Head Gasket??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Gasket??????

Ok Im stumped and pleading for suggestions.
    Carbs just rebuilt. Bike will only run with choke fully out
    unless revving it over 3grand, you can rev it all you like
    it sounds healthy over 3k. Checked and checked for air
    leaks by using carb cleaner spray. Ive redone the boots
    twice sealing any possible air leak.
    Cylinders 2 and 3 are running extremely lean. Black carbon except
    for the tips and they are snow white. Cylinders one and four are
    a very nice color.
    If I spray under the boots of cylinders 2 and 3 there is a definate engine response.
    Am I missing an air leak here with the boots? Or is it possible the head gasket is going south and sucking air?

Thanks
    J
    captjerry
    86 GL1200A
    81 GL500
    81 XS1100 SH

did you by anchance sync the carbs after rebuild?
    Just an idea.
    Shawn
    78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
    78 XS1100E Parts
    www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Hey there Capt Jerry,
      Nice year/model of bike by the way!!!! You say you cleaned your carbs, how many times??? If only once, then you only have two more times to go!!! If you have searched and read the previous threads, you'll find that most folks report that they have to clean their carbs 3 times to get them truly clean!!!
      What you describe sounds like your idle circuit is clogged, not getting enough gas until you hit the throttle allowing the mains to contribute?? Like the other poster said, did you at least Eyeball synch them before replacing them back on the bike? Also, you say you've sealed the boots. Do you mean you sealed them where they attach to the head, or did you spray sealant all around the whole outside of the boot. They can crack and get leaks both from the outer shell area, as well as the mating surface against the head.
      I used that black #2 gasket sealant when I put my boots back on after my topend job, used spray on rubber to seal the outer skin of the boots. If you had a head gasket leak you'd have more trouble than what you described. Have you done a simple compression test?? That would give you a rough idea of your valves and piston rings and head gasket condition.
      I hate to tell you this, but you may have to pull the carbs again, and ensure that the pilot jet circuit is cleared. Are the tops of the carbs throats next to where they mount into the rubber boots still sealed with a little round metal cap, that covers the Pilot jet screw and allows access to part of the idle circuit. They are usually factory sealed, and if your's are still there, then it's kinda difficult to be sure you've gotten the idle circuit really clean.
      Also, do you still have your octopus, are you sure you're getting fuel to the center carbs?? Check the tech tips on how to test your octopus valve, or just bypass it and run straight from tank to "T" to carbs. Good luck, let us know how it goes.
      **Disclaimer...I'm not a carb guru!!!!**
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I think that if you had a problem with the octopus, carbs 1&2 or 3&4 would be affected. Not 1&4 or 2&3.

Seems that with the "definate engine response" when spraying on carbs 2&3, it would point to a vacuum leak on those two cylinders rubber intakes, gaskets or caps. Those rubber caps that seal the vacuum test connectors of the rubber intakes can get hard and leak a good bit of air.

Good Luck!
        Bill Murrin
        Nashville, TN
        1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
        1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
        2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
        2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
        1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
        2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

They were "bench sync'd" another words pilot jets 1 1/4 turns, butterflies set and floats set to spec.
          Octopus is removed and fuel ran directly from the tank to the carbs.
          None of the cracks were through the boots, just the surface, however to insure this coated with RTV and sprayed them with a rubber spray.
          Made new gaskets for inbetween the boots and head, as a final straw I coated these last night before bed with RTV gasket sealant.
          Carbs go back on in a little while and I will test it again.
          captjerry
          86 GL1200A
          81 GL500
          81 XS1100 SH

Comment

It's Alive!!!!
            Went through everything one more time and its alive.
            Seems healthy. Now it idles where Monday it can get sync'd properly with merc sticks.
            Guess I sealed up air somewhere along the way. I guess around the 12th times a charm.

Now if only someone would tell me if they have rubber tire valve stems......

Thanks for the input
            J
            captjerry
            86 GL1200A
            81 GL500
            81 XS1100 SH

Comment

I forgot just how strong these bikes are..... Its been 21 years since my last one and been riding Wings since.
              30 degrees outside and had to try it out
              Runnin G R E A T!
              Handles like a brick but runs strong.
              captjerry
              86 GL1200A
              81 GL500
              81 XS1100 SH

Comment

Working...
              X