Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery

Hey Guys and Gals

Is it possible to run an xs 650 sized battery in our bikes?? I have a box that will fit it ready to go into my frame if I can use it.

I am going through my wiring and ridding myself of things I don't need like the reserve lighting unit and the self canceller and some other things and I wanna reduce the battery size... Can it be done?
    Ego Sum Meus Frater Custodis...

i ran mine for a while on a small battery out of a old three wheeler, till i finaly bought the correct size battery. i had to use a block of wood to keep it from moving but besides that i didnt have any issues with starting or anything.
    as long as its big enough to start and run the machine, i wouldnt see any problems runnin a smaller battery. a 650 battery cant be that much smaller.
    79 xs1100f- standard- $50.00 runner

Comment

Hey Barry,

Our battery is rated at 20 AmpHours, the 650 is only 14 amp hours. The 11 is rated at 260 cca, the 650 is 190 cca. So... the 650 battery might not have enough OOMPH when it's cold to be able to turn over and have enough power left to fire the TCI??

Once the bike is running, IT's mostly running off of the ALT, so the main thing is being able to turn over the motor adequately and have enough reserve power to also provide the 10.5 volts minimum to fire the TCI! YMMV?

Do you want to risk being stranded?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

battery

Dont wanna get stranded,
        I was wondering if I could get the same cranking amps from a smaller battery. I thought with todays battery technologies it would be just a matter of finding one...

Comment

Look at the new "gel" battery. They may give you the cranking amps you need, in the smaller package. JAT
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

small battery

hey scap, I am using the Odyssey pc545. Does a great jod of cranking and measures 3x5x7, smaller than stock xs11 battery and cranks just as hard.
            MDRNF
            79F.....Not Stock
            80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

HEy thanks guys,
              I will look at the Odyssey and the gel to see whats what
              I will let you know what I go with

Comment

Re: small battery

Originally posted by xschop
                hey scap, I am using the Odyssey pc545. Does a great jod of cranking and measures 3x5x7, smaller than stock xs11 battery and cranks just as hard.
                hey xschop, i'm in the market myself, how did you bolt it down? did you have to fabricate a holder? thanks
                "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                History
                85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                79 yamaha xs1100f
                03 honda cbr 600 f4
                91 yamaha fzr 600
                84 yamaha fj 1100
                82 yamaha seca 750
                87 yamaha fazer
                86 yamaha maxim x
                82 yamaha vision
                78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

strapped

yeah mason, it goes right between the rear hangers (7") if you chop them down shorter. Scappod is also building a chaindrive bike and doing some other custom stuff...
                  MDRNF
                  79F.....Not Stock
                  80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

Working...
                  X