Stuck oil plug -- I mean REALY stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's another way to repair a broken float post:

I believe the carb body is drilled and tapped, and the end of the brass post is threaded. The hole for the pin is cross-drilled after the new post is fitted.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Yup, looks pretty close to what I was going to do.
      1979XS1100SF
      K&N's and drilled airbox
      Jardine 4in1
      Dunlop Elite 3's
      JBM slide diaphragms
      142.5 main jets
      45 pilot jets
      T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
      750/850 FD mod.
      XV 920 Needle Mod.
      Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
      Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Hi Zookey,

If the carb posts are broken through the pivot hole, then the fix is easy; drill a small hole, (~1mm dia!) through the post at right angles to the direction the pivot pin goes, and a few mm higher up (closer to the body!)

lay the pivot in place, complete with float, and secure it with a twist of wire; I have fine stainless wire which I use for lock-wiring on the race bikes. It is ideal, but other things work; there is very little load on the pivot, so it does not need to be a strong repair..... Just make sure that the "tail" can't interfere with the float.

Other ways will work, and possibly be "better"..... but this way is quick, cheap, and CANNOT alter the position of the pivot.....

Sorry I don't have a pic.

AlanB
        If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Thanks guys for all the suggestions on repairing the Carb ears. I am sure he will try one (or more) of them sometime today.

Thanks again guys.
          1979 XS1100 Special - since 2008
          1977 XS750 Special - since 1985

Comment

Try a little heat around the bolt, not on bolt just around it, someone might have used some type of locktight or sealant on it, remember I said a little heat.
            Fastmover
            "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
            lion". SHL
            78 XS1100e

Comment

Originally posted by AlanB
              Hi Zookey,

If the carb posts are broken through the pivot hole, then the fix is easy; drill a small hole, (~1mm dia!) through the post at right angles to the direction the pivot pin goes, and a few mm higher up (closer to the body!)

lay the pivot in place, complete with float, and secure it with a twist of wire; I have fine stainless wire which I use for lock-wiring on the race bikes. It is ideal, but other things work; there is very little load on the pivot, so it does not need to be a strong repair..... Just make sure that the "tail" can't interfere with the float.

Other ways will work, and possibly be "better"..... but this way is quick, cheap, and CANNOT alter the position of the pivot.....

Sorry I don't have a pic.

AlanB
              I have done exactly the same repair to a carb on Wildkat's bike, and it has held up well. I tried to form a new secton of the post with JB Weld, and it worked...temporaraly. The JBW had softened from being submerged in gas, and was ready to seperate from the post. The wire trick works fine, and you don't have to worry about getting the new post section set to the correct height, and you won't have to drill holes for the float pivot pin.

Comment

Working...
              X