Header mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header mystery

I bought a Jardine 4-1 back last spring and rode for over 6 months/3000 miles and the headers did not discolor at all. Now after riding just 3 or 4 times in the last several weeks they have changed to a dark gold. Anyone know why they would go so long without any change and then change so quickly?
    Robert
    79 SF

at a guess ignition timing,or ambiant temprature?
    mick
    xs1.1s(x2)
    gsxr1100(1127)
    gsx1100g(x2)
    trophy900
    bonneville750

http://www.tonyfoale.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chopper
      at a guess ignition timing,or ambiant temprature?
      Timing is the same, but it is much colder here now. I would have thought that the cooler ambient temp. would have acted to keep the headers cooler, but perhaps there now being a greater swing in pipe temp. has something to do with it, or using the choke more. ???
      Robert
      79 SF

Comment

TEMPERATURE
        When the temperature goes up, the air density decreases, thus you have less air available for combustion and your air fuel ratio becomes richer. The same works in reverse. As the temperature goes down, you end up with more air per cubic foot, and without re-jetting your carburetor, the engine will run leaner.

This from a racing article website

Interesting...
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Wow, I never would have guessed that running my bike in colder weather would cause my engine to run enough hotter to discolor the pipes.
          Robert
          79 SF

Comment

Working...
          X