No announcement yet.

Do you ride your XS11 everyday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That picture was a group picture taken at the 1991 Ride the Rockies Rally.

I, and my girlfreind, rode from Edmonton to Mt. Robson B.C. It started snowing before we left Edmonton, and snowed the entire way. We stayed overnight at Mt. Robson, Jorges, the founder of Cycle Canada gave us his cabin. The next day we drove back to Jasper, again snowing the whole way, then went up to Maligne Lake for supper.

I got a trophy for dragging my trailer all that way in the snow.

I'm the guy in the orange rainsuit, far left of the photo. Christine (ex ol lady) is the one standing beside my bike.

In 1993, a buddy, Bruce, decided to take his SECA 750 to Chilliwack, B.C., during spring break. The weather WAS gorgeous, for that time of year. Hoever, the day he had to head back, Western Canada got one of the biggest blizzards in years. It snowed nearly 2ft in 2 days. Bruce rode his SECA all the way from B.C. to Edmonton, via Calgary.

When he got to Edmonton, he was riding north on Calgary trail and when the light turned red and the truck in front of him stopped, he ran into the back of the truck, lightly. The truck driver jumped out of his truck, and strode back to give Bruce a piece of his mind, when he stopped, looked and started laughing.

He and Bruce put the SECA in the back of the guys truck and he drove Bruce the rest of the way home. He looked like Frosty the Snowman, and was starting to suffer from Hypothermia....

There was no damage to either vehicle.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

what picture?
      Si Parker
      '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

Not anymore

I have a truck now but back in the 80s I only had a bike for two years. A couple buddies of mine always kid me about the tmes they saw me with my feet down like skies in the snow...Happy to have lived through it and happier now to have a truck.
        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
        1981 LH

Comment

Huh. I must be a wuss. I don't temp the g.reaper by riding in the snow, heavy frost or ice, even heavy rain. Do MC tires plane? Mix the winds here on Whidbey (common 15-30mph) with these other conditions, and your glad to be sitting on your balls, otherwise they'd be in your throat half the time. No thanks, I've got two 4x4's plus chains if I need them.
          Geno

Comment

You gotta do what ya gotta do. 45mpg/bike vs. 12mpg/Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. I suck it up, pull on the mucklucks, and fire up the XJ1100. I'll ride whatever the temperature, as long as the roads are clear and dry. Then, my worse enemy is loose sand, but I've learned to cope with that. It's just a matter of knowing how to dress. Yesterday, my wife so me heading out and told me that even if anything did happen to me on the road, I'd probably just bounce, I was wearing so many layers.
            The life of a Repo Man is always intense.

Comment

"what picture?"

The one in my previous post....

Last edited by Crazcnuk; 12-08-2007, 12:13 AM.
              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I do now!

Every beautiful sun filled summers day. All year riding in Oz

Dan
                Lucky Country Dweller
                Automotive Imbecile.
                Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
                '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
                1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Re: I do now!

Originally posted by Stralya
                  Every beautiful sun filled summers day. All year riding in Oz

Dan
                  Lucky Country Dweller
                  Yeah, but you have all those weird and dangerous animals that don't live anywhere else on the planet. You may get to ride year round, but those lethal critters are always figuring out new ways to do you in.
                  The life of a Repo Man is always intense.

Comment

You don't have women there?

I'm dead.

The late Dan.
                    Automotive Imbecile.
                    Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
                    '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
                    1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

In years past I would ride thru the winter but only if weather and raod conditions allowed it safely...any snow,ice,sand or salt and I would not go out.Since Madmax has never had a real fairing,and I have never used heated clothing...I would have to dress like I was going skiing.This year I have bought another bike that has a full fairing and offers up some of the best wind and weather protection out there.This other bike is not a Yamaha...in fact it is the first non Yamaha I have ever owned..as you could see from my sig....its a Honda ST1100.I have just bought a Vetter Windjammer IV off ebay for Madmax.Cant wait to get it...He has never had anything more than those fork mounted plexiglass windshields...and I was never happy with any of them.So I am hoping to get the kind of protection from this Vetter on my XJ11,as I get from my ST11.
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I don't have a car, and ride all winter.

This year I am cheating, though, and using a Ural Patrol. 2wd rocks. I am using the time to fixe everything I have ever wanted to fix on my special. Alaska to TDF has been on my mind, though I might start with just Alaska.
                        I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

I ride daily in north cali to and from work, rain or shine
                          80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Except for the road antifreeze goop

I would ride any day, even with a bit of slush, except for the road antifreeze goop, they are now putting on our roads.They now use liquid, I Googled it: it is magnesium chloride, supposed to be 70% less corrosive than the ol' rock salt my Dept of Highways used to bless us with.
                            Anyway, the last time I came home after exposure to that funk,was about a week ago. Today Sunday, I finally got some time to rinse it off. Well.....that goop must have aged my bike by a year in just one week, I just about had a cow!!! There was rust on my disk brakes, horns, chrome etc. And that on my priced 80SG vintage beast with collector plates. Anyway, I did clean her up good, dish soapy water, but given the unavailability of stock exhaust systems, I will have to stay off the roads when there is goop. Unless I get one of my other restore bikes to to the deed.....
                            Crazcnuk, my 79F looks like yours, and once I do the fix on 2nd gear, that one will have to be the winter unit. Nice pipes on yours, looking for a right side for mine.
                            Cheers, Jurgen
                            80 1100SG with 79 engine
                            79 1100F being restored
                            78 xs650 runabout (mpg, eh?)
                            Irreverence is the champion of liberty and its only sure defense

Comment

nubee

originally posted by sloop
                              I ride daily in north cali to and from work, rain or shine
                              So where abouts in nor-cal?
                              On the coast?

mro
                              Welcome to XSland
                              got any pics of your special?

Comment

Yeah, what part of NorCal???? I'm in Santa Cruz, Ride almost every weekday to San Jose, over 17. MRO is in the east bay, and we have 81sxproject in the far north, Eureka.
                                Ray Matteis
                                KE6NHG
                                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                                X