Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil light problem

Hello all

I am a member of the UK XS1100 Forum who have been given me some valuable advise with a problem I have been having with my xs

I have recently put in a reconditioned engine and am having teething problems

The engine runs but the oil light doesn’t go off until about 2000rpm I have cleaned the oil pressure switch & refitted it, cleaned the one from the original engine, but the same thing happens

Checked the oil filter bolt to make sure that the relief valve is ok

I am also going the see if the oil feed pipe is ok

I am trying to remove the sump to check that the oil filter isn’t blocked and check that the pump is ok, the sump is loose but cant see how to remove it, and have read on here that it can be done with the engine still in the frame, can anyone explain how this is done

Or if anyone has any other ideas as what the problem could be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUKWLq9ur7c

Thanks Andy

Hey Andy,

Yes, you can access the oil pump from the tranny pan without pulling the engine. I "THINK" you can then remove the oil pump assembly, because I think the drive gear just fits/slides up against the clutch basket from beneath there.

**Duh, just reread your question....I don't recall any particular problems pulling the pan off, but you might be just catching it on the frame rails a bit, so it might take some tilting to get it off. Just make sure you have ALL of the bolts out of the pan. Also I removed the oil filter chamber. Many of us are not totally familiar with your UK model's features. But the engine are essentially the same, so not sure where you're having trouble!?

I know I've removed the pump when doing the Tranny 1st/2nd gear fix, but in that process you HAVE to remove the clutch basket, but I still think it will just pull out even if the basket is still in place!

There is an O-ring between the pump and the engine case, perhaps it's gotten hardened and compressed and is allowing some leakage which reduces the overall oil pressure at lower rpms!?!?

There are specs on the oil pump, clearances on the trichoidal mechanism, as well as the relief valve in the pump, you'll need to check a manual for them.

BTW, you said you checked the oil filter bolt, but did you check the OIL FILTER itself? Some have been known to break down/ fall apart? Did you remember the metal washer between the spring and filter and mount them in the right order/position?

If you didn't have this problem with the OLD pump, I guess you're thinking about swapping out the pumps!

Good Luck, let us know what you find!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I did a XS1100's oil pump that the oil pressure relief valve was galded a little and stuck open. I'd take apart the pump to make sure that everything is savvy. Hope the sending unit is OK.
      "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

When you remove your oil pan, look for a small circlip about the size of a dime. If you find one then you wont have to remove the oil pump, let us know and we'll tell you where it came from.

Comment

Thanks guys

Got the sump off today

By drum14 at 2008-03-21

Look what I found in there just under the pump filter!!!!

By drum14 at 2008-03-21

Andy

Comment

hey i wonder if i pull my pan if ill find my dipstick
            when in doubt...get a bigger hammer
            '78 XS11e, '79 XS11sf,'81 Mazda RX7, '83 XJ650lj Turbo, '95 Ford F150, '93 Chevy K2500, '04 Honda Pilot,
            '89 Arctic Cat Wildcat, '89 Arctic Cat El Tigre 530, '81 Arctic Cat Trailcat 340, '79 john deere trailfire 440,
            '78 Cadillac Seville
            Don't steal the government hates competition

Comment

GNEPIG

Is this the circlip you were talking about?

Andy

Comment

No, the one on the other side of that gear. That gear should not be able to move over enough to touch the big gear on the clutch basket. There should be a clip on both sides of that gear.
                There's one on each side that holds the oil pump idle gear in place on the shift fork shaft. And the one on the other end of that shift fork shaft. If either are missing, then the idler gear occassionally moves over enough to lose contact with the oil pump gear.
                Yeah, that's where I was goin, if these clips are all in place then you might have a more extensive problem.

Comment

Originally posted by xs1.1s5K7
                  Look what I found in there just under the pump filter!!!!
                  Now that's just plain sad. I imagine a PO looked in his tool bag, found what looked like an oil dipstick, and thought he'd try it out. He stuck the stick in the hole, and brought it back out. Seeing that it didn't seem to be working right, he turned the stick around and tried it in the hole again. This time, he was probably holding onto the short end of the stick, and it was probably slippery from being in the hole the first time. He must have poked the stick in far enough that the wide part got down inside the hole, then got caught on a lip inside while he was trying to pull it out. Imagine how traumatic it must have been to lose his stick this way...
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot
                    Imagine how traumatic it must have been to lose his stick this way...
                    The perfect description of "Xperience"!

So, Ken, how's YOUR PTSD(post traumatic 'stick' dropped') treatment coming?

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                      So, Ken, how's YOUR PTSD(post traumatic 'stick' dropped') treatment coming?:
                      It's coming together, TC, just waiting for some new rubber. Lost a piece of it inside the hole last time I was tuning up SWMBO's ride. Was nasty trying to fish it back out of there, what with the heat and all...
                      Ken Talbot

Comment

Hello

Checked to see if both circlips were on wheel, they are but the wheel moves about 3-4 mm is that normal??

Will check to see if this one is on as well

By drum14, shot with HP Scanjet 4800 at 2008-03-21

Thanks

Andy
                        Last edited by xs1.1s5K7; 03-23-2008, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Hi
                          Does anyone know if you can fit a oil pressure gauge here where bolt no 29 goes??

By drum14 at 2008-03-25

Thanks Andy

Comment

yes, I did it, I plumbed with a stainless line to the sender. I had to fabricate the banjo bolt. Don't use a regular double banjo, the spacing for the oil passage is not right. If you remove bolt #29, you'll see what I mean. you need to get this right or the transmission will not get oil.

I have seen an aftermarket gauge that screws into this hole, made by MC Specialties, but it's no longer sold by them. They come up on Ebay occasionally. I assume (?) the MC gauge has a special banjo bolt.
                            Last edited by randy; 03-25-2008, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Oil pressure guage

I have made a special adapter for an oil pressure guage there. It's stainless steel and just goes in where the bolt goes with a pressure guage attached so you can look down and see it easily. I could make more for others who are interested.
                              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                              Drilled airbox
                              Tkat fork brace
                              Hardly mufflers
                              late model carbs
                              Newer style fuses
                              Oil pressure guage
                              Custom security system
                              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...