XJ shock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ shock question

I have been cleaning up mu XJ rear shocks off of the bike. They have been turned every which way and upside down for an extended period. I have no knowledge of the guts of the shocks. Is it possible for the oil to get up into the air line that joins the two? If so, what do you suggest to be the best way to assure each shock has the right amount of oil? I was thinking about turning them both upside down to sit a while to even out, then hang them by the center of the hose.

If the oil can't get into the air lines, it's a mute point.

Thanks.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

trbig:

read http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0612_...cks/index.html
    It will give you a picture cut away of a typical gas/oil shock. The unit is sealed and has a valving system that allows the oil to seep by when pressure is applied. Turning them upside down can't hurt anything as just shipping and handling would cause a problem if this was so.

Comment

The way the XJ air shocks are built the oil can and will get into the crossover hose it you turn them upside down. It can even run from one shock into the other.The manual says, 'When storing away the suspension, be careful not to place it in an inverted position'

Take the hose and fitting off and measure the depth of the oil (2.95 in. down from top). It uses G-5 (SAE 5W).

I overfilled mine, then used a price of heat shrink tubing that I slipped a small nut over 2.95 in. from end, slid it down into the shock and used a bulb syringe so suck out the excess.

Louis
      "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
      brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
      '82 XJ1100J
      LED Dir and running lights
      LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
      Modulated H/L
      PIAA Driving lights
      YICS Eliminated
      750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

&*!@^#&%!%#!@#)%!!!! (Edited for family content... )

I already installed them back on the bike too... Sounds like a good plan, Louis. Thanks.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own