Stainless Steel brake Lines for a 1979 xs1100 Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless Steel brake Lines for a 1979 xs1100 Special

Let me know if i missed something. The bike is far from me and I want to have all the parts before I get there....lol

Are banjos a standard size or do I need a specific size banjo?

Here are the measurements center-to-center of the banjos
    1979 XS1100SF (Special):

Banjo angles from 15* to 20* should fit fine.

M/C - 20-1/2" (1 line banjo bolt) angled banjo at the m/c, and a straight banjo on the "Y" splitter

"Y" splitter- (1 single line banjo bolt and one 2 line banjo bolt)

Front Calipers - 22-3/4" (1 banjo bolt each caliper) two angled banjos at the "Y"splitter and a straight banjo on ea. front caliper

Rear: 19" straight banjo at the m/c, and an angled banjo at the caliper

new banjo bolts...
    (4 regular, 1 double for front)
    (2 regular for rear)

new crush washers (11 front) (4rear)
    2top,2bottom-front m.c.
    3top, 4 bottom -on calipers

2 at rear m.c.
    2 at rear caliper

End of shopping list...........
    1979 XS1100SF "Sakura Natsuhiboshi"

I just found a company in Ontario that will make the lines for $27.50 each...

Calling in my order today.......

http://www.eliteparts.com/new/about.asp

Comment

MikesXS in Florida sells stainless Steel brake lines. Just order the length you need.

http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-chass...ategory_id=1.2

They offer one at 41" long for only $44

Just a thought
      Jim Horton
      Myrtle Beach SC 29588
      843-274-5045

Comment

I got mine from z1 enterprises recently. The hoses run an inch over the stated length. I ordered a 17" and put two fittings on the end which should have made 19" but it is more like 20". You have to buy one of their double banjos to fit their fittings also, the stock brake line fittings were 8mm thick(I don't mean 8mm in diameter) and the fittings I got (goodridge) from z1 were 10mm thick. The stock double banjo bolt wouldn't fit the new fittings because the hole for the second line didn't line up anymore. But the single banjo bolts on the other ends work fine with the new lines. http://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog...S1100-1979-WB1

Comment

whups, your first question. On my 1980 special the bolts are 10.0 X 1.0 MM I don't know if that is a standard size or not.

Comment

Just call up your friendly local shop, not the dealer, and have them order the kit from Galfer. I got mine last week. It was $90.00 out the door, retail is $98.00. It is a three line set with all new bolts and crush washers.

Ed
            79 XS1100SF
            78 YZ400E
            81 SR500
            79 RM250
            77 YZ400D
            05 RM250
            78 CR 250 Husky w/TT500 motor

Comment

Eliminating the proportioning valve

Hi,
              A friend recommended the elimination of the proportioning valve when I switch to the SS braided and coated lines. He said it really isn't necessary because the pressure will balance out from the MC. Basically I would just run two straight lines from the MC to each caliper.
              What do you think?
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

cobia

thats what i did i also added a zx900
                master two fingers to stop.
                as ever bill
                bill hane

Comment

After looking at all the info i ended up ordering the Galfer set. It just seemed like less trouble since the bike isn't near me I would like to have things that will be ready to mount for sure....

Thanks for all the info guys

Comment

Ok so I order the Galfer lines from the local shop and 3 weeks later no lines. Gonna call HEL today and get that set made today.

What is the thread for the banjo bolts on the 1979 XS1100SF ???

10mm X 1.00
                    10mm X 1.25

Thanks,

Comment

Hey Nem,

I don't remember, but HEL, Craig will know when you tell him what year/ model you have!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

What the HEL?

SOrry for all of the seemingly dumb questions, but
                        What does HEL stand for?
                        Is there a part/kit number that my local dealer needs?
                        Does the kit come with everything?
                        Are brake lines different lengths on different years?
                        I would assume that standards and specials are different from what I have read.

I am planning to swap out brake lines for stainless on my 79 Special, but I would like to know if the old lines will fit a 78 or an 80 standard.

Is there a recommended master cylinder for the front if I use clubman bars?

Comment

Well you're not gonna believe this one..... HEL USA is temporarily closed, all products are shipping from the UK directly.....

Ok so I called Galfer and they directed me to Cyclebrakes.com and that custom line sets ship in 24 hours. I spoke to a young guy named Ed there and he was most helpfull. They can get the Galfer line the sameday. Eureeka! a ray of hope.

bwilding_2000 -

The Galfer kit for the 1979 - 1981 XS1100SF "Special" is FK003D611-3 (colour). Kit comes with bolts and washers. Hel is "Hose-Equip Limited" Performance Products. For line lengths check out http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

Comment

FINALLY!!!!
                            The lines are here. Called cyclebrakes.com and Ed and Melissa there were extremely helpfull. They ordered the lines from Galfer on Monday afternoon and were in the mail Tuesday, arrived in NYC on Thursday and gave me a smile for the rest of the day......

Comment

Well The lines are installed!

Now to just be sure that the system is bled properly.....

When I squeeze the brake lever it's solid about 1" from the throttle grip.
                              I did notice that I can pump up the system though. I just can't remember if that's normal or if that's a sign of air. If I pump it 4-5 times it gets solid at around 2" from the throttle grip.
                              BTW: I also switched to DOT 5.1

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                              X