trans headache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trans headache

I need gears for my 78 and i have found lots of 1980 & 1981 sets will they work or no ?? and dose any one have a good set willing to sell??

Looking at part numbers on Yamaha's part s page, I would say that they are all the same. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I need gears

So whats up (or down) with your gears?
      or be it a dog proplem?

mro

Comment

All the gears are the same, even including the XJ's. You can even buy them new still, but they are pricey. As MRO asked, what's the problem? Most of the time, what you have can be fixed.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

well 1st gear can only be used under 1000 rpm and 2nd it will cer chunk if i get on it hard they might be could be fixed but i want a new set just incase i would like to fix it the same day i start

Comment

Don't know if they'll fit......

BUT....

I have a set of gears from an XS750, it's a 1978 standard, had low miles, shifted nicely.
            bike is almost tore down.
            I should have them out in the next couple of days,

If anyone knows maybe they'd be kind enuf' to put in thier 2 cents.

Thanks, John
            1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
            "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
            My Photo Bucket

Comment

Read up on the 2nd gear fix. The dogs that engage the holes in the gears are worn and rounded at the edges. When you apply power, it tries to push the gears apart... and does in your case. With the 2nd gear fix, it slightly bevels the dogs and gear holes to where it actually pulls them together under power. A new set of gears from Yamaha will have this bevel already in them since they fixed this inherant problem... but a complete set costs more than most of our bikes are worth.

You could get a used replacement set, but I suggest you do this fix on those gears before swapping since you'll probably have the problem again in time with them.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

i also have a xs750 thr gears are different thanks.
                i will back cut the new gears i install or just fix my own thanks for the imput

Comment

Hey Clint,

The new gears you can get from Yamaha are already back cut, they figured out the problem and changed them. You'll need actually 4 gears, 1st and 4th as a set, and 2nd and 5th as a second set, since they mesh with each other, and the slots of the meshing one will be rounded down as well as the dogs of the opposing gear.

I've done the repair in a weekend, but it could go a little faster if you had a second set of gears to PRE-grind/back cut and have ready, vs. buying the $$ new ones ready to go!! Good luck!
                  T.C.

BTW, if you'll check out the several tech tips in the Repair section, tranny, you'll find some helpful info for this project!
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Dose any one now a good web site to find oem part numbers thanks

Comment

Yep,

It's in the LINKS section of the FORUM under thread OFFICIAL YAMAHA PARTS FICHE web site!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham

Comment

It was my understanding that since the problem in the tranny is inherent to all factory XS/XJs'...the problem is in the 2nd and 5th gear set and not the 1st /4th gear set....in which case you'd save some money and have your inherent problem fixed.This is my plan for Madmax.Bobby Pugh of Stillwater Kawasaki reccommended this to me...he said afull set of new gears would run $4-5k!Just the 2nd/5th gearset replaced with the new facctory backcut gears would be $1000!Cant wait....for'08!!!Does this make sense to you all??
                        Last edited by madmax-im; 12-30-2007, 12:36 PM.
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Hey MadMax,

$1k for just 2 gears....GEEZ! You can get the FULL 4 gear set for the Countershaft.....really the only ones that need to be replaced for IIRC ~$300-$400! And yes, 2nd/5th gear was the most common, but he has also described problems using any kind of throttle in 1st, which means he also has rounded dogs on the 4th gear, will need the slotted 1st gear to match, has 6 flat landings vs. the 3 oval dogs/slots of the 2nd/5th gear set!!

Several folks have reported problems with their 1st gears as well as their 2nd. On mine, 1st went 1st, and then a few months later 2nd started to fail since I was no longer using 1st for as much throttle as before, and so 2nd was getting the brunt of the accel force, and it was also worn and rounded!!!

Since folks have to go thru a lot to get to the 2nd/5th gear set, and the 1st/4th are on the same shaft, it just makes sense to check, clean or regrind those flat dogs/slots while you're in there, IMHO! But $4-5K for a full set... Big B. S. !!!!
                          T.C.
                          T. C. Gresham

Comment

Damn TC...I think i will re think my plan here...ok On my bike the slippage is while the bike is in first gear but is still in its early stages ...as I can wind thru first without getting to slip but I try to save the harder acceleration for second gear.Also the slippage is just that ...it never comes out of gear...So based on that...what do you think I need to fix this?I would rather get the newer factory backcut gears.Also where would I look to find these.If I bought them myself how much would it be for a whole new set???Or do you honestly think/feel that the dremel fix is the most cost effective way to go? I really appreciate your opinion and insights here.
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

OH and while we are at this topic ....I expect to pay a mechanic to perform their labor in the boring out of the engine of my '82 XJ11...with so many aspects to address in this process..I am hardly aware of the right way to go here.So what would you expect to pay for having the 1100 bored out to 1196cc with engine porting and polishing ...intake work ...removing the MAC stock exhaust header baffles and replace with a Supertrapp set up ...?Since I was quoted a price i'd rather not publicize at this point but now I am curious as to what you think this should cost??? Bascically I was looking to to do what Maximan had done to Zilla.The difference being in that I would have a special WISECO Big Bore kit to fit the XJ's late model pistons and heads...giving me a compression ratio of 10:1...and 100+HP with approx 70 ftlbs torque.
                              Last edited by madmax-im; 12-30-2007, 08:24 PM.
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X