Speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer

Tach works speedometer does not (HELP). Speedometer has not worked since i bought the bike a year ago. Has new cable on it. I thought it might be the gear in the front hub was stripped,but before i take off the front tire i thought i would try an old trick my father showed me on cars to check to see if the speedometer was broken. You disconnect the cable from the front hub and hook a drill to the end of the cable and run the drill wide open. I did this and the speedometer needle did not move. Will this work? And if so , what next? Can you take the speedometer apart to repair it?
    Last edited by Bikeboy; 01-12-2003, 11:06 PM.
    Chris 79 XS11F With mods....!!!!!! 2005 FXST Harley Softail

You might want to take a look at this recent thread:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...&threadid=1427

While the discussion concerned an XJ speedometer, much of it should apply to the XS as well.

Short answer: if the speedo is bad, no fixing it. Yamaha sold the speedo and tach only as complete units, and replacement parts are not available as separate items.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

The cablework seems to be the problem with these bikes as far as I can tell. They are free-moving parts, no bearings. I grinded the teeth out of 3 speedo-meters before I figure the problems causing it to lock up.

1. Cabel Worm needs lubricant. Being older, probably needs it a lot.
      2. There was a screw that was too long. A 16 year old mechanics daughter spotted that.

Just my observation so far. If you buy one, watch out to make sure everything is clear from other parts.
      Got to fix it before I can ride it

82 XJ11

Comment

Working...
      X