never trust a dealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to sync 4 carbs, one MUST have 4 gauges to get it correct

I absolutely disagree with this statement....

Not wanting to get into an argument, but unless you have mercury sticks, it's impossible to get 4 vacuum gauges exactly the same. Close yes... but if you get it close, then use just one gauge for all 4... this is going to be the most accurate if using actual gauges.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

"Ross, I'm sorry."

Usually, I just force my opinions on others... can't recall the last time someone actually asked me for it.
      Complicated questions...
      I have my opinions, no doubt, but in order to express and explain how I came to them, I'd have to write volumes.
      And sadly, some people would get offended.
      Free coffee? Are you kidding me?
      Half the people don't even know what good coffee is.
      Spend $4 for a cup of over-roasted, burnt water.
      Grande is what size... Venti is what size?
      http://www.quicksilverweb.net/sbucks/sbcharts.htm

I've got my gourmet blend and a bottle of "German Chocolate Cake" syrup in the kitchen.
      What more does a man need?

Coffee should only be free at highway rest areas... same as the free cookies. That is also the only place that you'll ever see me put money in a tip jar.
      (Ok, I tip big at USO lounges at airports, too)
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Prom and others,

The dealer I was referring to really messed up on the bike a couple of years ago but back in the late eighties I was highly confident in their abilities and trusted them with my first XS. I could go in, talk to them, have them work on the bike, pay a reasonable fee for their services and got the work done in a timely manner.

I am finding lately that many businesses, not just limited to dealerships, are either not too concerned about finding qualified personel or simply can't.

If some of us are bashing dealerships its perhaps out of frustation and/or the over generalization that seems to be norm. It is also easier to find fault and openly comment on it then it is to seek out excellance and offer praise.

To this end, I wish to extend my gratitude to all of the members, who have or had chosen a career as a mechanic, for their selflessness in sharing their immense knowledge and providing priceless advice. (Albiet at times intertwined with stinging wit)
        Ernie
        79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
        (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

the dealer

You know the dealer, the dealer is a man
          With the love grass in his hand
          Oh but the pusher is a monster
          Good God, he's not a natural man
          The dealer for a nickel
          Lord, will sell you lots of sweet dreams
          Ah, but the pusher ruin your body
          Lord, he'll leave your, he'll leave your mind to scream
          XJ1100K
          Avon rubber
          MikesXS black coils
          Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
          MikesXS front master
          Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
          Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
          Progressive fork springs
          CIBIE headlight reflector
          YICS Eliminator

Comment

Axle,

Now I'll have that song stuck in my head the rest of the day.

I have alays had good luck with my dealer, mostly with my Yamaha snowmobiles but they have been very helpful in getting me parts and tires for my XJ.

My automobile dealer ship is another story!

Paul
            Paul
            1983 XJ1100 Maxim
            1979 XS1100 Standard
            1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

"Yeah, thanks a lot, Axel...!"

Finding good help is difficult. Being able to afford good help, equally so.
              Same goes for doctors, general contractors, auto mechanics, etc.
              I'm not stupid enough to state that "all dealerships are good", nor that "all dealership mechanics are good".
              All one can do is try them and weigh the results. If you like them, stay. If you don't, find another. This is true of any profession.

There are very few reasons with these bikes to have to take them to a shop. Yes, I understand that some people don't have garages... nor some special items.

All a matter of what's really important.
              Hey... stay away from Starbuck's for a week and use the money saved for a set of metric sockets.
              Instead of going out drinking with your loser friends Friday night... use that money for a set of mercury carb sticks and synch your own carbs.
              Decisions... decisions....

Comment

Dealers

I use to be a tech For honda back in the dayand we all had that rare Fix it rt work ethic . liek any buisness when you get people pressured to make more money faster then things will get over looked. i am lucky here the yamaha dealership is very good they wil go out of thier way to get any wierd part i cant find. and it helps that they owner has a nice collection of old bikes as do teh parts Guys. most of the Kids havent seen a carb and are use to plug and play with all the new FI bikes. as with my 06 CBR i need my lap top to trouble shoot it. Like Prom said its not hard to get a the tools you need and remember your time is free and everyone is willing to help out on here. To me its theraputic to work on my old Bikes ina sick masochistic type of way LOL just have a good sence of humor and when in doubt just ask.
                John
                79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
                80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
                06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                2000 Concours
                84 Kawi KLR600
                79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
                79 XR250
                Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
                John

Comment

'Most of these young mechanics haven't seen a carb.. Blah, blah, blah..."

Can we finally put this crap to rest?

I mean, geez... Don't a lot of the new smaller NINJA's have carbs?
                  New KLR650's still have carbs...
                  Some of the large new Yamaha V machines still have carbs...
                  V Stars have carbs, V Max has carbs...
                  Honda Shadows have carbs... VTX 1300 has a carb...
                  Suzuki Katana 750's and 600's have carbs... DR650's have carbs...
                  These are all this years models. And of the new models that have fuel injection... some only aquired that within the last few years.
                  Of course, I suppose these young, carb inexperienced mechanics work at dealerships that don't sell dirt bikes, nor two-strokes, nor quads... all carburated.
                  All carbs have floats, jet's, and work basically the same.
                  I'm pretty sure the "inexperienced" kid that just cleaned the carbs on someone's 2005 Concours can handle your XS1100 carbs without having to call some older guy over.

I tells ya....
                  Next time I read this young kid/old carb crap.. I'ma gonna choke somebody.
                  Ok, I shouldn't say I will choke them...
                  I will "enrichen" their knowlege, instead.
                  And if one doesn't understand the difference between a choke and an enrichener... maybe they shouldn't be touching carbs, either.

Comment

My Rebuttal

I just made a general statement i beg forgivness from teh moderator gods. this thread is now put to sleep.
                    John
                    79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
                    06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                    2000 Concours
                    84 Kawi KLR600
                    79 XR250
                    John

Comment

I worked at a tire dealer (Les Schwab for those in the nortwest) several years ago.
                      A customer brought in a old Buick and none of the young-uns could drive it. I had a column mounted, 3 speed shifter (3 on the tree).
                      Had to ask the old guy (me ) how to drive it.
                      Pat Kelly
                      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

'72 Chevy van... &quot;Three on the tree, also&quot;

Paintman...
                        I wasn't trying to single anybody out.
                        Was I, T.C.?

Comment

Colum shifters

<--had an Old MB Deisel it had a 4 spd on the colum talk about making it theft proof LOL
                          06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                          2000 Concours
                          84 Kawi KLR600
                          79 XR250
                          John

Comment

Paintman... I think I worked on one of those once. Was there also some sort of vacuum assist or vacuum booster thing to aid in shifting? (I just remember that there was something that I had never ran into before, though I did get it to work again)

Comment

Always double-check the work others do for you

OK . It was my bad cuz I didnt check his work . My prob is with this one guy . His tune-up didnt include a synch ,he soaked the carbs and ruined the seals . He got brake fluid all over my bike . He told me fork seals were unavailable , blah blah ,blah .
                              BUT I took it there in the first place so I feel stupid . Sorry to insult any technicians ,mechanics ,dope dealers or junkyard dogs
                              XJ1100K
                              Avon rubber
                              MikesXS black coils
                              Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                              MikesXS front master
                              Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
                              Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
                              Progressive fork springs
                              CIBIE headlight reflector
                              YICS Eliminator

Comment

Re: '72 Chevy van... &quot;Three on the tree, also&quot;

Originally posted by prometheus578
                                Paintman...
                                I wasn't trying to single anybody out.
                                Was I, T.C.?
                                I have a '66 Chevy van - three on the tree. ;-)
                                1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                                1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                                1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                                1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                                1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                                1982 XS650
                                1980 XS1100g
                                1979 XS1100sf
                                1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Working...
                                X