Another question re: oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another question re: oil leak

I'd like to get some input regarding the valve cover gasket.

Several years ago, when I first removed the valve cover to check and adjust valves, I found the gasket to be in good shape. I had a little seepage at the half moon cam plugs, so I replaced those, but left the old gasket intact.
    I had the cover off several times before I actually damaged the gasket and had to replace it.
    Now, with a new gasket, the thing leaks pretty badly. Not just in any one area, but several.
    I am using an OEM gasket bought from the dealer, using a gasket sealer to bond the gasket to the cover, but not to the head itself.

That is how I found it, and it always seemed to work before.

I know that I could use sealer to seal the gasket to the head. That would solve my problem today, but I would be "hating it" the next time that I had to get the cover off.

So, what's the general consencious?
    Do you folks dry-set the gasket to the head?

TIA,
    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

gasket

I spray the gasket with Pam cooking spray only. This helps for removal next time. I use a bead of RTV black on the half-moons. Make sure both of your gasket surfaces are clean and you shouldn't have a problem. Tightening sequence mabye?
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I don't care much for the hassle of putting sealant on the valve cover. Takes forever cleaning that cra... stuff off.
      On the G had constant leaks and had to clean it ever 400/500 miles. Last time I had the cover off, gasket was still in good condition...so cleaned it and put a second (doubled) gasket on it.
      Leaked no more

mro

Comment

Working...
      X