• Show
Clear All

• front end noise

Hi to everyone- I've been delaying this post because I haven't
    been able to come up with a comparrison for the sound the front
    end makes. I can tell you what it does not sound like: grinding,
    rubbing, and now, my brain is working. It is a type of roaring with
    a whine and a screaming effect.

I start off and almost-almost instantly it starts, does not increase in intensity at higher speeds but when you start slowing down you can identify it. I went to the top of a hill and started down with the engine running through several gears and then I pulled the clutch in and turned off the motor---going 40 or 50mph it was still making the noise.

Jacked the bike up and their was drag on the front tire. Front brake assembly off, drag remained. I took the front left side off (which is for back brake) and the front wheel spun freely.

The pads on that side (left) were thin. After removing the pads I collapsed the piston back into the housing. The new pads are now on that side but the bike still makes the noise. One thing, that piston is not releasing all the way--holding some drag on the front tire.

I read the threads on front end noise but didn't think any of them applied except, maybe fork alignment.

The caliper and piston will have to be dealt with I know , but I really don't think that is the problem.

Any suggestions?

dodjh
    Semper Fidelis to my brothers serving on foreign hostile soil

Sounds like one of the front end caliper holders is out of alignment. With the calipers off, the rotor should be centered in the slot in the caliper holder. This is part of the fork alignment procedure.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

I recently experienced a similar thing, and I found that the speedo drive needed some lube. They can be disassembled and lubed.

Comment

front end noise

Ken,

After jacking the front end up, the first thing I did was watch the tracking of the rotors in the calipers to see if possibly the rotors were warped: they had the same clearance all the way around, both front sides.

John, I will check the speedo drive for lubrication.

I'm still puzzled as to what is causing the noise.

dodjh

Comment

You may be needing front wheel bearings soon...
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I am going to jump in with John. I think it is your speedo drive or perhaps even the speedo itself. The place where the cable goes into the speedometer may be dragging and need some lubrication. Your speedo will still work but may be only a couple of MPH slow...not enough to notice. But it will drag the cable enough to make a sort of whizzing or whirring sound from the speedo drive by the front wheel. Eventually your cable will break and the noise will stop...along with your speedo. Happened to me a few years ago. Try and lube it all up....easy and cheap to do and at least it will rule one thing out for you.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Speedo
              Bearing
              Brakes

Speedo, what John says, or maybe even the speedo cable.

Bearing, if you have not ever checked it would do so even if it's not the problem. Can be a safety hazord if it fails while riding.

Brakes, ride it for five minutes but use only one brake, stop and check the rotors to see if draging (if draging should be warm/hot to touch). Then can do same for the other one. Piston in caliper can become corroded and stick.

mro

Comment

Hate to say, "me, too"...but,

Me too. dodjh, I had a bad wheel bearing once that made noise at low speed and could not be heard above 20 mph (not that it wasn't making noise...just couldn't hear it). Pulled the front wheel and discovered that the right bearing was bad. Interestingly, after I replaced it, I had the same noise within three weeks. Pulled the front wheel back off, guess what, no bad bearings. Same noise, though.

I wrecked my bike in 1993 (t-boned a Saab...his drunk-@ss fault)...insurance paid the full bill. New front wheel, new fork tubes, headlight assembly, mirrors, etc. Only reason I mention it is because I've had front end noise since then. Most likely a bent rotor...doesn't take much...0.010" run-out would likely make noise. Haven't put a dial indicator on either rotor, though. I know...lotta words, not much tech.

Check out those wheel bearings.

If Comp Acc will ever send my new Dunlop Elite II for the front-end, I'll do a thorough diagnostic (fork alignment, speedo drive, rotor run-out, head tube bearings) and report my findings here.

Anything else I should check?

Robert
                XJ1100 - Stock
                XV750 - POS parts bike

Comment

front end noise

Thanks Ray, Mike, mro and Robert for the feedback. I tryed to free up the piston on the left front but it still drags a little.

The wheel bearing and speedo are my next targets. Each of you mentioned speedo and bearings---I am more optimistic about finding the cause now.

I appreciate each of your time and advice in trying to help me
                  find the location of the noise.

I will post what I find out,

dodjh

Comment

my first thought is the master cylinder is gummed up. that will make the front brakes drag. check out the tech tips for information on how to clean it completely

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
                    Second bike is an FJR1300.
                    Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

I think a key word in that search might be "spooge".

Originally posted by RUSH
                      my first thought is the master cylinder is gummed up. that will make the front brakes drag. check out the tech tips for information on how to clean it completely
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

gummed up... "spooge".

XJ,
                        linked brakes left front and rear

Brake not releasing can damage rotor, be it from "spooge" or corroded piston. Also constant heating can "brake" down old brake fluid...

mro

Comment

front end noise

I tryed all of the suggestions (except for master cylinder purge)
                          and the noise continues. Took off wheel, speedo cable, checked axle bearings and axle---put it all back together and went for a test ride.

The noise started before I got 50 yards down the road. I turned around and ran off the road in my turn, down a steep embankment and was tossed into a barb wire fence. I'm glad my two sons were in shouting distance. The windshield is probably ruined because of all the gas streaming out of the tank on to it.

Well my repairs have increased---bad day.

dodjh

Comment

WOW real bummer about the mishap . Glad your OK.

Have you checked the speedo cable itself. If it's on its last legs it can make some odd noise inside the cable casing. check it
                            lube in in any case
                            Rob
                            Last edited by 79XS11F; 11-16-2007, 05:50 PM.
                            KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                            1978 XS500E
                            1979 XS1100F Restored
                            1980 XS1100 SG
                            1981 Suzuki GS1100
                            1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                            1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

front end noise

Hey Rob,

I disconnected the speedometer cable from the guage and axle and put drops of oil in it until it was lubricated from end to end. There was no kink or bind on the cable in the housing.
                              I've noticed on other vehicles that the needle will start dancing prior to cable fatigue. Mine has never shown that but---that
                              doesn't mean it may be the source of the noise.

dodjh

Comment

Working...
                              X