Does anyone know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know?

I'm experiencing the losing of bolts connecting the universal to the middle drive again. Someone told me that these bolts are of a special type. Is it true?
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

They are in deed listed in the manual as Special hardened steel and the manual says to not reuse them ... Myself .. I have never had an issue with them but i use lock tight on them :-)
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Some times head bolts are made for one time use. They stretch when they are torqued and then that's the end of their life. Once loosened your supposed to get new ones. That being said I always re-used head bolts and never had a problem. Can you use lock washers maybe?
      79 XS11 special

Comment

Lock washers

When I got Pathfinder it had the bolts that came out and they were lockwashers on them, but I don't think they are the right bolts as they are certainly not hard. When they come loose they hit the AHCS on the back of the middle drive. They get all mashed and bent yet the AHCS's show no signs of being hit. I guess the best bet is to get some grade 8 bolts for them. I was thinking maybe they were like shoulder bolts because the holes they go through is kind of big for the bolts.
        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
        Tkat fork brace
        Hardly mufflers
        late model carbs
        Newer style fuses
        Oil pressure guage
        Custom security system

Comment

Hey Dick,

The fiche calls them Washer based Hex Bolts, so does sound like what you are calling shoulder bolts...in other words, bolts with hex heads and built in round washer at base of hex head.

I don't remember using locktite on mine, haven't had any problems, but they were OEM!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I know

TC, I know what you're talking about "washer based hex bolts" but shoulder bolts have a smooth precision shaft under the head with threads at the bottom that usually fits in a machined hole . I can get grade 8 washer based hex bolts so when I trade out this motor I'll put them in and probably use locktite too.

Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system

Comment

bolts