HELP: clutch re and re

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: clutch re and re

hey, I just re and re'd my clutch (took it out to clean, etc) and here is the problem....

Start the bike in neutral (no problem), go to put it in 1st or 2nd, it stalls out right away. I also noted that when the bike is in gear, it remains in gear (even with the clutch lever pulled) and won't roll freely until it's shifted to neutral.

I assume the clutch is stuck in the engaged position for some reason. I followed tech tips on this page, made sure the boss/ assembly was seated properly, clutch cable is adjusted properly, etc...

Any thoughts ?

Cheers and thanks !

Read here...

Link

Kevin was having the same problems as you... it turned out to be clutch adjustment problems. Good luck.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

clutch cable is adjusted properly, etc...

Can be problems if:
      Clutch adjusting screw not adjusted properly
      Push lever not in right posistion
      One or more of the balls fall out of retainer
      Thrust washer on shaft missing

Above are a few things that will make it difficult for clutch to disingage assuming that clutch was reasembled right and adjustment at hand control good.

mro
      Stretched cable can do it too.
      With cover plate off clutch can have someone squeeze lever so you can see cable lift push lever (can do it yourself if ya got long arms )

Should move about an inch when pulled. If the lever moves good then has to be problem with adjusting screw or in clutch it self

Comment

Clutch adjustment.

I'm still a newbie so Guru's corect me if I am wrong. But from my trials and errors I learned the following;

Make sure you are getting it right for the levers starting point of engagement. If you have not done so, when it is apart you can move the lever by hand to see the movement and what it is you will be adjusting. Notice the ball bearing system you don't want to come apart when in place but not locked down

Bump the motor over a few times and get oil back in the clutch. It is a wet clutch system. After lever adjustment and before pulling cable with lever I usually start it and let oil circulate and then do final hand lever adjustment..

When you screw in the adjusting screw fresh after R & R you have to have the mechanism draw up tight so this is no more in and out play. Then get the locking nut almost tight, your next turn you will feel the heavier resistance from the clutch lever actuator pin pushing against the clutch and notice the lever starting to lift. That is where you back it off from and lock the nut. Now with a little adjusting from the clutch cable handle adjustment you should be set.
        Gary Luckin
        '78 XS1100E Full Dress
        '74 DT175A Enduro
        '86 Husqvarna 400XC Cross Country
        My Avatar is "Rolle Free"
        breaking the speed record in 1948
        check this out;
        http://outside.away.com/outside/destinations/200701/utah-bonneville-salt-flats-motorcycle_1.html

Comment

Better yet, when people take the clutch side cover off, disconnect the cable from the arm and leave the rest alone! Pull the sidecover off leaving the arm and everything attached and you won't have to mess with adjustment when it goes back together. And you don't even have to drain the oil to do this with the bike on the sidestand.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I have always re-set clutch adjusting screw anytime I've had a clutch out. Takes only a few seconds.
            Turn screw in until it touches, then back it off 1/4 turn and lock it down.

mro

Comment

thanks for the additional info guys.

I did soak the clutch plates, et al in an oil bath before re installing.

I think I have figured out what I did wrong, when installing teh clutch basket back onto the main gear, I didn't use a couple star bolts to hold the plates in place, so I have a feeling what happened was that the plates lifted a little and are binding, thus causing them to be in contact and not releasing.

Now my only hope is that 1, that is the problem, and 2, the plates aren't bent !!

I know for sure teh basket is on far enough and all thrust washers, etc are installed !

maybe tomorrow i'll get her apart again !!

thanks all !!

Comment

hey all, thanks for the help and advice !

Today I took the side cover off again, just to confirm everything was seated properly (it was!). I threw it back together and noted that in gear, clutch pulled, the bike rolled, but not super easily as if it were in neutral. ANyways, I started her up, warmed it up about 10 - 15 mins and was able to ride. Of course, it started to pour rain, so I only went up and down the alley a couple times.

No matter how's she's adjusted, it still won't roll super easily in gear, there is no creep, but at the same time, it just doesn't roll as free as though it were in neutral.

Anyways, as a tech tip, I think the OIL BATH (plates and discs) would have probably saved me from taking it apart again !!

Thanks again, I thnk it's good enough, if not, no biggie I'll replace the clutch/ springs, etc !!

Cheers

Comment

Hi Zedman,

Sounds like you need a little less free play in the system; either the adjuster under the cover a little "tighter", or a touch less free movement at the lever..... either way, you are very close to perfection; move the adjustments a little, and se if it gets better or worse!!

AlanB
                  If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Hey, I tried ran the gambit of adjustments, from 0 free play to a tonne of free play, made no difference what so ever. Perhaps the oil just needs to circulate a wee bit more. Nonetheless it engages now ! It's not a daily rider anyways, so long as it's reliable, it's all good !

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X