Getting 100mpg!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting 100mpg!!!

I'm getting 100mpg on my xs! ok well I assume there is something wrong with the trip-odometer. The first tank I thought I might have forgoten to reset it but this time I'm sure I reset it and I have 402.7mi till the low fuel light came on. Anyone take one apart and service it? Any Ideas? Anyone got a spare spedo they want to sell?
    Thanks!
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

speedo

I've taken both of mine apart and lubed them. I used WD 40 and worked ok, but there is probably somthing better to use?

I always set my trip odometer to 999.9 when filling up. I find that when setting to 000.0, sometimes it will flip the first number over too. = extra 100 miles!
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Mine sometimes jumps a couple hundered miles when it shouldn't but spraying with WD-40 usually fixes it for a few more years.
      72 TS185
      77 XS750
      78 SR500
      80 XS850
      80 XS1100 Midnight Special
      81 Seca XJ750RH

Comment

Even with an extra hundred I still shouldn't be showing 400+ before reserve. Its strange because the speedometer seems accurate. Anything I should look out for when I tear into it?
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

It must have jumped 200-300, they do that sometimes too. You have to remove the mechanism from the housing and take off the needle and dial to get to the odometer part although it might be possible to just spray some in the holes for the dial lamp. It's hard to get the needle off without breaking it so be careful.
          72 TS185
          77 XS750
          78 SR500
          80 XS850
          80 XS1100 Midnight Special
          81 Seca XJ750RH

Comment

If you take the speedo out of it's chrome housing, there is a way to lube the plastic gears that drive the odo. Right above where the cable driven gear is a long reed switch. Carefully remove it and that will expose the drive gears for the odo. I had to replace my 160 speedo because these gears had stripped out, and I couldn't replace them from another unit, and I'm afraid you may have to also.

Comment

Hi Brian,
              does the main, non-trip odometer still work? If so, just remember the last 3 digits every time you fill up. 100 miles further than that and start looking for a filling station.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hi psycoreefer,
                Incase it is as simple as mine. After installing a new windshield the clutch cable routing caused it to rub on the reset knob and add random distance. i just tiewrapped it out of the way. hope this helps.
                Maxim Phil
                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Hey Maxim and psyco,

Back in 79 Yamaha actually posted a tech bulletin to their mechs advising on rerouting the clutch cable to prevent it from jumping the trip meter.
                  Ernie
                  79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                  (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Hey, I never would have thought about the cables rubbing on the reset knob. I'm going to check it out when I get home.
                    1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                    [link is broken]

Comment

Occam's razor

Cable routing was the problem on mine too... Man! was I ever getting some great gas mileage... until I fixed it.

Of course, the inverse, I got terrible gas mileage on my FJ when my speedo cable came loose...
                      81 SH Something Special
                      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                      80 LG Black Magic
                      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                      For those on FB

Comment

Of course, the inverse, I got terrible gas mileage on my FJ when my speedo cable came loose
                        LMAO!!!!
                        Ernie
                        79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                        (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Working...
                        X