gas coming out of carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas coming out of carb

I have an XS11S. it was running rich so i adjusted my floats to lean it out. The number 1 pipe was not hot so I checked to see if there was gas in the float bowl and it was dry. I took the bowl off and checked the float. as long as I work the float with my hand it works fine. I can turn the gas on and hold the float up and it shuts the gas off. I release it and gas flows freely. When I put the bowl on it startes right up and the pipes gets hot but now gas pours out of the carb pod. Any suggestions? Thanks to everyone on this sight. Without it I would be crazy by now.

Try trimming the bowl gasket where it protrudes into the bowl cavity. That can make a float stick open or closed.

Comment

I just switched from brass floats to the new style plastic ones. I'm not sure which you have but with the new plastic ones I found that I had to bend the floats down and then set the hight, before bending them slightly down they would hang on the bowls. I could tell they were hanging because when I took the bowl off I had to wiggle it (seemed like it was stuck) and then I could hear the float drop. If gas is coming out then you've got a stuck float its just a matter of figuring out why.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

WIGGLE FLOAT

I HAVE TO WIGGLE THE FLOAT BOWL TO GET IT OFF. IS IT POSSABLE TO JUST BEND THE FLOATS?

Comment

float

The float bowl is probably hanging up on bracket that bolts the 4 carbs together. If this is not the case, trim the carb gasket inner lip so it doesn't contact the floats. If you have the brass floats, they can be bent inward/outward slightly to avoid hanging up. Make sure your float isn't falling too low in the bowl. This will cause it to stick also. Might have to re-check float hight after bending. HTH
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

do you have plastic or brass floats? I know for a fact the plastic float I have were hanging up on the inside of the bowl. After you wiggle the bowl to get it off do you hear that little springy sound like the float just dropped back onto the needle? Maybe when you start to take the bowls off turn the carbs so you can see in the crack and see if the float is able to move. I didn't have any trouble with the brass floats doing that.
            I had to bend my floats like this...
            if this is your float, I had to bend the whole rounded part downwards a little, then reset the float hight. bending it down makes the float makes A a little shorter.

<----A---->
            ------------
            ......|........)
            .......""....""
            ........."""

Just take your time and carefully look at anything the float could be hanging up on, eventually you will find the problem.
            Last edited by psycoreefer; 05-27-2008, 08:04 AM.
            1979 xs1100 Special -
            Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
            My Bike:
            [link is broken]

Comment

FLOAT

THE CARBS ARE ON THE BIKE. ITS THE NUMBER ONE CARB SO I CAN GET THE BOWL OFF. THE BOWL SEEMS LIKE ITS HANGING UP THE FLOAT.

Comment

Have you checked this float to see that it's not leaking (The hot water test)? If it's got a leak and is taking on gas then it would be floating a lot lower in the bowl, and not shutting off the gas supply when it should.
                Geno

Comment

If your sure its hanging on the float then you will need to take the carbs off the bike. The reason is that you could take the bowl off with the carbs on the bike but after you bend the float so it doesn't hit the bowl anymore you will have to reset the float hight and you can't do that unless the carbs are upside down.
                  1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                  [link is broken]

Comment

HOT WATER

WHAT IS THE HOT WATER TEST? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Comment

Hey Tired,

It's actually an almost boiling water test to see if the floats are intact or leaking. Place the suspect float into the hot almost boiling water, and use something to press it under the surface and watch for little bubbles coming out of it. If seen, then you have a pinhole in the float...now referred to as a SINKER!

Repairing is difficult with the brass ones, and so folks usually will get a complete set of 4 of the newer plastic ones from MikesXS!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

THANKS

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP

Comment

FLOAT

I STIL HAVE GAS COMING OUT OF THE CARB. THE TAB ON THE FLOAT WAS BENT. I BENT IT BACK BUT STILL COMING OUT. COULD THE PIN BE BAD BUT STILL LOOK GOOD? WHAT ELSE WOULD CAUSE THIS?

Comment

what tab did you bend? Could you post a picture? If you still have gas coming out then you still have either:
                            A - a *sink* instead of a float so it never turns the gas off.
                            B - float hight set way to low -> fuel level way to high.
                            C - a bad/dirty float needle valve alowing gas to enter when its closed.
                            D - a float hanging up on something inside the bowl.

Did you do the hot water test? Result?
                            What is your float hight set at?

PS. please turn off your caps lock, its bad internet etiquette, most will interpret it as yelling, your not yelling at us are you?
                            1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                            [link is broken]

Comment

not yelling

sorry about the caps, its my work computer and they are always on. I have not done the hot water test yet. Thanks so much for the help. my floats are set at 26.

Comment

Working...
                              X