running but popping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

same same

My bike backfires or pops? when there is a leak at the muffler(s). Also when trying to color-tune .
    Not today however - in the past
    XJ1100K
    Avon rubber
    MikesXS black coils
    Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
    MikesXS front master
    Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
    Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
    Progressive fork springs
    CIBIE headlight reflector
    YICS Eliminator

Comment

If it's still popping after you are content that you have corrected any and all the leaks in the intake and exhaust system you will have to look at your jetting. If this is a new issue it is likely the leaks causing the popping. Even on my 79 restored bike I now have some muffled popping in the exhaust system and it is new this year after storage. Sure a s**t when I was changing the oil I noticed. or make that felt. exhaust gas blowing by the connection between the header pipes and the mufflers.
      Sync the carbs in any case if your set up to do it. It never hurts to attack an issue like this one step at a time through the tune up process so check timing, sync, fuel delivery, spark quality and plug gap. Check your manual and go through it item for item.
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Re: same same

Originally posted by Axel
        My bike backfires or pops? when there is a leak at the muffler(s). Also when trying to color-tune .
        Not today however - in the past
        yep my mufflers are leaking thanks

Comment

Hey Arrow,

Okay, you had really gummed up carbs, said you cleaned the Main Jet Needles/Emulsion tubes, BUT did you remove and thoroughly clean the pilot jets?? A fouled plug due to an overly rich carb can give you what you have, 3 burning plugs and 1 wet one!!

Like MRO "tried" to say, swap the 2-3 plug wires along with a FRESH clean plug for #2 and see IF the problem moves. IF it moves to #3 plug, then electrical problem, but if it stays with #2, then it's probably carbs!!

With the new plug, try running the engine around 3K rpm, so that you are getting into the mains and see which pipes are hot!

I had a sticking float a while back and was affecting the low rpm response, but once I opened it up, it would still run strong!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

carbs

morning top, pilot jets were pulled and cleaned as soon as i get to town and pick up more plugs i'll try that and let you know
            thanks for the help
            dick

Comment

Working...
            X