Slipping starter!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slipping starter!?

After searching the forum, I'm still left with a question. You see, my starter chugs along and works like it is supposed to, but occassionally (say, every other starting attempt) stops turning the engine and free spins. It spins for a second or two, then something stops it. If I hit the button again, it will usually chug the motor just fine. Again, this is only intermitent, and the engine still turns over with the kickstarter.

It seems to me like a few of the gear teeth are stripped. Before splitting the case, however, I was wondering if lubrication issues could be the culprit. I'm running Castrol 20w50. I should note that I just dumped two quarts or so of gas with my oil (lousy petcocks/floats). Could the contaminated gas or the 0 degree weather here in Northeast Missouri cause these problems?

Any help and experience, as always, is appreciated.
    Corey J. Bennett
    '79 XS1100SF

Actually

There is a gear on the starter that has a one way bearing and sometimes it won't engage. Usually temperature related. The oil doesn't really get to it so it usually doesn't matter what kind you use. Yes it is impossible to get to without major disassembly and it gets dry.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

Do I need to open it up and lube the bearing then or should I just try not to fret about it until it gets warm?
      Corey J. Bennett
      '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Hey Corey,

IF you'll look at the Microfiche online, you'll see that the gear with teeth is up at the starter motor section. But the one that's causing you the problem is the starter CLUTCH down in the engine and oil, it fits around the main shaft, has 3 pinch rollers that when turned one direction slide down against the shaft and grab it kinda like a pipe wrench. But with very cold temps and thick oil, it can occasionally slip. But like you stated, will usually grab after a while. So..don't worry about it while the temps are very cold!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

That is a relief. It all makes sense after looking at it.

I'm used to living down south were the weather was much more tolerable, for both me and my bike evidently. Guess we'll both have to get use to subzero temps, eh?
          Corey J. Bennett
          '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Full synthetics and thick viscosity oils seem to make mine worse during cold weather. I know that the bigger number on the multigrade oil designation (ie, 20W50) is supposed to represent the viscosity at higher temperatures and the lower one is supposed to govern at lower temps, so using 10W50 in winter temps "shouldn't" make a difference, but it does.

Put a heater near the crankcase to warm it up as much as you can (in a garage?) and it will help the starter stay engaged long enough to fire.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

battery?

Hi Corey,
              hit the button and the starter whines but the engine don't turn over? But only sometimes? Happened to my XS11SG after it was down with charging problems for a while before it got fixed. After an "Oh f**k it what now?" moment it turned out that the battery was low. Overnight recharge and Vroom! As a Q&D test, try booster cables from your car battery. If it starts good when boosted you got battery trouble which is a better thing to have than needing an engine teardown to get at the starter clutch.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks for all the comments.

I decided last night to try the heater idea, but I was blessed with a warm-ish day today... and she started without heat!

As for the charging system, it did start better with the car hooked up (more starting amps, right?). After she started and ran for a bit without the cables, she was good to go.

Now its time for another forum search. You see, while she was down I adjusted the floats due to the gas in my oil. Now that it started, though, she doesn't run quite right. I think the float adjustment skewed my air/fuel mixture. Will adjusting th pilot screw affect my air/fuel mixture under load (on the road)? or does that just affect the mixture ad idle? To my understanding it is the latter, but I have been confused before! :S
                Corey J. Bennett
                '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Hey Corey,

The pilot jet screws(idle adjusting screws on the front top of carbs) will affect the low speed performance of the engine, not jus the idle. And so if you are having trouble getting off the line and having to use more throttle, then you may have leaned them out a bit like you said when you raised your floats. So...turning the screws out, try 1/2 turns each and then see how it behaves, if not as good, then another 1/2 turn.
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Gotta synch 'em

Anytime you take of the carbs, adjust anything, or anything else with them carbs, it is necessary to synch 'em. You will be amazed at how much better it will run.... I spent the $50 for a good mercury type synch tool and it was the best investment I ever made. Nothing like a smooth running bike that idles evenly at rediculus speeds like 500 rpm.
                    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system

Comment

I was telling myself as I fell asleep last night that I need a mercurcy gauge. Funny how these bikes take over every waking minute of your life, no?

Where is the best place to get one, a mercury gauge that is? Where did you get yours, planedick?
                      Corey J. Bennett
                      '79 XS1100SF

Comment

I can't remember

I'm thinking it was cycle-recycle I got my synch tool. Just did a search and found that Motion Pro has a new model without mercury, but it's more expensive, $99

Drilled airbox
                        Tkat fork brace
                        Hardly mufflers
                        late model carbs
                        Newer style fuses
                        Oil pressure guage
                        Custom security system

Comment

Definitely on the wish list. For now, I'll just stick to jumping around with one bouncy vacuum gauge
                          Corey J. Bennett
                          '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Gas in your oil is more common of a leaking float pin. It would probably be best to set them back to the stock level and clean your float pins and seats.
                            United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                            If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                            "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                            "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                            Acta Non Verba

Comment

Copy that, HobbyMan. Just finished that the day before yesterday. Runs good now, after a synch (as planedick mentioned)!

thanks!
                              Corey J. Bennett
                              '79 XS1100SF

Comment

Working...
                              X