No announcement yet.

I really screwed the pooch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one said it isn't an important part. Your ignoring the point.

The point is: One shouldn't assume.

As Hobbit, and I, have both pointed out, the battery is more than likely shot.

IT DOESN"T HURT TO CHECK IT OUT!

Even a brand new battery can fail and leave you stranded, so if this really worries you, I fail to see how you drive around at all, in a 30ish year old bike. There are at least a dozen components on your XS that could fail and leave you stranded at any moment. Some of which you've likely never bothered to check.

I've spent the last 30 years riding around on bikes that were far from new. In fact the newest one I've ever owned was still 4 years old when I first got it, and I rode it for 14 years.

I've also never had the battery harm any other part in any vehicle I've owned.

I've not suggested anyone to ride out a faulty battery. I just said to CHECK it, before running down and plopping money on the counter. My 'assumption' is that the batttery is hooped, and he will know it right away, but I had one, in the same state, that lasted over a year after I filled it
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk
      No one said it isn't an important part. Your ignoring the point.

The point is: One shouldn't assume.

As Hobbit, and I, have both pointed out, the battery is more than likely shot.

IT DOESN"T HURT TO CHECK IT OUT!

Even a brand new battery can fail and leave you stranded, so if this really worries you, I fail to see how you drive around at all, in a 30ish year old bike. There are at least a dozen components on your XS that could fail and leave you stranded at any moment. Some of which you've likely never bothered to check.

I've spent the last 30 years riding around on bikes that were far from new. In fact the newest one I've ever owned was still 4 years old when I first got it, and I rode it for 14 years.

I've also never had the battery harm any other part in any vehicle I've owned.

I've not suggested anyone to ride out a faulty battery. I just said to CHECK it, before running down and plopping money on the counter. My 'assumption' is that the batttery is hooped, and he will know it right away, but I had one, in the same state, that lasted over a year after I filled it
      I don't think I am ignoring the issue. I think it's pretty safe to assume that a battery that has be let to go dry or been boiled dry will be unreliably and quit without notice. Discovering that it was dry is notice enough to replace the battery. Given the added resistance of old wiring and connections makes it even more important to address this now. Any manual will tell you that any part that is questionable should be replaced. This battery is now questionable. They don't say must be replaced they say should be replaced. It's always a judgment call by the person doing the work and I will leave it at that. The owner of the bike in question may do as he sees fit... It's his bike.
      Rob
      KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
      1978 XS500E
      1979 XS1100F Restored
      1980 XS1100 SG
      1981 Suzuki GS1100
      1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
      1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Just my 2 cents, but I tried to start the '80G two weeks ago, and the battery was weak. Yanked it out and couldn't see any signs of electrolyte, but it was Sunday, and I wanted to ride, so I dumped about a pint of distilled water into it, hooked up the trickle charger and started yardwork. About an hour and a half later, when I checked it, the charger showed green and I replaced the battery. Bike fired up and I got in about 100 miles before dark.
        Last weekend I rode 1,050 miles from Richmond, VA to Freeport, OH and back, primarily on 2-lane roads, same battery, no problems. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Better yet, in warm weather, check the battery and top off the electrolyte with distilled water once every month or so. Most of us would rather ride than wrench, but there are minimum requirements to keep these antiques running.
        80 G "The Beast"
        81 H "The Dresser"
        79 XS650 II
        82 650 Maxim
        70 DT-1 Enduro
        66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
        96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

Each to his own. I never assume. I test it.

If it works, I go with it, if it doesn't I replace it.

Certain things I change on a used vehicle, others I change when I need to. I've never had to do any kind of major repair 'on the road'.

Worst thing that happened to me, away from home, was I broke the chain on my decked 750-4 trying to do a wheelie, about 25 minutes from town.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
          X