. I live in Newtown and ride a '80 XS1100S (when it starts). My bike quit on me a couple of weeks ago and hasn't started since. As far as I can tell I have voltage everywhere I need voltage, but the pressing the start button gets no results. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the problem may be my starter relay so I'm trying to start with that. According to the Yamaha dealer the part has been discontinued and now I am on a quest for a replacement. Any of you guys localy know of a place to look for a starter relay? Better yet, do any of you have an extra that I could borrow for 30 minutes to see if the relay really is my problem?
                  I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
                  3J6 003509
                  Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
                  Fuse Block Upgrade
                  Mike's XS Green Coils
                  Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

Eric - I've seen a bunch of posts on this dilemma, and seems like the gurus always send 'em to check the emergency shutoff switch (this is the switch that shuts the motor off if the bike tips over, NOT the kill switch on the handlebar). Evidently they're prone to shorting out. I would check that first.

Here's what da book say: First remove the cutoff switch - it's located under the gas tank on a rubber mount attached to the back side of the first long frame crossbar. It looks like a little square box with about a 10" wire that attaches to the harness on the right-hand side of the bike.

1. Use an ohmmeter, set at R XlOO, and check the switch by connecting the positive to the blk/wht, and the negative to the blk.
                    2. Position the switch vertically — the reading should be infinity ( oo ). If the reading is 0 ohms, replace the switch.
                    3. Position the switch leaning approximately 60° to both right and then to the left and check both ways. The reading should be 0 ohms, if the reading is infinity ( oo ), replace the switch.

Pretty sure we can find a relay if that's the problem, but let's check the dumb stuff first before going on a parts hunt. I'd be happy to swing by and give you a hand, long as you promise me Brewer Coat won't blow-up again while I'm over there

To all Cincinnati members. Here's something I think we need to do. Up here by Kings Island there's a Harley dealership called Aces and Eights. On Friday nights they have a free band, with beer booths, food, etc. I took old Betsy up there last friday and set her in amongst all the $25K dressers. Pretty sure she would have spanked anything in that parking lot. Got a lot of looks, even though she hasn't been painted yet. I think it would be a gas to crash a harley party with a bunch of XS11's. Just remember, the only substitute for good manners is quick reflexes

Comment

Thanks for the pointer. I didn't even know the bike had a tip over switch! I'll check that as soon as I get home today. Now that I think about it the bike did die as I was pulling out onto the main road (leaning a bit to the right).

I like your idea of crashing the Hardley party, might be a good road test after I get it to start again.

1980 SG
                      3J6 003509
                      Fuse Block Upgrade
                      Mike's XS Green Coils

Comment

Eric - Let me know what the switch looks like. If that's the problem, I'm pretty sure you can bypass it by jumpering the blk/wht to the blk. I don't know what your tool situation is but I have a colortune and synch gauges, so if you want to run it out this way (when it runs) we can give it a good synch.

I like your idea of crashing the Hardley party
                        I LOVE IT!!! Another evil XS owner. We'll have to make sure we get TupperJ to go along with us. He's up there in TC territory - 6'5" (or there-abouts) tall and plenty of mass. Couldn't hurt while we're in enemy territory I'm sure my brother and his '80G will be up for it. I'm gonna pay a call on Gary this weekend to see if we can get his beast roarin' again. If we can get The Lorax to come along we'll have a full strength fire team

Comment

I'm good on the usual tools, however, I have 4 carb kits on standby that I haven't installed mostly because I don't have a sync tool. I've read about the bread tie method and some others, but I've never done it before so I don't think I would know if I was screwing it up. If you want to get together sometime to rebuild and sync my carbs I'll make sure we have plenty of beer to get the job done!

1980 SG
                          3J6 003509
                          Fuse Block Upgrade
                          Mike's XS Green Coils

Comment

Originally posted by egleaves
                            Hey guys,

I'm having trouble with my bike and

Any of you guys localy know of a place to look for a starter relay? Better yet, do any of you have an extra that I could borrow for 30 minutes to see if the relay really is my problem?
                            I'm sure I can set you up with one. You can also jump across the contacts with pliers/screwdriver as a test. If you do find you need one, as I said, I can hook you up.

I live in montgomery and work in Tri-County. Was just out in Newtown for my son's soccer game last week.

Let me know if I can help.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by dbeardslee

I LOVE IT!!! Another evil XS owner. We'll have to make sure we get TupperJ to go along with us. He's up there in TC territory - 6'5" (or there-abouts) tall and plenty of mass. Couldn't hurt while we're in enemy territory I'm sure my brother and his '80G will be up for it. I'm gonna pay a call on Gary this weekend to see if we can get his beast roarin' again. If we can get The Lorax to come along we'll have a full strength fire team
                              Ok, I'm not sure if I'm insulted or not. I only go about 6' 3". Guess I'll have to give you the mass thing, but I dont' habe to be happy about it! Not all of us were meant to be as svelte as you!

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X