A Question for Bagger Riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh

I thought that ya had it home or that was the pic Kat put up. Up here long jont to there but ya never know Hauled mine ftom Devivels Lake with neon couple hundred miles lots of bugs but mixed gas good

Comment

trukleon

The pic that Kat posted was of the 81 SH , formerly Foster Child. She has done a lot of cleaning and polishing on that bike. We will take some pics of it later today when we go to pay for it.

Comment

windsheilds

gustasson plastic makes all windsheild
        as ever bill
        bill hane

Comment

Got the Bag Lady off today

Just for grins, I decide to mess around with the Bag Lady today...Haven't been into messing with it much lately, still kinda hot to work outside. Wildkat and I went through the carbs last week. Today we got back from a ride, and I decided to pull the spark plugs and try to crank it over. #3 galled the treads, but I was able to clean them up with a thread chaser. I hooked the jumper cables up to my car, sprayed some PB'laster into the cylinders and let it set for a while. After a while I turned the ignition on and hit the starter button. It cranked over but kinda slow. I sprayed some more B'laster into the cyls and let it sit a few more minutes, and cranked it again. I replaced the spark plugs, and I then sprayed some carb cleaner into the intake boots (carbs are still off the bike), turned the ignition on, and hit the button. It fired right up and ran for a couple of seconds. I did this a few more times. Each time it busted right off. Now I need to rig up a fuel supply, install the carbs, and see how well it runs. I'm not expecting too much...yet. I'll bring my compression tester home from work, and test it in a couple of days.
          The tank had some rust flakes in it, so I pulled the petcocks off, and attached a small hose to the blower nozzle on my air hose and blasted the tank with 120 PSI of air. I went in through the filler neck. The flakes weren't as plentiful as I thought, and after a while of blowing and shaking, I was able to get most of the flakes out. I will put some Diesel fuel in it to rinse it out, and I hope the remaining rust flakes will be suspended in the Diesel, and be carried out when I drain the tank. The petcock filter towers were toast, but I have more.
          That's enough work for one day.

Comment

I have made a bunch of these over the years. Pretty easy to make if you watch out for the typical things when cutting plastic. I have done a couple out of Lexan, its alot tougher but when I found out the OEM unit is made out of acrylic, I quit hunting down Lexan when needing a new windshield. One of the things about Lexan is it is "directional". It has a UV coating on one side and the paper coverings will say "this side out". Keep that in mind when cutting Lexan, never mind how I know this. Cutting your own gives you options like color and height. My G is sporting a "shorty" windshield and is dark tinted. I also have a tall I would switch over to in the winter but to date, here in central Texas I have no use for it. I use a OEM unit as my pattern when tracing and cutting. "Cause of the curve in the unit, you hafta lay the OEM over your sheet, put your knee in the middle of it to make it flat. Typical precautions here, measure twice cut once. Mounting holes need to be right on or you will have hell mounting it. I gave up on the OEM, plastic mounting screws in favor of stainless allen head screws. A hand held orbital sander is great for the "finish" trimming and finish. Watch your saw speed, if you go to fast, it will "weld" the cut as you go. All in all, it should be no problem for you to make your own.

Moderators note WEBB - I presume you actually meant to say 'no problem for you' instead of 'a problem for you' If not, let me know and I'll set it back KT
            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Moderators note WEBB - I presume you actually meant to say 'no problem for you' instead of 'a problem for you' If not, let me know and I'll set it back KT [/B][/QUOTE]
              Ken, he knows me. It may be a problem for me.

Comment

Bringing baby home

Hi John,
                open your billfold & let U-Haul be your friend?
                These days I'm old & foolish but back when I was young & stupid if you bought a non-runner you took a buddy along on your pillion and towed it home.
                Safety tip:- Tie the rope to the towing bike's grabrail. Do NOT tie the rope to the towed bike. Take 3 turns of rope around the handlebars in the centre and have the towed bike's rider hold the end of the rope gripped onto the left handgrip so it can be let go of PDQ if needful.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred, If you had to negotiate 40 miles of 4-6 lane freeway through an area of 3-4 million people, most of them idiots, you would probably rethink that statement.
                  I have towed a non runner in the past, but that was back in my home state of Maine, where there were hardly any cars on the road in the early afternoon.

Comment

" I have towed a non runner in the past, but that was back in my home state of Maine, where there were hardly any cars on the road in the early afternoon."

Hi John,
                    I did say, "when I was young and foolish" eh?
                    And that was 50 years ago down the back streets of Bristol England because even then we dared not attempt towing a bike along the main roads.
                    So how did you (will you?) get the bike home?
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hi John,
                      no, it was "young and stupid" A witless foolhardy f***ing teenager even. O Lord,
                      I forgot that the last time I towed a bike was only 3 years ago and that was no backroad it was Alberta Hwy #13. My son was driving my little BSA to a bike rally and I was following him with my sidecar rig when the BSA fragged it's motor. Rather than abandon the BSA by the side of the road I rigged a towrope and we towed the bike with the rig mebbe 10km along the hard shoulder to the next little town.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred

We brought the bike home a couple of weeks ago. That is how I was able to tinker with it and get it fired off.

Comment

John,

I have a tank coating kit.

I have used a little of the sealer and none of the metal cleaner. There is probably more than enough sealer to do Bag Lady's tank.

I used Evapo-rust instead.

It worked well on the tank and small parts. Clogged up the gas cap though

I work at the Central Library (downtown Fort Worth) Saturdays.
                          I will give it to you if you want it.
                          I will probably never use it.
                          Nubee

Comment

Working...
                          X