No announcement yet.

never trust a dealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have had a couple excellent dealerships, one in Madison, Wisconsin that was outstanding, another (also in Wiconsin) called Rock River PowerSports. Between the two, all I did was routine maintenance; anything larger, including tires and balancing, they did the work. Serviced my Yamaha snowmobiles as well, supplied parts if I wanted to do the work myself. As far as I know, both are very much in business today.

I understand the dealer's point of view; parts likely not in stock, space taken up when parts have to be ordered, general condition of a 26+ year old bike (It worked when I brought it in!) is generally not good, (can you say Japanese wiring?) lack of mechanics experienced in working on older bikes.

But, if they agree to work on your bike, the work should be top quality, same as work done on the newest road-burner they sell. One common element through this site...few who ride these bikes will put up with shoddy work!

So, if you find a competent dealership who will work on your bike, patronize them with your $$. However, expect to try different places if you have that luxury, as competent places are not found easily. I have yet to find one here in western Colorado.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Succubus
      I know a dealership mechanic here in Austin. Well, he's really not the mechanic, per se, he also owns the place. It's a tiny little dealership that's been there since our bikes were new and beyond, and this guy worked on every bike that's been through. They sold a bunch of XS11s back in the day, and this is the guy who worked on them. He was apparently fond of the old beasts, because he keeps, in inventory at least one set of any of the parts known to go wrong on an XS11. Weird stuff, like shifter springs. His prices are also very rare. I think he uses an old price book.

I've never had him touch my bike. It's a pride thing for me that no one turns a bolt on my rides but me. But I've had several long converations about this bike with this guy. He's been real helpful. Not as helpful as the folks on this board, but I've spent a lot more time with y'all.

Put me on the side that says dealership mechanics are OK.

Patrick
      wow, that is exactly what I was just going to say ...I think I need my tin foil hat back on

Comment

Got fed up with the Suzuki / Yamaha dealership where I bought my TL back in 2000. It always seemed like the people working behind the parts counter just couldn't be bothered to care about what you wanted. Even the owners and managers were pretty bored, even when it was time to take your money. So I started going to the Kawasaki dealer down the road. Understand, I know these Kawi people only as an occasional customer. A helmet here, gloves there, rain booties etc. They have been patient with my questions, they've given me lots of advice and even free Suzuki parts that have come their way. Once, on a road trip in Northern Ontario, my back tire finally expired (should not have done a road trip on old tires, my bad). Called around locally for a replacement, and was told it would take a week or two to arrive, and cost almost $400. I called my Kawi dealership, 1000 km away, and the mechanic shipped me a tire (used, off a customer's bike, but still good for about 5000 km) for free. Had it in about three days, and was on my way. That mechanic got many thanks and a case of beer when I got home. And they still get all my bike business.
        I know not all of them are that kind, but they're not all horrible either. If you know a good place to go, recommend it to your friends. Support the good ones, 'boo!' to rest.

-chris
        'Tis far better to think without acting than to act without thinking.
        If only I listened to myself.

Comment

Oh, Brother, Here's your part.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Pomade Vendor: I can get the part from Bristol. It'll take two weeks, here's your pomade.
          Ulysses Everett McGill: Two weeks? That don't do me no good.
          Pomade Vendor: Nearest Ford auto man's Bristol.
          Ulysses Everett McGill: Hold on, I don't want this pomade. I want Dapper Dan.
          Pomade Vendor: I don't carry Dapper Dan, I carry Fop.
          Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
          Pomade Vendor: Watch your language, young feller, this is a public market. Now if you want Dapper Dan, I can order it for you, have it in a couple of weeks.
          Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!

Just love that movie...

Comment

Working...
          X