gas proofing the base coat....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laquer

Hey guys you can stil get acrylic laquer duplicolor sells it in pre mixed packs now in about 20 diff colors ands the price is very reasonable. they each come in a 1 Quart ready to spray .
    john
    79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
    80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
    06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
    2000 Concours
    84 Kawi KLR600
    79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
    79 XR250
    Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
    John

Comment

Hmmmm ....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...led+conversion
      80G Mini-bagger
      VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
      79SF eventually dismantled for parts
      79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
      79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
      79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Fantastic looking bike and great job on the paint.

Originally posted by TADracer
        Do they still sell automotive acrylic laquer? Last time I painted my tank and covers I used DuPont Acrylic Laquer. Put on two base coats of black then a coat with gold microflake. Then covered it all with six coats of clear. This was in 1996 and it still looks like new today (after many fueling spills).

It is old technology but is very forgiving if you are not an extremely experienced painter. If they still actually sell the stuff then I would recommend it.

This is the picture for the 2008 calender and she still looks like this today.

1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
        1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
        1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
        1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
        1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
        1982 XS650
        1980 XS1100g
        1979 XS1100sf
        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

TADracer, Where did you get the lower tripple tree cover? I want one too
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Looks like he flipped the original one around!

Comment

Fabricated from a piece of 3/32" aluminum and attached it with some accessory clamps I had laying around. After i fit the thing up I did some sanding then hit it on my buffing wheel. I just got tired of looking at the original stamped cover because it was getting sort of ratty.

If you look closely there is another plate in front of the battery behind the carbs. Did the same thing here.
              Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
              X